Check please

It's the "black" part Jim. Where'd that come from?

Not finding any "schwartz" or similar in yiddish. There was "may the Schwartz be with you" from Spaceballs however.

And don't refer to yourself as "us".

God, you're dense.

Reread the six posts before mine.

schwartz's

Think Yiddish.

pussy

Think pussy.

poutine

Think poon tang.

Please don't make us explain the jokes.
Poon tang is from 'Nam, no?

The funnier bit is trying to make sure that visitors to Quebec pronounce poutine correctly.

Poo-teen is close. You get the odd person pronouncing it poo-tain - which means 'whore'

Not finding any "schwartz" or similar in yiddish. There was "may the Schwartz be with you" from Spaceballs however.

Schwartz means black in yiddish

The funnier bit is trying to make sure that visitors to Quebec pronounce poutine correctly.

Poo-teen is close. You get the odd person pronouncing it poo-tain - which means 'whore'

poon-tang is sorta from nam. the french had a war there before the US and it is a local slang that was derived from the french poutain.

Really? I thought that might be the case but I'm finding no reference to that at all.

I'm jewish, I speak yiddish, it means black, there is your reference (meant as funny not snarky)

Look up black in German, Yiddish is a mixture of german russian hungarian etc.

Schwarz = black. Ya never listened to Jackie Mason?

"Us" means the people around here who have to explain everything to you like all of the above.

"Us" could also mean "Me, myself, and I". :moon:

It is a Black term from the Creole.

SOURCE

Posted by Brian from Shawnee on November 09, 2005

In Reply to: Shoplifting the pootie posted by bpd on November 09, 2005

: Shoplifting the pootie

"Pootie" is a vulgar slang term for either female genitalia or exual intercourse. According to the urbandictionary.com, the term became popular after the release of the 2001 movie "Pootie Tang". "Pootie Tang" itself seems to be a play on "poontang" which comes from New Orleans Creole "putain" for "prostitute" (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=poontang&searchmode=none)

There was a man's cologne named "Poon Tang" back in the sixties. I never smelled it. Probably smelled like fish.

Schwarz = black. Ya never listened to Jackie Mason?

Hell no.

"Us" means the people around here who have to explain everything to you like all of the above.

Actually the people around here spend a lot of time explaining everything to you. Having taken advantage of that it's surprising to see you bitch when some help with some obscure yiddish is needed. Thankfully paul stepped up.

You should only speak for "us" if You've developed a multiple personality disorder.

It is a Black term from the Creole.

SOURCE

There was a man's cologne named "Poon Tang" back in the sixties. I never smelled it. Probably smelled like fish.
Creole simply means a mishmosh of languages..much like pidgin or patois. If you're talking Haitian creole or quasi-Haitian (Like in Georgia and the bayou country).. that's French, Spanish, Portuguese and English.

The putaine part of the translation comes from the French slang for whore. I'm not horribly surprised that once the word was brought into the creole/patois that the pronounciation got changed.

American (as opposed to English) is a form of creole and also borrows from several languages liberally, in the same way that Quebequois (Beaujouale) is not true French, but borrows from English liberally as well, especially for more modern terminology. *But don't say that to a Québequois* ;)

Probably smelled like fish :rofl:

Back