Blizzard

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So Trish, Spot, friends along the northeast seaboard...

Are you ready for some snowfall?

NYC said:
Statement as of 4:32 PM EST on February 11, 2006

... Blizzard Warning now in effect from 9 PM this evening to 4 PM
EST Sunday...

The Blizzard Warning is now in effect from 9 PM this evening to
4 PM EST Sunday.

Snow will become heavy at times overnight and continue into the
midday hours Sunday. Northeast winds will increase to 25 to 35 mph
with gusts up to 50 mph... creating blizzard conditions along with
considerable blowing and drifting of snow... mainly after midnight
and especially Sunday morning.

By the time the snow ends Sunday afternoon... accumulations should
average 10 to 16 inches... with locally higher amounts possible.

Boston said:
... Blizzard Warning in effect from 1 am to 7 PM EST Sunday...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Blizzard
Warning... which is in effect from 1 am to 7 PM EST Sunday. The
blizzard watch is no longer in effect.

Snow will break out across northern Connecticut... the South Coast
and the islands by midnight tonight... then spread north toward
Providence... Worcester... Boston and Cape Ann through 3 am Sunday.

Snow will continue during the day Sunday and come down heavy at
times. During the height of the storm Sunday afternoon... blizzard
conditions are possible with snowfall rates near 3 inches per hour.
Northeast winds gusting as high as 60 mph may produce white out
conditions with near zero visibility.

Total snow accumulations by Sunday night will range from 10 to 18
inches
... with lesser amounts of 6 to 10 inches on Nantucket where a
mix with rain is possible for a few hours Sunday afternoon. Isolated
snow totals of 2 feet are possible in the area from Providence to
Boston and southeast to the upper cape.p

cant wait.
the cars are off to one side of the driveway and the snow shovels are ready.
if its gonna snow, might as well be a worthwhile amount.

Its been a while for 'em... let 'em freeze. Besides, Greenfreaks job depends upon a nice solid deep freeze to keep the company nice and profitable.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy for work reasons. December was a good month, January was terrible. We're hoping February stays like this for a while, that way I won't be hearing about my work-friends getting laid off (or worrying about getting laid off myself).

One foot is really not a big deal it's just that we haven't had a significant snowfall in quite some time. I've got Rusty to shovel the driveway and the next door neighbor to clear the sidewalk with his snowblower. We have nowhere to go tomorrow. We have milk, coffee, hot cocoa. I think we're all set. :)
I was hoping to get out tomorrow morning to take some snow pictures but I didn't realize that the snow was going to continue that long. It's not even sticking to the streets yet.

hasnt started around here yet. i'm looking forward to taking some pics tomorrow too. have a couple nice ones from the last little flurry.

The surfers are going to be out in force tomorrow, looks like high tide will be between 5 and 11am and the wind is going to be coming straight off the shore. Want to see the insanity? Check out this link tomorrow after 7am (sunrise):

http://www.surferjims.com/surfcam.htm

If it wasn't for the blowing snow, I would probably brave it and walk down there tomorrow morning. But I don't think I'll risk the camera. Maybe I'll have some time later in the afternoon when it stops.

i'll be up that early tomorrow too.
i drove Diane to work tonight just in case it hits early. she really hates driving in the stuff.

we had that last week. went from grass to a few feet within a couple of days.

at least it makes for good hot chocolate days.

I measured a few hours ago and had one foot but it snowed for another couple of hours afterwards. It looks to be stopping now, just very light spray which could just be blowing snow. They said between 20 to 24 inches in the city.

My neighbor came by with the snowblower and did my sidewalks. It's good to be friendly with your neighbors! Now all Rusty has to shovel is from the front door to the sidewalk and the back of the driveway to the street. And two snowplows have been coming by every hour for each side of the street.

I wish every snowstorm could be like this.

AP said:
As much as 22.8 inches of snow fell in New York's central park, the second heaviest snowfall on record, topped only by a blizzard in 1947, said the National Weather Service.

I don't understand how that could be. That blizzard we had a couple of years ago was at least two feet. Remember I posted pictures of it here? And then there were two back-to-back storms about 10 years ago that dumped just as much.

Took the olds wagon out for a spin. Unplowed roads. Snow deeper than the ground clearance. 4,500 lb vehicle. Rear wheel drive. It got stuck a few times, but it was turning really tight, because when you turned the back slid out. It was funny, the car was never pointing in the right direction. The car was probably pointed 30* to one side of the road, but it was going down the road straight. Trying to correct only pointed it 30* in the other direction.

They started plowing the roads, so I went to the parking lot at the high school. ~3" deep there, must have been plowed this morning. Did a ton of slides and donuts. I was there for a half hour, and I don't think I had traction on the drive wheels for more than 10 seconds at a time. It's so much fun. All the weight is in the front, so it's really easy to get in a slide and stay in it. A dozen powdered donuts anyone?

Back