Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No - It's immoral and/or unethical

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No - Man is bad and it would be abused

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No - It violates human rights in one way or another

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok, so you're saying if I start with a lifespan of 70, and I make a clone at 20, the clone will only have a lifespan of 50? So basically, however many clones I make, they will still not live past me, we should all die about the same time?

chcr, Not offhand. Its just something that I remember as familiar from the past as well.

Puter, Its not so cut and dried as that. Its almost harder on the clones in ways because the new body has to go through another bout of puberty and general growth... which can be triggered earlier because of the cells age. A second round of hormonal hell has an unknown, but presumed stressful, reaction to the cell structure. A candle that burns bright... in this case, bright twice ... burns faster. The basic body may still be of a basic enough health to survive a full tenured life ... but the predispositions and schizms become more entrenched and apparent on the clones... stuff like breast cancers. They are linked to hormonal triggers in some cases. A second bout of puberty on the same cellular print base would take an incidental 10% risk group and bump them up to like 15%... or even 20%.

Ok, so basically then, if they figure out how to control the rapid aging in clones, they will probably also figure out how to controlt the aging in the originals as well then. At least it seems to me it would be a similar process. I'm not sure I really want to live forever though.

PuterTutor said:
I'm not sure I really want to live forever though
I agree. Eventually you'd get bored, wouldn't you? I'd like to live a good long while though.

Well, of course, like the voices say, we'd have to kill off you lesser beings. :yell:

In theory, a clone should live as long as the donor from which his/her genetic information was taken. Our current methods and understanding are limited, but that isn't a physical limit, just a knowledge limit.

DNA could be taken from the donor and used to directly replace the DNA in a zygote (or whatever the earliest embryonic stage is called). When we figure out how to do this, we should be able to remove practically all "cloning induced" abnormalities.

I'd rather have a clone of me than a child...why do we allow bacteria to reproduce asexually and not humans??? If you ask me, it's just discrimination...

PuterTutor said:
Ok, so you're saying if I start with a lifespan of 70, and I make a clone at 20, the clone will only have a lifespan of 50? So basically, however many clones I make, they will still not live past me, we should all die about the same time?

If we have the human genome completely mapped and understood, we could fix up the cloned DNA so it would start over...
int ctr = 0;

octal said:
I'd rather have a clone of me than a child...why do we allow bacteria to reproduce asexually and not humans??? If you ask me, it's just discrimination...

screw that. sex better :p

Back