carpet, or tile?

What's do you like on the bathroom flooring

• carpet

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • tile/linoleum

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

valkyrie

Tile only. Carpet would be gross in the bathroom.

We have either hard wood floors (livingroom) or tile (not linoleum) throughout the house. It's healthier because it doesn't harbor dust mites.

catocom

in the shower? lol

The kids use the sink every day, and night.
Cant do without the sink.
I jump on the kids now for using the kitchen sink just to wash there hands.
They come by that honest though because they see their dad do it periodically,
and it does no good to rag on him.

MrBishop

Just got rid of the last of the carpet in my house (stairs leading to basement). Less allergens and less chances of water being trapped by the carpet and leading to mold, mildew and damage to the wood below.

The only 'carpet' I allow near the bathroom is used to get out of the tub without getting the floor all wet....and that's got a rubber layer underneath to stop the water.

valkyrie

Do yourself a favour while you're remodeling the bathroom ... add a urinal. I don't understand why they're not more common in houses, but with every woman on the planet bitching about the seat being left up and boys inability to aim, it seems the natural thing.
Actually, the lid should be down. The lid keeps things from falling into the toilet. Both of you should be putting the lid down on the toilet as a preventative to toilet retrieval of unlucky objects. This way everyone in the house has to put something down after they "go." It's fair and equal. G actually presented that idea to me when I moved into his house and I loved the idea. It made perfect sense. Besides, who wants to walk into the bathroom to see the inside of a toilet? Even when it's clean it's nasty.

Mirlyn

Both bathrooms are laminate, and the kitchen/dining area is a kind of engineered wood laminate sort of thing.

Just finished moving nearly everything around to clean the carpets up and down. Now I'm putting serious thought into tearing it all up and putting hardwood everywhere. Can't be too hard to do.

Professur

Actually, the lid should be down. The lid keeps things from falling into the toilet. Both of you should be putting the lid down on the toilet as a preventative to toilet retrieval of unlucky objects. This way everyone in the house has to put something down after they "go." It's fair and equal. G actually presented that idea to me when I moved into his house and I loved the idea. It made perfect sense. Besides, who wants to walk into the bathroom to see the inside of a toilet? Even when it's clean it's nasty.

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Only a woman would think that's fair and equal. That's right up there with ... We couldn't decide which one of us should drive, so we both took the bus and left the car at home. In 40 years, I've yet to drop anything in the toilet that wasn't intended to go there. I've talked with people that have dropped tooth brushes and cell phones in, and I ask the same question to every one of them ... What were you doing with it that close to the crapper in the first place. I've yet to hear an answer from anyone that couldn't in the end be summed up as ..."I was stupid".

valkyrie

That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Only a woman would think that's fair and equal. That's right up there with ... We couldn't decide which one of us should drive, so we both took the bus and left the car at home. In 40 years, I've yet to drop anything in the toilet that wasn't intended to go there. I've talked with people that have dropped tooth brushes and cell phones in, and I ask the same question to every one of them ... What were you doing with it that close to the crapper in the first place. I've yet to hear an answer from anyone that couldn't in the end be summed up as ..."I was stupid".
It wasn't my idea, it was my husbands. And I agreed that it was equitable. Why should the man be held to putting the seat down when the woman doesn't have to put anything down? Besides, it DOES keep things nicer and prevents things from falling into the toilet. There have been many close calls for us and many things that would have gone into the toilet if the lid had been up.

We don't use the toilet at the same time so your analogy makes no sense. If you had said, "we couldn't decide who should drive so we took turns on the 8 hour trip," that would make more sense. But we don't both use the toilet at the same time... that would be gross.

Our sink and counter are next to the toilet. We also have a cabinet over the toilet. Reach up into the cabinet and knock something into the toilet, or knock over a toothbrush or the anti-perspirant into the toilet and... oops! It happens. We weren't being stupid. ;) Just clumsy.

catocom

Both bathrooms are laminate, and the kitchen/dining area is a kind of engineered wood laminate sort of thing.

Just finished moving nearly everything around to clean the carpets up and down. Now I'm putting serious thought into tearing it all up and putting hardwood everywhere. Can't be too hard to do.

yeah, I'll actually be putting in vinyl not really tile.
I'm on a tight budget.:p

Professur

To answer in detail

Your husband probably suggested this to head off the whole argument. A wise man is he. He decided early that it was better to surrender the fight and settle at the treaty table rather than risk loosing ... or worse ... risk winning the fight and having to deal with a wife that lost. I'll wager that sort of thinking has kept him from all sorts of cold dinners and sleeping with the dog.

