Black friday - from the other side of the register

In the county I'm in, there are five RadioShacks (plus two "RadioShack dealers") and one Best Buy. Instead of having fewer but larger stores, RS has more small stores. The idea is to be a "neighborhood retailer."

My store generally sold about $1 million a year. RS has 6,000+ locations. My store was on the higher end of the RS store volume continuum, but still, consider 6,000 locations... even if the average store does $800K a year that's $4.8 billion in revenue each year.

I know. The average purchase at Radioshack is much less expensive, and there are more Radioshacks. It just cracked me up that they were excited about a number that seems very small compared to what Circuit City sells. Most people who work with the flat panel TVs can rake in $7000 in sales during an average weekend day, to think $7000 in sales for the entire day for the entire store on the busiest day of the year is funny.

The real money's in the cables and accessories for the TVs anyway. the commission rate on those (parts, batteris and accessories) is higher than the main products. There are alsp spiffs to be made on service-related items such as cell phones. I sold a $1300 (at the time) Cinego system as soon as it came out, before it was even on display in the store, sight unseen. No spiffs for that though.

Damn but Black Friday sounds nuts! Closest up here is like Nix said...boxing day!

I've never seen anyhting like is being described here though... closest to that kind of insanity was the Tickle me Elmo war where I happened to be in Toys R Us when a lot of Elmos came in. I remember picking one up to see what the big deal was. Then there was the rush...and a pallet of Elmos went 'poof'!! Just like that!

I was still holding onto my Elmo. Some guy offered me $40 for the privalege of taking it out of my hands and buying it from the store. Fuck it! I didn't have kids then...I took his cash and he got to buy that store's last Elmo. :D

Why were you at Toys R Us if you had no kids? Weren't the kind of toys you were looking for located in a store that has to keep its windows covered, in the seedy part of town not within 100 yards of a church or school?

Inkara1 said:
Why were you at Toys R Us if you had no kids?

Before my son was born, that was on the top 5 shopping places on my list. Toys are cool. Until you have to buy them & give 'em away.

Inkara1 said:
Why were you at Toys R Us if you had no kids? Weren't the kind of toys you were looking for located in a store that has to keep its windows covered, in the seedy part of town not within 100 yards of a church or school?
Board games mostly... but they sell video games as well. I also have 3 God-daughters (though, at the time, I only had 2) so, I'm sure that I had some reason for being in there.

The store that you're thinking of is "Toys 4 Twats"

Abba Jabba Joobah
Abooja is SO sexy!

don't fergit to kick CS in the head like all the other gurls round here have

Back