Check please

Professur

Falling concrete slab kills Montreal diner
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

Bookmark and Share

A woman's body lies under a tarp as a fireman surveys the scene where a slab of concrete fell from a downtown hotel killing a woman and injuring her husband in Montreal Thursday, July 16, 2009. The 33-year-old victim was dining with her fiance at the Mikasa Sushi Bar when a slab of concrete fell off a hotel on Peel Street, near the corner of De Maisonneuve Boulevard. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

MONTREAL - A woman dining at a downtown Montreal restaurant was struck and instantly killed by a piece of falling concrete Thursday evening.

The 33-year-old victim was dining with her husband at the Mikasa Sushi Bar when a slab of concrete fell off a hotel on Peel Street, near the corner of De Maisonneuve Boulevard.

The slab of decorative concrete came crashing through the atrium window of the restaurant, located in the ground floor of the Marriott Residence Inn, from about 17-storeys above.

The woman's death was pronounced at the scene.

Montreal police say the victim's husband, also 33, lost some fingers and was also treated for severe shock.

"He may have lost a few fingers but he's in hospital in a stable state," said Const. Olivier Lapointe.

Click here to find out more!

Lapointe said a section of Peel Street, which is in the heart of the city, was expected to remain closed for several hours as a precaution while the fire department inspected the building.

It's not clear what caused the slab, about one metre by one-and-a-half metres, to come off the side of the building, Lapointe said.

source

Christ, Bish ... how many times did we pass that place?

source

Christ, Bish ... how many times did we pass that place?

Daily for x years! I heard that they've close off Peel from DeMaissoneuve to Sherbrooke for a few days to secure the building and do checks.

What a horrible way to die or see your spouse killed.

Oh geez, you didn't leave me that ....

must resist

What a horrible way to die or see your spouse killed.

And to not be able to lift a finger to help her.

You bastard. You knew what was gonna happen

"montreal" and "proper maintenance" do not go together. i've never had to dry my hands on my pants so many times consecutively walking out of various bars/restaurants duer to no towels or non-working dryers. my $500/night hotel room had chips along the edges of some of the furniture. and jeez, don't even think about that giant netted-up freeway exchange on the western side of town where it looks like the various bridges are about to crumble. i remember my girlfriend remarking to a cab driver about road maintenance - complaining about the delay from it - but his answer was "it's about goddamned time!"

but if you ever get a chance to go to au pied du cochon... take it...

"montreal" and "proper maintenance" do not go together. i've never had to dry my hands on my pants so many times consecutively walking out of various bars/restaurants duer to no towels or non-working dryers. my $500/night hotel room had chips along the edges of some of the furniture. and jeez, don't even think about that giant netted-up freeway exchange on the western side of town where it looks like the various bridges are about to crumble. i remember my girlfriend remarking to a cab driver about road maintenance - complaining about the delay from it - but his answer was "it's about goddamned time!"

I used to live in an area where not 1 but 2 overpasses collapsed. And pied de cochon...foid gras poutine, no thanks.

When God calls ya home ... you're goin' whether ya like it or not.

Had a discussion on this with a customer today. I said "You hear of some farmer standing in the middle of six hundred acres of farmland in Kansas; and a plane flying at 50,000 feet flies over going to Seattle from Nova Scotia and a bolt falls off the plane and kills the guy. If he had been standing two feet in any direction from where he was standing he wouldn't have been harmed at all. The plane loses the bolt after flying 1,600 miles with another 1,000 to go; yet it loses the bolt at that place at that time and the aerodynamics, forward speed, and rate of fall places the bolt in the exact square foot where the farmer is standing."

When God calls ya home ... you're goin' whether ya like it or not.

By the way, the fact that this happened on Peel street is purely coincidental. I was nowhere near the place.

By the way, the fact that this happened on Peel street is purely coincidental. I was nowhere near the place.

o_rly.jpg

Better get started working on an alibi, Jim

The freeway is getting slagged..and about damn time too. An expensive and long process but it'll happen..hopefully, BEFORE it collapses on it's own. A lot of repairs, especially buildings and neighbourhoods, get slowed down because of the Heritage Foundation...who insists that every building over 50 years old is a part of our heritage and MUST be retained. Pain in the ass!

Don't get me started on the water pipes and sewers...now THAT's a project that needs work.

Hmmm... $500/night? The QueenE, the Vogue or the Ritz? Probably not the Vogue...too new.

Au pied du cochon - worked as a bussboy there for about a week. My boss realized that I wasn't cut out for it. Great little restaurant, but I prefer Gibby's for mid-high range restaurants, and Queue du Cheval for high-end.

suite at the W.

yeah i was tempted to hit that cheval place, but it seemed like i might actually have to look nice, and i really didn't feel like looking nice. and i was only in town for 3 days. next time.

suite at the W.

yeah i was tempted to hit that cheval place, but it seemed like i might actually have to look nice, and i really didn't feel like looking nice. and i was only in town for 3 days. next time.
Nice.

I'm assuming that you hit the lower-end restaurants like Schwartz's as well :)
No visit to Montreal is ever complete with it :)

no and i'm a complete asshole for not hitting schwarz's because i'm all about deli, having grown up with it, and there's no real deli where i live (WTF?). again, next time. this was just a fairly unplanned, happened to be nearby trip.

no and i'm a complete asshole for not hitting schwarz's because i'm all about deli, having grown up with it, and there's no real deli where i live (WTF?). again, next time. this was just a fairly unplanned, happened to be nearby trip.

no schwartz's?

you sir, are a moron!

I need smoked meat.

What's all this talk about Schwartzas, pussy, and poon tang? Ya got somethin' against Black gals?

Back