Coincidence

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Take a couple & read the story with a Christmas touch.

2 in toll booths save Ohio tot by using CPR

Fast action gets 2-year-old breathing
By Rebecca S. Green
The Journal Gazette

Mr Rauen was scheduled to have the day off Monday. But it’s probably a good thing he likes to help out and came in anyway.

On Monday evening, Rauen and Miss Hemrick were working in their respective toll booths at the Angola Toll Plaza on the Indiana Toll Road when a family from Ohio pulled into Hemrick’s lane.

A 2 1/2 -year-old boy in the car was very sick, according to Indiana Department of Transportation officials.

Hemrick brought the boy into the booth with her and dialed 911.

Rauen responded to a call for help on radio control and rushed to Hemrick’s booth, according to a written statement.

As Hemrick, Rauen, and a helpful truck driver tried to make sure the boy was all right, he stopped breathing and began turning blue.

“He wasn’t getting any oxygen, and he was in and out (of consciousness),” Rauen said during a telephone interview as he handed out toll tickets to holiday travelers Thursday afternoon.

A former CPR instructor for the Air Force and the Red Cross, Rauen performed the life-saving technique on the boy until emergency crews got to the scene.

“I was kind of nervous,” he said. “It’s hard doing this on a child.”

Rauen’s efforts were successful. The boy was taken to an area hospital and later released, according to the INDOT statement.

INDOT requires that its employees learn CPR and basic first aid, said Stephen Buckley, director of tolls.

This month, at the West Point Toll Plaza, a truck driver choking on a piece of candy got a Heimlich maneuver from another quick-thinking toll plaza attendant, Buckley said.

“It’s handy if people around you know what to do in case of an emergency,” he said.

An INDOT employee since 1997, Rauen was not scheduled to work Monday but came in to help a short-handed staff.

“A few people had called off sick that day, and I called over to my supervisor and said I’d come in if they needed me,” he said.

“Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.”

Rauen said he enjoys working on the toll road, both his contact with the people who pass through his booth and his co-workers.

“I just enjoy my job,” he said. “We have a good bunch of people.”

But Monday’s experience “made” his holiday season, he said.

“I’ve always been brought up to help people,” he said, “and that’s just the way I feel.”

The complete names:
Joseph Rauen
Mary Hemrick

Yikes! At least it wasn't mine - that's a whole new level. Someone's kid managed to wedge some raw cauliflower from the veggie tray halfway down at my 30th birthday party. I, drunker than shit, managed to remember just enough to huck it out of there.

That was bad enough. Can't imagine the terror of doing it on V2.0.

HomeLAN said:
Reminds me, I need to get recertified.

I had to do the Heimlich on a kid once. Scary as hell.

I should as well. Never had to use any of the first aid I learned thankfully.

glad Marlowe came out all right

Better fricken stick to maneuvering on your own Kids!

If you try to help a strangers Kid and he\she dies your gonna be sued into a lifelong condition of poverty.
Let the lil' suckers choke!

Your Kids will thank you!

Winky said:

If you try to help a strangers Kid and he\she dies your gonna be sued into a lifelong condition of poverty.

But what about the Good Samaritan Laws?

thats kind of an odd thing. You can try to fight that kind of thing saying you had the right intention but they will look into the situation and what happened.

[font=arial,helvetica]Two Hillbillies from Kentucky walk into the local bar to wash the dust from their throats and grab a beer. They stand at the bar, drinking a beer and talking about current cattle prices. Suddenly, a woman at a nearby table, who is eating a sandwich begins to choke. It becomes apparent that she is in real distress.
One of the Hillbillies looks at her and says, "Kin ya swalla?"
The woman shakes her head no.
"Kin ya breathe?"
The woman begins to turn blue and shakes her head no.
The Hillbilly walks over to the woman, lifts up the back of her dress, yanks down her panties, and runs his tongue all over her butt cheeks in a circular motion. The woman is so shocked that she has a violent spasm and the obstruction flies out of her mouth.
As she begins to breathe again, the Hillbilly walks slowly back to the bar and takes a drink from his beer.
His partner says, "Ya know, I'd heard of that there "Hind Lick" maneuver, but I ain't never seen nobody do it."
[/font]

