British police thwart aircraft bomb plot

MrBishop

LONDON - British authorities said Thursday they had thwarted a terrorist plot to simultaneously blow up several aircraft heading to the U.S. using explosives smuggled in carry-on luggage. Heathrow was closed to most flights from Europe, and British Airways canceled all its flights Thursday between the airport and points in Britain, Europe and Libya.

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said 21 people had been arrested in London, its suburbs and in Birmingham following a lengthy investigation, including the alleged "main players" in the plot.

Officials raised security to its highest level in Britain and banned carry-on luggage on all trans-Atlantic flights. Huge crowds formed at security barriers at London's Heathrow airport as officials searching for explosives barred nearly every form of liquid outside of baby formula.

The extreme measures at a major international aviation hub sent ripple effects throughout the world. Washington raised its threat alert to its highest level for commercial flights from Britain to the United States amid fears the plot had not been completely crushed. The alert for all flights coming or going from the United States was also raised slightly.

Two U.S. counterterrorism officials said the terrorists had targeted United Airlines, American Airlines and Continental Airlines. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

A U.S. intelligence official said the plotters had hoped to target flights to major airports in New York, Washington and California, all major summer tourist destinations.

The suspects were "homegrown," though it was not immediately clear if they were all British citizens, said a police official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case. Police were working closely with the South Asian community, the official said.

The official said the plotters intended to simultaneously target multiple planes bound for the United States.

"We think this was an extraordinarily serious plot and we are confident that we've prevented and attempt to committee mass murder on an unimaginable scale," Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said

Source and more

Security level RED imposed in the USA and in Great Britain. Good luck if you have to fly anywhere today and for the next few days.

MrBishop said:
Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said 21 people had been arrested in London, its suburbs and in Birmingham following a lengthy investigation, including the alleged "main players" in the plot.

This is what happens when they allow anybody to immigrate...

highwayman said:
This is what happens when they allow anybody to immigrate...
Recent additions to said news piece mentions "All home-grown" terrorists. They didn't immigrate there..they were born there.

The politics of the UK is more liberal then the US, but not as far as France. The terrorist may have been "home grown" but I'll bet dollars to donuts that a majorety of them are first generation Brits and not too far removed from their "roots". More then likely they could have close cousins living in other countries that are not too freindly to the west...

Boy, I can't wait to fly next Friday. 9 pm flight, should get there what, around 10 am to make it through security?

woodman19_99 said:
Boy, I can't wait to fly next Friday. 9 pm flight, should get there what, around 10 am to make it through security?

As long as you have round trip tickets, no bags & your Honor Guard patch, make it 11:25.

woodman19_99 said:

Depends upon how many people in front of you insist on arguing with security.

I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been any bitching yet.

Back