Can you believe it?

Sure, horrible decision. Does that mean they deserve to be demonized? In their confused little minds they probably thought they were creating the next Brittney Spears. They never thought "Gee, I hope someone comes along and kills my daughter".

tonksy said:
Sure, horrible decision. Does that mean they deserve to be demonized? In their confused little minds they probably thought they were creating the next Brittney Spears. They never thought "Gee, I hope someone comes along and kills my daughter".

Of course not. That would ruin the dream. And the bank roll.

The Mom was in beauty pageants herself. I think it's awful that the Mom wanted to re-live her youth through her daughter. I think it's awful that they felt it necessary to parade their daughter around like they did so that they could be showered in compliments and, yes, money.

I don't know how things were for the little darling when the lights were down and it was just her and her family. However, I do feel that the parents, as selfish as their actions were, loved their daughter. What they did was, in my opinion, wrong - but not so wrong as to have to endure the pain of losing their daughter to murder.

tonksy said:
They loved their daughter

That's a statement I'd not make. They treated her as property & as a piece of meat. Hardly loving parents in my book. I see them as self-serving egomaniacs who wished to live vicarioulsy through a little girl who's only real object was pleasing her parents.

The entire story sickens me & I still think it was the parents.

If Mom was raised to think that is appropriate behavior from a loving parent (as she was involved in such activity as a child) then it seems natural that she would emulate it. Dad was probably raised to believe that the wimmin handled the child rearing.
I am not saying what they did was right but I don't doubt that they loved her.

I have no more respect for the fools who put Jr in a (fill in atletic event here) uniform.

He plays piano. He has no interest in sports/ballet/beauty pageants. He's shown an interest in karate. We haven't followed thru on that yet.

I can understand that. Do you plan to? How old is the fruit of your loins anyway?
I think it's important to involve kids in activities they show an interest in, it builds skills and character and self confidence. However, the beauty pagent crap doesn't seem to build any redeemable skills or character attributes.
Malory will be taking ballet and tap while at Pre-K, which is very convenient.
Marlowe will be beginning scouts sometime this fall.

Gonz said:
He plays piano. He has no interest in sports/ballet/beauty pageants. He's shown an interest in karate. We haven't followed thru on that yet.

Karate's probably a good choice, given that he'll probably need the self defense techinque walking home from his piano lessons.

tonksy said:
I can understand that. Do you plan to? How old is the fruit of your loins anyway?
...builds skills and character and self confidence.

Probably
13 in Sept
Perhaps. Or in this day of self-fulfillment or bust, it teaches them to be complete absolute shits because it ain't how you play the game/winning is the only thing. I never met a jock that could see past his own mindnumbing deeds. That is not to say they are all that way. I lost interest in team sports at a very young age, for the reasons escribed above. Gimme moto-X or weaponry (I'd be a golf fanatic if I took it up so I won't).

My kid is exceptionally uncompetitive. I say I don't give a shit & mostly mean it. He says he doesn't care & he REALLY means it. :shrug:

I was around his age when I was spending a weekend with my aunt and uncle and as my parents were leaving, my uncle showed them the anarchist cookbook and was like "I'm definetly not going to let him read this or anything." and left it on the table for me.

And it was such a bad influence on me. I mean, my parents are out of town for three days, and I've already got the keg in position and a big ol' box of rollin' paper and a bag of green. I've invited hundreds of people over already, and there will be three days of drunken festivities.

I mean, I'm not sitting by myself at midnight on OTC, waiting for Inky to get back on MSN, while watching south park and drinking crystal light ice tea.

:lol: @ Altron.
Gonz, in HS I was a jock. Also graduated second in my class (admittedly not that big of a class but I was also a National Merit Scholar). I was an uber-competitive creep a lot of the time. The same competitve instincts that drove me in sports drove me in academics. I could always see past my own deeds though. I hate to lose but recognize that sometimes I'm going to. Most of the jocks I know are that way, but then many of them are/were friends. I think that among people in cliques you generally don't know well you are far more likely to remember the asses than the "normal" ones.

Oh, and the reason I don't play golf is because it's mind numbingly boring and anything that doesn't make you sweat can hardly be called a sport.

Karate should be good then, Gonz. Not a competitive team thing.
I'm excited about the scouts. Good clean educational fun.

Just wait until I start pressuring you guys to buy cookies :circle:

chcr said:
Gonz, in HS I was a jock. Also graduated second in my class (admittedly not that big of a class but I was also a National Merit Scholar).

Look how famously we get along :D

On the same vein, very few jocks were interested in scholastics. They were the ones that got the breaks (still do), the help and the girls (which, as a musician, wasn't a problem)

You're generalizing again, Gonz. In my experience most of the jocks are just as interested in scholastics as anyone else. It's just the 1% or so that try to skate by that you remember and that you hear about. Of course they (the 1%) get more concentrated as the level increases.

Of course I think you would have considered me a jock and an egghead in HS, but I was a musician too. Jock+musician-nerd=did okay with the girls. ;)

Back