Creationist Museum shows dinosaurs playing with human children

MrBishop

Staff and supporters of the Answers in Genesis organisation call it the Creation Museum.

But secular scientists would take issue with the use of either word to describe the almost completed building that stands just a few miles west of Cincinnati, on the borders of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Wherever you stand on the debate, it is impossible not to be impressed by the effort that has gone into constructing the $27m (£13.5m) museum, which hopes to attract hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

"We have a planetarium to our left, and a virtually-finished bookstore.

"The museum is right under that archway there," said Mark Looy, vice president for ministry relations, standing in the foyer next to an animatronics dinosaur that is munching on a synthetic plant.

Playful dinosaurs
The museum's aim is to bring Genesis - the first book of the Bible - to life for all ages, and promote the belief that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

Creationists believe humans and dinosaurs existed at the same time

Everybody who works at the museum has to sign on to the belief that the living Earth was created in six 24-hour days - rejecting the convention most scientists view as fact, that life evolved slowly over millions of years.

To hammer that point home, two smiling children clad in tasteful animal skins, work and play alongside a pair of baby Tyrannosaurus Rex.

"You go to some of the major museums and dinosaurs are their teaching icon," said Mr Looy.

"We're going to turn that on its head, and use dinosaurs to show that the Bible presents the true history of the world. We have people, and dinosaurs, together."

Link

Two smiling children playing with a pair of young t-rexes? You have GOT to be kidding me! If you're going to try and rewrite history..at least have the t-rexes eating the two smiling children. That'd be the most probable setting IF humans and Dinosaurs co-existed. :rolleyes:

$27M - great use of tax dollars, right there!:eek3:

'Fraid I don't see where it says any tax payer's dollars were spent. In fact, you neglected to include the part where it says
Although professional construction workers are still on site, the cost of the project would probably be in the region of $100m (£50m), if the voluntary effort had been accounted for, he added.

That would be about $73M in volunteer time.

Where do you think the other 23$M came from?

In either case... dinosaurs playing with kids?
3 pages of text going against millions of books, articles, studies, testing and artifacts coming from every science including geology, physics, chemistry, biology, anthropology, archaeology etc... :rolleyes:

Read it again. The $73M was volunteer work. The $27M (if you're gonna do this, at least get the amounts right) isn't specified .... at all. But given that
Staff and supporters of the Answers in Genesis organisation call it the Creation Museum.

I'd have to say that perhaps the Answers in Genesis organisation provided it.

Although if you were really all that bothered by it, I'd wager you could find out by looking for the story in a source less than 5000 miles from the story itself. In fact, you could (if you really cared more than just saw a cheap shot to take) look right on their own web site : http://www.answersingenesis.org/

Oh, gee, look at that :http://www.answersingenesis.org/museum/donate.asp

Answers in Genesis-US is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code in the United States of America.

Moneys donated to them get a tax-rebate form, as does the work donated to them. $73M in non-taxable funds.

Money NOT going to the IRS.
We can argue how religions tax-havens work all day... now how about the premise for the museum?

Answers in Genesis-US is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code in the United States of America.

Moneys donated to them get a tax-rebate form, as does the work donated to them. $73M in non-taxable funds.

Money NOT going to the IRS.
We can argue how religions tax-havens work all day... now how about the premise for the museum?

Translation: my first stab backfired in my face, so let's completely ignore the foot in my mouth.

The premise is irrelevant. 40% of americans (again according to your source) believe it. And I really don't think they give a damn that you don't. It's their money to spend as they see fit. Frankly, I'm still waiting on proof that carbon-14 dating actually works. That 'dark matter' exists. And any host of other things put forth by the scientific community that are accepted as fact, but are still totally unproven. And given that there's scientists walking through there believing it, who've got a helluva lot better understanding of the arguments involved that you or I .... I'll leave them to it .... without judging them.

There's a big difference between a tax exemption on $23 million and $23 million in tax dollars being given to something. If you assume, for shits and giggles, that the organization would be taxed at 35 percent, Then that would be $8,050,000 in tax dollars exempted. Big difference between $8 million and $23 million.

There's a big difference between a tax exemption on $23 million and $23 million in tax dollars being given to something. If you assume, for shits and giggles, that the organization would be taxed at 35 percent, Then that would be $8,050,000 in tax dollars exempted. Big difference between $8 million and $23 million.

There's a big difference between knowing what you're talking about and talking out your ass, but he doesn't seem to have caught on to that one either.

OK...$100M @ 35% = $35M - your point is?

I think the tax exemption for religious organization has long outlived it's purpose. Re the subject at hand, those pesky creationists... :grinno:

$73M, no matter which calculator you use, in labour alone..does not build a museum. $73M in materials, equipment, transport and labour does tho'.

Here, Prof...have fun

Discuss tax-status to your heart's content.

Now.. how do people feel about a Museum based on creationism?

Cover your ass all you want, you're the one who brought up the money in the first place.

Frankly, I find it no more or less ludicrous than any other museum or institution. Did you know that in the last 20 years, fully half of what was "known" about dinosaurs has been debunked? The best examples of T-rex skeletons had to be dismantled because they were completely wrong (they think) about it's posture. Every science museum had to recently order new solar system mobiles because there were either too many or not enough planets on theirs.

And on another tack, there are thousands of museums and schools based on Creationism already. Every Christian church, chapel and basilica. Every catholic school.

Y'know what? The Jehovah's Witness building on the 132, go to it, and tell them all what a waste of time and money building that temple was. I'll wait. Go ahead.

:rolleyes:

What I'm sidestepping, sunshine..is your attempt to derail the article and take it in a direction you want it to go. Good riddance.

You guys are funny :grinyes:

I didn't realize there was a controversy over carbon dating. What is the controversy exactly?

Back