Can the UN do as promised?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Will they disarm Hezbollah? Can they stop Israel from getting attacked? Do the Americans remember that, short of 9-11-01, Hezbollah has created more dead Americans than any other terrorist group? Will Roseanne lose weight?

Stay tuned.

UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council adopted a resolution Friday that calls for an end to the war between Israel and Hezbollah, and authorizes 15,000 U.N. peacekeepers to help Lebanese troops take control of south Lebanon as Israel withdraws.

The resolution offers the best chance yet for peace after more than four weeks of fighting that has killed more than 800 people, destroyed Lebanon's infrastructure, displaced hundreds of thousands of people and inflamed tensions across the Middle East. Drafted by France and the U.S., it was adopted unanimously.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert endorsed the resolution late Friday, after a day of brinksmanship including a threat to expand the ground war. Lebanon's Cabinet was to consider the draft on Saturday, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the Lebanese government assured her that it supported the text.

AP

Probably not. The UN won't really do much to prevent Hezbullah or Hamas from attacking ISrael. Won't stop Israel from attacking Lebanon. Short term effects at best

chcr said:
Bad analogy, Gonz. Roseanne has lost weight.

I should pay attention to trivial TV personality lives more then huh :D

Alright, how about this...Can Richard Hatch aviod sex in prison?

Gonz said:
I should pay attention to trivial TV personality lives more then huh :D

Alright, how about this...Can Richard Hatch aviod sex in prison?
Better, better...

Gonz said:
Another victim of the media & spike.

Erm. Israel has been bombing Lebanon. They have hit military bases. Why do you think there is the whole ceasefire bit going around?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...rael_ceasefire_060813/20060813?hub=TopStories

On Saturday Kofi Annan, the secretary general of the UN, said the prime ministers of Lebanon and Israel agreed fighting would stop on Monday at 8 a.m. local time(1 a.m. ET Monday).

"I am happy to announce that the two leaders have agreed that the cessation of hostilities and the end of the fighting will enter into force on 14 August," Annan said in a statement released Saturday.

Olmert had urged his cabinet to accept the resolution.

Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah has said his guerilla organization will follow the ceasefire's terms, but will keep fighting until Israeli troops pull out of southern Lebanon.

Hmmm... In other words, "We'll stop shooting but we're not going to stop shooting..."

How are they gonna re-arm if they keep shooting?

One death on the Israeli side & this piece of paper is null & void.

You know how beer drinkers in Georgia stock up on beer on Saturday because beer sales on Sunday are banned? I guess Hezbollah is doing the same thing, with a nice little 250-rocket attack on Israel before the cease-fire begins tomorrow.

Funny enough, I think it has a chance of working with 15,000 peacekeepers with orders to use necessary force.

Lebanon and Israel have agreed to the terms, it is NOT a one sided peice of paper, it will strengthen the Lebanese army to clean out hezbollah, and stop the rocket attacks.

I have actual hope with this one.

15,000 - when they show up (date/timetable?)

Lebanon & Israel agreed-Hexbollah has said NO. Several times, in fact.

I haven't read it...does it actually call for disarming the Hezbos & ending their grasp of the Lebanese gov't?

Gonz said:
15,000 - when they show up (date/timetable?)

Lebanon & Israel agreed-Hexbollah has said NO. Several times, in fact.

I haven't read it...does it actually call for disarming the Hezbos & ending their grasp of the Lebanese gov't?
yep

Inkara1 said:
You know how beer drinkers in Georgia stock up on beer on Saturday because beer sales on Sunday are banned? I guess Hezbollah is doing the same thing, with a nice little 250-rocket attack on Israel before the cease-fire begins tomorrow.

Tit for tat

The violence raged until the final minutes.

Israeli warplanes struck a Hezbollah stronghold in eastern Lebanon and a Palestinian refugee camp in the south, killing two people, and Israeli artillery pounded targets across the border through the night.

The airstrikes continued until 15 minutes before the truce went into force, destroying an antenna for Hezbollah's Al-Manar television southeast of Beirut.
:shrug:

It doesn't matter. The Hezbos have a PR win. Olmert is gonna fry for stopping.

Back