The analogy makes perfect sense unless you assume both people were going to the same place.

While I'm sure you'd disagree, most of what people call clumsiness is not caused by a lack of manual dexterity, but a lack of attention and forethought. That is, it's not actually clumsiness at all, but carelessness. And carelessness is the kissing cousin to stupidity. As for the placement of your fixtures .... mine are nowhere near each other. The toilet is in a small alcove beside the tub, and the sink is on the opposite wall. Perhaps a remodel is in order. Send me the room measurements and I'll see what I can do. I should mention that my bathroom is large enough to house the laundry as well.

Professur

Cat, have you called about to recyclers in the area? They frequently (here) have end of job batches of tiles that go for about half what you'd buy it for retail. If you're willing to take the time to build a design, you can buy some half or quarter boxes from them and they're often top quality.

catocom

I might put actual tile eventually, and get everything lined up ahead of time.
This was kind of a quick emergency revamp job, because the flange...
(knowing now since I've pull out the toilet) ... started leaking, so I've gotta
get it fixed, and everybody is freaking out now because it's the main bathroom.

valkyrie

To answer in detail

Your husband probably suggested this to head off the whole argument. A wise man is he. He decided early that it was better to surrender the fight and settle at the treaty table rather than risk loosing ... or worse ... risk winning the fight and having to deal with a wife that lost. I'll wager that sort of thinking has kept him from all sorts of cold dinners and sleeping with the dog.

The analogy makes perfect sense unless you assume both people were going to the same place.

While I'm sure you'd disagree, most of what people call clumsiness is not caused by a lack of manual dexterity, but a lack of attention and forethought. That is, it's not actually clumsiness at all, but carelessness. And carelessness is the kissing cousin to stupidity. As for the placement of your fixtures .... mine are nowhere near each other. The toilet is in a small alcove beside the tub, and the sink is on the opposite wall. Perhaps a remodel is in order. Send me the room measurements and I'll see what I can do. I should mention that my bathroom is large enough to house the laundry as well.
G came up with that "lid on the toilet rule" long before we met.

Aside from the clumsiness vs stupidity argument, keeping the lid down prevents anyone from having to see the inside of the toilet when you walk into the bathroom.

Just curious, what do you think the lid is for?

Our only bathroom is rather small. We do not have room for a linen closet and keep all the towels in the bedroom. This is why all space in the bathroom must be utilized including the space over the toilet.

BeardofPants

We keep the toilet lid down for both hygiene and to keep the cats from bathing in it. When you flush, there's crap being microscopically plastered all over the bathroom, including your toothbrush. That's reason alone to drop the lid before you flush. Never mind the accidental drops and the politics of the toilet seat.

Oh, and I believe you on the carpet being narsty in the bathroom. *sick*

Professur

BOP, Mythbusters busted that myth definitively. There are no aerosol turds flying about your house via flushing. You deliver far more by farting than flushing.

Val ... for sitting on while you're drying between your toes, naturally.

BeardofPants

Thanks for the information. I looked it up, and all toothbrushes appear to have small amounts of bacteria on it, even the control.

Even so, the lid still needs to stay down to keep the cats out. Pixel had his first bath as a kitten after leaping, not once, but twice, into the bog.

Professur

Hey, if a cat wants to drown itself, who am I to interfere?

Yeah, they found bacteria everywhere ... even the kitchen. I've seen another study (Mythbusters is a great show, but I don't rely on them) that showed less bacteria in the bathroom than the kitchen. Everyone assumes the toilet is where the germs are and hits it with the strongest cleaners. The kitchen ... not so much. They don't want harsh chemicals in proximity to food.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I use the same orange scented disinfecting cleanser in my bathroom and kitchen.

My new house has ceramic tiles in the bathroom, I hate them because they're ugly. Eventually I want to pull them up and put nicer ceramic tiles down. I do have a bath mat in front of the shower, it gets washed weekly.

MrBishop

Now I'm putting serious thought into tearing it all up and putting hardwood everywhere. Can't be too hard to do.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Do everyone in your home a favor and hire someone to do it. If there's one thing that I learned from all the renovations that I've been doing is that just because something doesn't appear to be difficult doesn't make it easy. Let someone else have the headaches if you can afford it.

Professur

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Do everyone in your home a favor and hire someone competentto do it. If there's one thing that I learned from all the renovations that I've been doing is that just because something doesn't appear to be difficult doesn't make it easy. Let someone else have the headaches if you can afford it.

There are people out there installing and billing with less skills than you. They saw it done on TV and bought themselves a used pickup ... now they're a pro.