Custom Built Communities

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
The question from my evangelical house assessor thread.

So this guy is building a city, or community with certain standards....

is it right or wrong?

I see no problem with it, they know where they are moving, they have sign a form I am sure, just like when you buy a condo, or move to a gated community. If you don't like it, don't move their, now if it was an existing community I would be against it.

Inkara1 said:
The problems I see come when the kids of the community turn 18 and start to bitch.

uhmmm, no matter where they are living they will do that, it is natural....well they will either bitch, or drive to next town for condoms

It should be purely conditional on whether it is a city...laws, council, mayor, etc or just a commune of like minded individuals. If it's a government entity, it may be illegal.

I'd actually not mind seeing a city run this way...just for research purposes. Obviously it would have to be a completely new place & the rules would have to be spelled out, in advance & very publically. Too many cry-babies though.

And, for the record, chcr, I'd be alright with them not allowing (fill in minority(ies) here)...I'd also be alright with a keep whitey out city...using the same rules. I prefer a conglomeration of folks but if somebody else doesn't....wtf?

If the chilluns have been conditioned from a young age about right and wrong they will follow the rules, and the ones that don't and the girl gets nocked up they have no option but to get married that will be seen as an example. When I was 16, I would get it whether I had a rubber or not and the question is if the boy would take the time to put it on, not if they are available...

The issue is a community can't define, therefore solve, a problem it doesn't see coming. It can only react to a problem once it is defined as such. This ALWAYS results in screwing the system up. Someone will become unhappy, the outside will prove too tempting, or a unpredicable event will take place which will cause change.

So go ahead and do that..

Don't forget to drink the cool-aid at the end, because the mothership is on its way.

Like Gonz says, if it's a commune or equivalent (I'm sure they'd love being called a commune), that's one thing. If it's a city, it's illegal in the US to discriminate against someone based on their faith. It's also wrong, but neither of those stop it from happening. The simple fact is that it will never fly. No two people believe exactly the same thing about religion. Catholics are no exception to this. It'll go up in metaphorical flames in less than a year.

Don't forget to drink the cool-aid at the end, because the mothership is on its way.
:nailonhead:

Kool Aid and the mothership? Intentional Jim Jones and the Heavens Gate compound crossover?

Such communities form wether you like it or not as like minds congregate. Writing something out as a community covenant seems like a waste of time. If you don't like how things are or how they are going, you will most likely leave of your own accord anyway. Let the Mormons have their 'x'... and the Menonites have their 'x'... and the hippies make their mudhut communals. Its no skin off of my back.

How are they supposed to check?

Huh? ... erm... yeah... I'm a Christian... gimmie my ticket... oh, and praise the lord and all that yadda yadda.

Betcha'd have to carry a card. You know, kinda like the jews did in pre-WWII Germany?

The trouble with making an entire city or county a given thing is almost impossible. You can only modify the behavior within the bounds of private property. A city with all of its expected institutions...like police, and transport... are outright required by a bazillion state and federal mandadtes to be non discriminatory ...or at least pretend to ...or at least not laugh so loud when they whip out affirmative action as being fair.

chcr said:
Betcha'd have to carry a card. You know, kinda like the jews did in pre-WWII Germany?
Then there would be a booming geurilla market for fake passes... just like drugs.

It would probably be better to just brand a cross on their foreheads or something... which would lead to fake forehead brands.

Professur said:
So you'd have no problem with christian only city buses too?

Now you've crossed into existing terrirtory. If the busses, runnning exclusively in Cathotown, have that rule :shrug:

Seperate never seems to mean equal. That's my main thing against segregation, even self-segregation.

Either they'll want to be seperate from other communities but consider themselves superior - in which case, they'll get all egotistical or others will think that they consider themselves superior, in which case you'll get a backlash and people outisde the compound with start the bitching and moaning.

what to do withthe children is tell them there are monsters outside of the gates, so they can't leave, even maybe dress up as monsters and make the children hide when they come and.....

*goes rents the village again*

Back