DirecTV and TiVO rock.

HomeLAN

So, after 4 years, my DirecTV Tivo unit downstairs finally took a shit. DirecTV replaced it, free. The replacement has a blown card reader, so they sent me another. A 70 hour unit instead of 40. Next day air.

I think it's safe to say, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Of course its free. You're now subject to pop-ups from TIVO. This smartassed remark brought to you by Phillips.

You mean customer service and loyalty rewards actually exist in the corporate world? I'm going to have to down a bottle of vodka to let that one settle in.

unclehobart said:
You mean customer service and loyalty rewards actually exist in the corporate world? I'm going to have to down a bottle of vodka to let that one settle in.

Hey, this leaves me with a (slightly questionable) 40 gig HD, just when you need a new one....

Wouldn't do it anyway. It's a slight possibilty that a failing HD did this.

Slight enough that I pulled the drive anyway, but I wouldn't do that to you.

We'll attempt to Ghost. If that doesn't work, we'll attempt to hook 'er up as a slave. If that fails, he's fucked.

HomeLAN said:
We'll attempt to Ghost. If that doesn't work, we'll attempt to hook 'er up as a slave. If that fails, he's fucked.

Not really. There are some places that do data recovery that will get back up to 90% of anything 'lost'. They can be spendy, though...

I can't think of much that is super important on it other than digicam photos and my email. Everything else I can *eventually* rebuild.

unclehobart said:
I can't think of much that is super important on it other than digicam photos and my email. Everything else I can *eventually* rebuild.

Speaking of which...*makes a note to burn every digicam pic she's taken in the last over 2 years when she gets back to hamilton incase of a HD failure*

Gato_Solo said:
Not really. There are some places that do data recovery that will get back up to 90% of anything 'lost'. They can be spendy, though...

They're usually damned spendy - with no guarantee of success. Cash up front, please.

I don't think his pr0n collection was big enough to warrant that. :D

I've recommended that he install and use for backup a CD-RW twice that I'm sure I remember. Since he fried 2 of those, he's refused to buy another.

Back