Birdie Birdie Birdie Birdie Birdie!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
After a few days of my being weirded out and asking "Do you hear that?", Paul has found that our 3 finches are now 5!

Which is pretty exciting! And they're wicked uglycute!

But we don't know if we're supposed to be feeding them or leaving them. We're leaning towards leaving them. It's been a few days and they're not dead, so something good must be happening?

They have eggfood and millet and regular Hartz Finch Seed, and water.

Anyone? Anyone?

Dave

Good luck with that. We started with 2 zebra finches and had something like 15 at one point. They will breed like crazy if you leave a nest type thing in the cage.
All we did was feed them the finch seeds. Most of them survived. I think only 2 or 3 didn't make it mixed in with the other 13 and they didn't look healthy when they hatched. Guess the parents did a pretty good job keeping them fed.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm with him...Zebra Finches breed like mad. Just be prepared to get a second cage for the unmated males, as they can be a little violent at times...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We've found that the violent ones so far have been the little bitches. Our single male has been as sweet as pie. He could be depressed, though.

I dunno why they've picked now to procreate - we've had them forever. Maybe the house is warmer now than it was over the summer?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I'm with him...Zebra Finches breed like mad. Just be prepared to get a second cage for the unmated males, as they can be a little violent at times...

We have a second cage, in the basement, I jsut don't want to leave to one that lost his mate 8 months ago alone.

MrBishop

You can always use the feline version of option-B if they get too numerous.

My two finches lost to my 4 cats a few years back.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The big birdies sound like Road Runner, but the babies sound like Space Invaders.

I'm losing it. :tardbang: