Corsetry Question

Which one?

• Frederick's

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Authentic

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

FluerVanderloo

I visited my aunt, the seamstress, if she could make my reenactment costume for Gettysburg this year. I have already a hoopskirt, and my mom agreed that instead of creating a corset, we could buy one.

She likes this one she found at Frederick's

But for only one dollar more, I can get an authentic

So, what do you guys think? Please disreguard the fact that one of them contains a picture of a lovely lady :) I know it's hard for me to get a good idea of which to choose because one's an illustration.

Me mom said which ever one I choose....so I leave it up to you :)

FluerVanderloo

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Go with authentic -- it's a reenactment isn't it? Doesn't that mean suffering the same discomfort? ;)

Indeed it does. The authentic one is only lightly boned though, and is more flexible. The Frederick's one has bones all around.

And again, I have changed my choices. I'm sticking with that Frederick's one and bringing in another Frederick's one:
Other one

This is more comfortable, and gives a little boost ;)

Ms Ann Thrope

so, if I understand you correctly, the authenticity isn't as important to you as the amount of boning? is that because of how it will finish your silhouette? lightly boned won't provide the same degree of contouring that you're looking for? in that case, prolly the Frederick's would make more sense....

FluerVanderloo

Ms Ann Thrope said:
so, if I understand you correctly, the authenticity isn't as important to you as the amount of boning? is that because of how it will finish your silhouette? lightly boned won't provide the same degree of contouring that you're looking for? in that case, prolly the Frederick's would make more sense....

Yeah, I'm more concerned with the boning. I figured that these things are underpinnings, and won't be seen. When I get enough money for a really good authentic one, then I'll buy it. But for now I'll be happy with something that gives me the shape of an authentic one.

Ms Ann Thrope

when is the event taking place? sounds like fun... always thought it would be an interesting thing to see... will you post some pix?

FluerVanderloo

Ms Ann Thrope said:
when is the event taking place? sounds like fun... always thought it would be an interesting thing to see... will you post some pix?

Gettysburg is July 2,3, and 4th, and I may go to Antietam in September. Cold Harbor is another 'if'. I will definately take pics, it will be my first reenactment in costume :)

Oh, and I'll keep an eye out for any good looking Rebs ;)

Ms Ann Thrope

well be careful with the corset... don't do anything stupid like tight-lacing... corsets can crack ribs besides interfering with your breathing.... most of all: HAVE FUN! :swing:

FluerVanderloo

Ms Ann Thrope said:
well be careful with the corset... don't do anything stupid like tight-lacing... corsets can crack ribs besides interfering with your breathing.... most of all: HAVE FUN! :swing:

hehe, I've had bruised ribs before with my Renn Fest costume. I looked awesome, but the after effects weren't pretty. Besides two bruised ribs on the right side, my entire abdomen was chafed.

FluerVanderloo

Ms Ann Thrope said:
*handonhip

so that means you'll be more careful this time, right? :hmm:

Sure enough. I tied it tight enough for walking when the entire time I was sitting. I blame it on that.

And I just ordered the Frederick's one :)

tonksy

good call on the frederick's one...i bet it's washable wherre the authentic is probably not...also, i bet the boning on the fredericks is acrylic therefore more comfortable. post piccy's of the whole getup when you wear it!

PrincessLissa

The authentic will be more comfertrable and fit you better. Just because it is an authentic you don't need to lace it tight enough to cut off your air supply. THe fredicks one will not be made as well and you may end up loosing your eyelets and the boning may even end up twisting around you. Also, before you need to wear your corset, I would do some mini-training. Wear it for about two hours laced up comfertably, not too tightly. THen the next day wear it a little tighter for a little longer. Practicing like this and finding where you find the corset cmofertable yet flattering will help you wear it in more comfort foir the duration of the reenactment.

This may be the reason you had bruised ribs from the Ren Fair costume.

Ah I see you ordered the fredricks. Be careful with is as I have seen many of those break and stuff before. The corselets are even worse.

Oz

Man, it's a shame that corsets are so uncomfortable....they look sexy as hell and should be worn more often imo :)

As for the case with yer choice Fleur.....i really dunno...just got with the rule that a good corset should make the most of what yer should have.....and make as little as possible of what yer have but shouldnt' ;)

SexyBoo

I love corsets - they are so sexy! I have a great lace up one from Fredericks that I wish I had a good reason to wear.... :disgust:

I agree with tonksy on going with Fredericks "the other one" - it does look washable and probably more comfortable... We don't want to hear about any more bruised ribs, etc....