common fricken' sense

kuulani

I just read in the local paper that the court awarded a man from NYC upwards of $2 mill because his wife died while they were visiting a local state park, and the two idiots tried crossing a overflowing river on foot, which swept them out to sea. The judge awarded the man the $$ because the park couldn't prove that the warning signs that were posted EVERYWHERE were put up before the accident.

Okay now. Is it just me, or is the world just getting silly? Even if there weren't any signs posted, common sense should tell you not to cross a overflowing river, especially if you are unfamiliar with the terrain.

The man says that now he feels good because his lawsuit brought to light the dangers of crossing overflowing rivers. Bullshit. He feels good 'cause he has $2 million.

Hey ... wasn't the park closed too? Just like Sacred Falls .. when the tourists climbed over the fence *thinking* it was safe? Only to have some of them die in the landslide? Then they sued and WON because closing the park wasn't enough?

And then people wonder why locals aren't more friendly to tourists :rollseyes:

Tort reform is still questionable but I'd be all for smacking really stupid litigants upside the head routinely. Common sense is no longer common.

Once again, common sense is a myth. There is no such thing. If it were common, wouldn't there be more of it????? :p

these kind of things really just happen in the US...gotta love what they do with the tax payer money, eh?

i guess that "remove all warning signs, and stupidity will solve itself" really applies to certain people...

Shadowfax said:
these kind of things really just happen in the US...gotta love what they do with the tax payer money, eh?

i guess that "remove all warning signs, and stupidity will solve itself" really applies to certain people...

People are so money hungry they'll do anything to get some. It's getting more and more stupid. Just like years ago with the McDonald's law suit. What do you think, the coffee you purchased is going to be cold. Of course it's hot cofee and all the cups say "caution, contents hot".

Uki Chick said:
People are so money hungry they'll do anything to get some. It's getting more and more stupid. Just like years ago with the McDonald's law suit. What do you think, the coffee you purchased is going to be cold. Of course it's hot cofee and all the cups say "caution, contents hot".
and the same damn people would have been the first to complain loudly and bitterly if their coffee was not hot. people are shitty.

tonksy said:
and the same damn people would have been the first to complain loudly and bitterly if their coffee was not hot. people are shitty.

I totally agree with you there! It is getting pretty stupid. It's also easy in the US to file law suits. To this day I wish I could have sued the bastard that hit me with his car when I was crossing a street. Unfortunately, we have "no fault insurance". Can't do shit!!!

Uki Chick said:
I totally agree with you there! It is getting pretty stupid. It's also easy in the US to file law suits. To this day I wish I could have sued the bastard that hit me with his car when I was crossing a street. Unfortunately, we have "no fault insurance". Can't do shit!!!
but here is the moral issue that many americans sweep under the rug. just because something is easy doesn't make it right.

Shadowfax said:

Actually, they're only highly publicized in the US. I'm sure stupid people are rewarded elsewhere, too. If they weren't, then how come there are so many of them?

Rose said:
why was the settlement so insanely high?

they gave a reason, but i can't think of it right now. something to the effect that the judge was thinking about the pain of the deceased, and her loss of hope as she was being swept away, added to the pain of the survivor of losing his wife, and so on ...

not to diminish the fact that someone died, but i still think they were DUMB for attempting to cross a river they were unfamiliar with.

In his ruling, Rafeedie awarded the estate of Xina Wendt $500,000, including money to cover her distress before the drowning. "I can imagine nothing more horrendous than the fear and loss of hope that she must have experienced during that ordeal," he said.

He also awarded $800,000 for her loss of income and $1 million for Tim Wendt's loss of his wife and watching her struggle for her life and being swept away to her death.

honolulu advertiser

i don;t get it...dude gets a buncha money cuz his wife suffered from an accident caused by his or her stupidity? how does that work? how can i cash in on the stupidity of other people? :tardbang:

tonksy said:
i don;t get it...dude gets a buncha money cuz his wife suffered from an accident caused by his or her stupidity? how does that work? how can i cash in on the stupidity of other people? :tardbang:

Just hang out at a 'redneck' picnic, and listen for the phrase

"Hey, y'all, watch this..." :grinyes:

Back