California considers scrapping welfare

The more power you give to the government, the more power they want. Nothing beats having the population at large beating down your door for more. Beauracrats...can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.

yeah, um, sparky, i'm saying that the 9/11 conspiracy theorists are as silly as the "liberals want more poor" hypothesizers. but thanks for trying.

Does the population also increase?

Or if you're talking recently I'd say it might have something to do with the stinking recession.

As the population is increases under 50+ years of programs designed to end welfare, we shouldn't need COLA increases for welfare. Hell, we ought to be done with poor people now.

The only poor in the world are "lazy fucks unwilling to work". :rofl3:

"The world" is not on our welfare roles.

Our "poor" have TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cars, washers and dryers, microwave ovens, computers, etc.

They are not living under a piece of corrugated steel sheeting which becomes a guillotine when the wind blows too hard.

They are not digging in the local dump for food scraps.

Many of our "poor" that you see on the streets are scam artists with a sign that says "Wuill work for food" or some such garbage.

Our "poor" have TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cars, washers and dryers, microwave ovens, computers, etc.

They are not living under a piece of corrugated steel sheeting which becomes a guillotine when the wind blows too hard.

They are not digging in the local dump for food scraps.

Many of our "poor" that you see on the streets are scam artists with a sign that says "Wuill work for food" or some such garbage.

That is total bullshit. We have plenty of poor that are looking for food scraps and sleeping on the street. I see them often enough

That is total bullshit. We have plenty of poor that are looking for food scraps and sleeping on the street. I see them often enough

Go ask a poor person in Haiti or Jamaica if they would rather be poor in their country or poor in America. You might want to get out of the way if you are standing between them and the boat to America.

How many boatloads of people have been interdicted by the Coast Guard trying to flee America for Cuba or Haiti?

Hard to tell how many people there would rather be destitute here. Also hard to tell how many of the poor in colder climates here would gladly jump on a boat to Jamaica or Haiti.

Kinda irrelevant but you go ahead and get a large scale survey going of the poor in various parts of the US, Haiti, and Jamaica if you want. :shrug:

Well then, I hope you have enough kindness to open your wallet.

Do you only see them on the street? Or have you ever been to their apartments? From personal experience, I can tell you that some poor are truly there by no fault of their own and some poor are poor because they blow all their money on stupid shit like buying their cigarettes a pack at a time instead of by the carton (or not smoking at all) or by oversubscribing to the internet, cable, etc. and not paying the bills, then when the utilities are shut off, they turn them on in the name of one of the kids, then get that shut off, so that kid's credit is ruined now and they turn it back on in another kid's name, etc. Ever see someone use their Golden State Advantage card to buy sodas and sandwiches from a take-and-bake pizza shop (that can accept it because take-and-bake pizza is not a ready-to-eat item and thus not taxable) instead of buying stuff like milk, bread, infant formula, etc.?

I can tell you that some poor are truly there by no fault of their own and some poor are poor because they blow all their money on stupid shit

I agree. Somehow people like to make vast unfounded generalizations like "all poor people are too lazy to work" or "our poor aren't digging for food scraps" though and it's ridiculous.

Perhaps you need to edify yourself by reading this:

SOURCE

Some highlights.

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various gov*ernment reports:

* Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

* Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

* Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

* The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

* Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

* Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

* Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

* Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

[more]

b2064_chart1-lg.gif

Back