Critics slam Tory decision to close most Status of Women offices

This has SFA to do with pregnancy.
It's equal work for equal pay, single moms and creating child-care spaces so single parents can go to work instead of being on welfare and families that NEED two incomes to be able to have them.

Ummm...that 71 cents on the dollar has been disproven many times. If a woman and a man start out the same, and work the same hours over the same length of time...with no breaks for things like pregnancy and 'family'...then the pay is exactly the same. Also...why is it the governments job to create child care spaces for those who want to work? Isn't it the parents job to create those spaces, or find those spaces for their children? Better yet, as prof so untactfully, be a stay at home parent.

One more thing...AFAIK, there is only one recorded virgin birth, and that is widely disputed. There is no such thing as a single parent. Stop screwing anything with a heartbeat, and take responsibility for your actions, and this is a non-issue. I know divorce happens. Happened to me. I make sure my kids have something to live on, and ensure that I can be there for them when they need me. I don't want to hear how your life is different, or your choices were different. Your choices ended when that child was born. You are no longer important, so get over yourself and take care of your child(ren)...

Quick question, Gato. Do you send over enough child support and alimony to pay for everything from rent, food, clothes etc for your ex or does she have to work?

So...you get the catch-22. After a break up/divorce... BOTH parents will need to work to make ends meet, especially in shared custody cases...so until they're of school age (and beyond)..what happens to the kids? Home alone?

Does one or both parents quit their jobs and go on welfare so they can stay at home with the kid(s)?

Going to work to pay for your kids is taking responsibility regardless of who does it!

Quick question, Gato. Do you send over enough child support and alimony to pay for everything from rent, food, clothes etc for your ex or does she have to work?

My ex has to work. Mind you, she didn't until she decided she needed a new car, as my support paid for the entire house mortgage and at least 3 bills, but thats beside the point, innit?

Bish said:
So...you get the catch-22. After a break up/divorce... BOTH parents will need to work to make ends meet, especially in shared custody cases...so until they're of school age (and beyond)..what happens to the kids? Home alone?

Does one or both parents quit their jobs and go on welfare so they can stay at home with the kid(s)?

Going to work to pay for your kids is taking responsibility regardless of who does it!

Never said it wasn't. The most responsible thing is, however, not to have children until both parties are mature. Note...this has nothing to do with age.

Back on point...
If they have kids, then the only reasons for divorce should be abuse or adultery. My ex chose the latter, so we're divorced. As for the rest of your statement, I can dismiss it out of hand due to one thing you overlooked. Not all jobs are 9 to 5.

As for the rest of your statement, I can dismiss it out of hand due to one thing you overlooked. Not all jobs are 9 to 5.

...and that makes a difference somehow? Regardless of when the job is, there still needs to be a way to take care of the kids until they're old enough to take care of themselves. Either that's school (if you're lucky enough to get a job flexible enough that you work only during school hours (minus 1 hour both ways for travel) or you have to find some sort of child-care for off-hour jobs. There's always work-from-home...but I'd hazard to say that those are few and far between. You're still stuck having to have someone watch the kids when you can't.

Work sucks...and there aren't that many people (if given the chance) who wouldn't give it up in a heartbeat for a chance to stay at home with the munchkins. Raising kids is a tough job too (don't get me wrong)..but nothing compared to working a shit job AND then trying to raise your kids once you get home.

The most responsible thing is, however, not to have children until both parties are mature. Note...this has nothing to do with age.

Maturity or not..shit happens. Death, divorce and layoffs...hell, I've done 2 out of 3. The latter twice (one for each kid). We were lucky to have UI until I found something, but bills racked up and now we're paying them off. C'est la vie...once those are gone, we'll re-evaluate whether we want to stick with the 2-job household or something else.

...and that makes a difference somehow?

You're damned skippy it does. Two parents...divorced or not. 2 seperate shifts, divorced or not.

Bish said:
Regardless of when the job is, there still needs to be a way to take care of the kids until they're old enough to take care of themselves. Either that's school (if you're lucky enough to get a job flexible enough that you work only during school hours (minus 1 hour both ways for travel) or you have to find some sort of child-care for off-hour jobs. There's always work-from-home...but I'd hazard to say that those are few and far between. You're still stuck having to have someone watch the kids when you can't.

Work sucks...and there aren't that many people (if given the chance) who wouldn't give it up in a heartbeat for a chance to stay at home with the munchkins. Raising kids is a tough job too (don't get me wrong)..but nothing compared to working a shit job AND then trying to raise your kids once you get home.

If its such a bother, then don't have kids. That, too, would be the responsible thing to do...

Bish said:
Maturity or not..shit happens. Death, divorce and layoffs...hell, I've done 2 out of 3. The latter twice (one for each kid). We were lucky to have UI until I found something, but bills racked up and now we're paying them off. C'est la vie...once those are gone, we'll re-evaluate whether we want to stick with the 2-job household or something else.

We all know shit happens. Responsible people have plans for that. Life insurance, savings, etc. As for divorce, you already have my answer on that.

18 is legal in most countries.

I was thinking more along the lines of 12 or so... when the kid can usually be trusted enough to come home, maybe do some homework, watch some TV ect... without setting fire to nuthin' before the parent(s) can come home and start supper or something. :shrug:

Moderate amount of personal responsibility given to the child.

That has been shown to be when kids get in the most trouble. Routinely being adult free. Latch-key is bad.

Want kids? Parent them.

Back