Cellphones & Driving

Do you use a cellphone while driving?

• Yes. I think I can drive as well as when I'm not talking on the phone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I know it's dangerous but I do it anyway.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No way Jose.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • None of your $#@% business.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Gonz said:
I log about 85,000 miles a year in my truck...not counting the 6-wheeler or my personal vehicles. Believe me, cell phones aren't the problem.
I hear ya there, Gonz. They don't need to be holding cell phones in their hand to be jackasses on the roads. Even with a little over a year of driving under my belt I figured that out pretty quickly.

Spot said:
oh i agree. around here, they hold a piece of glass under your nose. if you fog it up more than once, you can get a license.
:rofl4:

It's not that easy around my area. You need to have nerves of steel, because the driving testers at the license branch are absolutely anal. You blink, minus 5 points. You breathe wrong, minus 10 points. You talk, minus 50 points. You twitch because you're thinking about killing the tester at that point, minus 1000 points. :lol:

Gonz said:
I log about 85,000 miles a year in my truck...not counting the 6-wheeler or my personal vehicles. Believe me, cell phones aren't the problem.

assholes are assholes but ive noticed quite a few people do stupid shit while talk;ing on a cel phoene in teh car

I like cell Phones - but not in the car when you drive-to many ppl dont pay attention towhat their doing while their driving and dialing and talking....

I hate when my wife uses the cell phone in the car (she ould be the driver as I am licenses less)

as to complaining about bad drivers, i would be a horrible one, which is why I never even tried to get it.

Cell phones aren't the only problem. It is one more distraction for all those idiot drivers who don't pay attention in the first place. Best evidence shows that driving while talking on the cell phone is about equal to driving while intoxicated. Mine isn't even on while I'm driving. It's turned off, and in my briefcase. There's voicemail.

Nope - don't use the phone while driving - mostly because I can't hear it ring (I leave it in my bag), but also because I hate it when other people do it.

When I'm in the car with my friend & she gets a call on hers I play secretary :shrug:

chcr said:
Cell phones aren't the only problem.

Yep, that's certainly true. The amount of times I've seen people do stuff like put on make up, change clothes, eat breakfast.... Isn't it enough to just DRIVE???

I used to talk on my cell phone when driving sometimes. Know what made me stop? My soon-to-be-ex-wife running the bill up fo $1,000. No more cell phone after that.

Between smoking a cig, singing to the music and hurling verbal abuse to other drivers I don't have time to answer the phone. :) (I usually just bung the phone in the glove compartment..........if it's important they'll leave a message).

Don't like cell phones. Had one for six months (it was a 'gift' :rolleyes: ) and the only time I used it was when I was already near a phone and realized that I hadn't used up my monthly limits yet. I can see their usefulness for some people -- but frankly, NO ONE needs to be able to reach me 24/7... I have answering machines at home and at work that I check when I damn well feel like it. And if I'm out of town, there's no WAY I want to talk to anyone, anyhow. I'm trying to have fun, for crying out loud!

As for the idiots talking on them while they're driving, I'm not sure their driving skills are all that hot anyway. If they weren't on the phone they'd be eating, reading a newspaper, singing with their eyes closed. It may be some sort of inability to focus on the task at hand: driving.

Seems to me most people use them to make up for bad planning. You had to wait until you were in the supermarket to ask what to buy? don't you live in that house too? and please, the 20 people in line here at the post office are TRULY not interested in your weekend plans... :mad4:

i've had a cell for nearly two years, i used to use it a lot, and it's convenient when i remember to take it with me. i don't know whether i'll keep paying for service once my contract is up. i might just switch to one of those pre-paid plans.

as for driving and talking, i do sometimes, but i always end up doing both of them badly so why bother?

Inkara1 said:
I used to talk on my cell phone when driving sometimes. Know what made me stop? My soon-to-be-ex-wife running the bill up fo $1,000. No more cell phone after that.
I must've missed something... didn't you two just recently get married? :worm:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Don't like cell phones. Had one for six months (it was a 'gift' :rolleyes: ) and the only time I used it was when I was already near a phone and realized that I hadn't used up my monthly limits yet. I can see their usefulness for some people -- but frankly, NO ONE needs to be able to reach me 24/7... I have answering machines at home and at work that I check when I damn well feel like it. And if I'm out of town, there's no WAY I want to talk to anyone, anyhow. I'm trying to have fun, for crying out loud!

As for the idiots talking on them while they're driving, I'm not sure their driving skills are all that hot anyway. If they weren't on the phone they'd be eating, reading a newspaper, singing with their eyes closed. It may be some sort of inability to focus on the task at hand: driving.

Seems to me most people use them to make up for bad planning. You had to wait until you were in the supermarket to ask what to buy? don't you live in that house too? and please, the 20 people in line here at the post office are TRULY not interested in your weekend plans... :mad4:
Funny you should mention using it at the grocery store. Having the phone with me there has saved me well over 2 dozen extra trips. Even knowing what we need, sometimes I'll call dad (or mom, whichever I'm going for) and ask if there's anything else I should get besides what we need. Dad especially, because he doesn't write grocery lists

fury said:
I must've missed something... didn't you two just recently get married? :worm:

A year and a month ago. I haven't made too much mention of it at this board, but we're getting divorced.

If you're interested, you can follow the case by clicking this link, clicking "search by person name...," accepting the disclaimer and then typing my name in (Aaron Crutchfield).

Back