PT said:
[font=arial,helvetica]Two Hillbillies from Kentucky walk into the local bar to wash the dust from their throats and grab a beer. They stand at the bar, drinking a beer and talking about current cattle prices. Suddenly, a woman at a nearby table, who is eating a sandwich begins to choke. It becomes apparent that she is in real distress.
One of the Hillbillies looks at her and says, "Kin ya swalla?"
The woman shakes her head no.
"Kin ya breathe?"
The woman begins to turn blue and shakes her head no.
The Hillbilly walks over to the woman, lifts up the back of her dress, yanks down her panties, and runs his tongue all over her butt cheeks in a circular motion. The woman is so shocked that she has a violent spasm and the obstruction flies out of her mouth.
As she begins to breathe again, the Hillbilly walks slowly back to the bar and takes a drink from his beer.
His partner says, "Ya know, I'd heard of that there "Hind Lick" maneuver, but I ain't never seen nobody do it."
[/font]
ba-dum-cha.gif

Winky said:

Ya know, I consider myself to be fairly worldly and experienced, but I hope to God I never become quite that fucking cynical.

*walks away, shaking his head*

Take it from someone who was an active EMT and Paramedic for 8 years. Good Samaritan laws don't mean much these days. Start by asking them if they want you to help them. Sounds absurd but we were required to do that before asking a concious patient if they wanted the Heimlick. In children's cases, ask the parent. If they are unconcious, it's called implied consent. Laws differ from state to state and between EMS personnel and civilians. But if you ask, get consent, and have a witness, it's a good start.

I used to teach CPR to children. One of girls we taught saved her mother's life by giving her the Heimlick maneuver. It shouldn't just be parents learning, get your kids certified too. They could save YOUR life one day.

And yes, CPR for strangers is much easier than doing it on people you know (or love!) Unfortunately, I've had to do it to loved ones also.

So THERE HL
a Paramedic with eight years experience
has trepidations regarding the matter.

Hell besides one of the reasons I am never
going to worry about getting aids is that I
don't swap body fluids with no one but the
Wife :brush:

Yeah you go on and help people at the car accident scene
that are bloody and sh*t. I'll dial 911 and direct traffic.

*shakes head and wanders off muttering*
" freakin' wannbee heros' "

People who are too stupid to eat
without choking themselves to death
deserve to DIE!!! LMAO!!!!

Jeebus everyone here who has choked
to death while eating raise their hand!

“Johnny don’t eat so fast you’ll choke to death”

Winky said:
So THERE HL
a Paramedic with eight years experience
has trepidations regarding the matter.

Hell besides one of the reasons I am never
going to worry about getting aids is that I
don't swap body fluids with no one but the
Wife :brush:

Yeah you go on and help people at the car accident scene
that are bloody and sh*t. I'll dial 911 and direct traffic.

*shakes head and wanders off muttering*
" freakin' wannbee heros' "

Ya know, if I worked doing this stuff, it'd be a separate set of rules. Professional liabilities tend to be a little otherworldly.

If however, I ever get to your stage and would be willing to watch a kid choke to death simply because I'm afraid of a lawsuit, just shoot me, because I've already given up a large chunk of my humanity.

As for wannabe's - you have zero idea what I might wannabe. I don't usually call people assholes, but you qualify. In spades.

HomeLAN said:
Ya know, if I worked doing this stuff, it'd be a separate set of rules. Professional liabilities tend to be a little otherworldly.

If however, I ever get to your stage and would be willing to watch a kid choke to death simply because I'm afraid of a lawsuit, just shoot me, because I've already given up a large chunk of my humanity.

As for wannabe's - you have zero idea what I might wannabe. I don't usually call people assholes, but you qualify. In spades.
Well said, I'm behind you Homey.

Back