Coffee makes women smarter

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SnP & I actually get along. I don't harass him too much. Spike is on ignore now. Life is peaceful. Family, you really do need to read some more.

Altron

See, I don't like that emphasis on book smarts. I'm not book smart. I'm common sense smart enough to seem book smart, but I'm not.

I can usually skate by in History, just because of my memory. I have a very good, if sometimes erratic memory. I can read or hear something, and recall it perfectly a week later on the test.

English, similar idea. I do alright, but that's because I write a ton and read even more. My collective internet postings are probably longer than The Lord of the Rings. I write a lot, and I read a lot, and I try to imitate the stuff I read in my writing, which means that if I try, I can sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Math, I have a mixed time with. Predefined rules, formulae, and procedures absolutely kill me. I completely rely on understanding how things work. If something doesn't make sense to me, I can't do it. Some of the more arcane and abstract things go way over my head, unless they're explained in real life terms. I didn't understand Calculus whatsoever until it was applied to Physics. I do, however, usually manage to understand it, much to the chagrin of every math teacher I've ever dealt with. I can take a math problem, and mentally move around the numbers and make it work. I don't need to use equations or write stuff down or any of that crap if I understand it. It's incrediable to see how much quicker things can be done without useless paper work. The damn teachers want to see that paper work though. I can space out in class, never open my textbook, never do homework, and polish off a 45 minute test in 15 minutes with 95% accuracy, if it makes sense to me. If I don't understand why, I could work on it for three hours, and still not get a single correct answer.

Physics, my favorite class. Some of it can get pretty theoretical, but it's mostly a less abstract form of mathematics. I consider myself pretty damn good at it. It's a more real life, common sense class.

Fuck, I talk a lot.

BB

Morning Altron :) (and hello btw) ...yes, i'd rather noticed that - sadly i have little time to read so much online, or be online, as i am now as a timeout diversion from work.

Women? We-ell ...(avoids the subject) ...i am sure as hell hoping it'll make me smarter anyway - i need at least three or four Strong coffees this morning.

Tired.

so - Gonz and SnP (Scottish national Party over here btw - not that far off an association in many ways :grinyes: ) are having a love-in heh?

Peace in our time? ... Course' that one worked well didn't it ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron:

Common sense can NOT be taught in the way that stuff is taught in school, it needs to be learned through experience and interactions. With that said, problem solving skills are not "common sense" but again, they can't be taught, only refined and improved in schools. It's sad that your school doesn't place much effort into directly helping students develop problem solving skills, that is actually the strongest skill I took away from my degree, engineering is a lot of problem solving and it's a great skill to have in a refined form in real life.

Anyway, in terms of the math and not writing stuff down...seriously, don't get into that habit, it's a HARD habit to break. I've always thought in numbers and in highschool used to often skip steps when doing math and got away with it...then in Uni I learned the reason behind writing down all the steps, even when a problem is simple enough that you don't have to write them down for youself you need to write them down for others. If you're doing something and someone is later going to have to refer back to it they should beable to follow your work without asking you what you did from one line to the next...be it an engineer, a tradesman, a person in retail...if you don't write down exactly how you did things the person you're doing the calculations for is not gonna know what you did or how you did it...they're not mind readers.