Childhood memories

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
For the girls:
Didyour mother ever set your hair in rags? Better then a perm i tell ya. One time my mom wrapped it so tight, the next day when she took them out, OMG, even when i washed it the curls were still there.LOLOLOL

I had my hair done in rags a couple years ago. I used to have a bag of them hanging in my closet at my mom's place and every so often I'd get her to do it. I don't know what happened to them...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Chasin lightnin bugs (translation: fireflies) at dusk across the front yard.

Feeling accomplished and proud when you were finally old enough to gain the priviledge of working all day in the field doing the grown-up jobs, then that worn out satisfaction at the end of the day to know you had been part of it.

Spending hours picking grapes right off the vine, apples and plums and peaches right off the tree, and eating so many you made yourself sick.

Every summer Sunday, we used to go to my grandma's house after church and eat...OMG what a meal...then spread old quilts out in the shade and munch ice cold watermelon or homemade ice cream and just...talk...best feeling in the world.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Chasin lightnin bugs (translation: fireflies) at dusk across the front yard.

We used to catch them when we went camping and keep them in a jar with air holes for a couple hours and then let them go :)

P.S. I woulda known what you meant by lightening bugs.

catocom

lol, that reminds me of when I was a youngun, about 8, and caught a bunch,
and turn them loose in the bedroom, ..... one time.
I had to do the cleanup.

greenfreak

I still stare in wonder when I see lightning bugs. My brother used to mash them on his skin to make it glow. :(

I remember being fascinated by cicadas (we called them locusts) and I would collect them off the trees while they were still in their brown shells and watch them hatch. I was amazed at how fragile and soft they were and how fast the exposure to the outside air caused them to harden and their wings to change color.

Then I'd take their empty shells and hook them to my shirt and wait for my Mom to notice. And scream. :laugh:

I noticed something about my new neighborhood the other day. There were 10 kid's bikes lying on the ground in front of the supermarket with the kids nowhere to be found. No locks, no need. It reminded me of how we could leave our bikes wherever we wanted and it would still be there in morning.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Never got to do that... but for a long time, my cousin and I could share a seat belt.

- I remember not having to wear a seatbelt at all.
- I also remember being in the front seat standing up while the car was moving.

Other stuff I did:
- Drinking water straight from the tap.
- Buying fireworks outside elementary school.
- Going away in my bicycle too.
- Recording tapes from the radio!!! :lol:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
- I remember not having to wear a seatbelt at all.
- I also remember being in the front seat standing up while the car was moving.

Other stuff I did:
- Drinking water straight from the tap.
- Buying fireworks outside elementary school.
- Going away in my bicycle too.
- Recording tapes from the radio!!! :lol:

You can't drink water from the tap now? That's sad...I drink tap water all the time.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Or from the outside tap.

Our house that burned was on well water for the outside taps. That tasted so much better than the city water does. :crap: I used to go outside and get a glass of water from the hose to drink.

Growing up we were on well water. That tasted better too.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Or from the outside tap.

Our house that burned was on well water for the outside taps. That tasted so much better than the city water does. :crap: I used to go outside and get a glass of water from the hose to drink.

Growing up we were on well water. That tasted better too.

I love well water, we had it at our trailer when we camped and my grandparents in NFLD have it. I still drink from the outside tap if I'm outside and want a drink...it's always nice and cold :shrug:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Does anybody else remember Reggie Jackson's candy bar (called "Reggie", appropriately enough)? Man I inhaled them things. A Reggie and an ice cold RC and I was in heaven!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
A cup perhaps?

ooooh for some reason I was thinking you meant something connected to the water line, like a faucet (I'm kinda clueless today it seems)...and I was thoroughly confused. I still drink from the tap without a cup, I cup my hands and drink it like that.

greenfreak

Wow, RC cola. On the few times I was allowed to drink soda as a kid, it was usually RC.

Does anyone know what an egg cream is or is that strictly a NY thing? My Mom used to love them when she was a kid and used to make them for us too.

TexasRaceLady

I remember

--- my mom complaining when gasoline went UP to $.19 a gallon
--- my grandparents having one of the first room AC units in the city
--- one of the heaviest snows in Texas in 1949