DirecTV to Dish... Opinions?

Cerise

My D-tv dvr has a USB port, but the customer service people say that any use they plan for it will be in the future.

It would be nice plug it into the computer and download a few shows to a disk......

Mirlyn

My D-tv dvr has a USB port, but the customer service people say that any use they plan for it will be in the future.

The Motorola DVR box I used to have (two years ago) from the cable company had USB, eSATA, and DVI. None of which were activated and "were for future use". I hated that. How far out is "future use"? Some of those interface standards are on their way to the archive pile.

Those boxes are still in rotation, and the ports are still "for future use."

Mirlyn

The average consumer doesn't know what a USB port looks like by now?
Sure, but if its labeled as something different, it (should be) obvious to joe consumer that he shouldn't be able to plug his flash drive in the Service Port on the TV to get it to display pictures. Similarly, we often control TVs via serial. The rear-view previews you see of TVs along with item descriptions will often show/list the serial port, but not clearly indicate whether its for control or service. The port is recognizable as a standard connector, but its both labeled and used differently.

The USB port on the DVR I had was labeled USB, and the manual said it supported USB 2.0 storage devices, indicating there was a potential consumer-level feature that it offered. Yet the port was not enabled by the cable company.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The biggest question is, why do we, the consumer, continue to pay for a product that, once administered, costs absolutely zero (DVR)

Winky

DirecTV is a scam

Because only a small portion of the population is technologically adept
enough to cap their video streams?

Besides it's a great revenue stream for the provider and of great use to the consumer.

Well I am sure the company's cost is minuscule, but it does also cover the cost of the guide being always kept up to date and whatever software/firmware upgrades you receive and may not even know about. The real answer though is that they can and they can because we will pay....

Well we're bummed! Can't get line of sight to their satellite because of our natural beauty (FUCKING TREES). There is a local guy I will ask just for a second opinion, but the one and only cable company here is pathetic, and it is as if DirecTV knows we can't get Dish because they want an arm and a leg to add a receiver and switch to high def!

GRRR!

:banghead:

ResearchMonkey

Well we're bummed! Can't get line of sight to their satellite because of our natural beauty (FUCKING TREES). There is a local guy I will ask just for a second opinion, but the one and only cable company here is pathetic, and it is as if DirecTV knows we can't get Dish because they want an arm and a leg to add a receiver and switch to high def!

GRRR!

:banghead:
Maybe you should demand that they put up another satellite and quit denying you service over profit, greedy bastards..

Inkara1

If you can get a line of sight to the DirecTV satellites then it seems like you should be able to get a line of sight to the Dish satellites. Something stinks here.

No it's a slightly different angle and the trees are much taller in that direction. The guy who came out didn't seem very interested in working today and there is a local guy I can ask for a second opinion. but I don't expect anything because we have trouble even with our DirecTV with the trees when it rains heavily.

Why in the hell hasn't someone put up a subscription online TV service that features similar channel lineups? Is it a bandwidth issue? I know it could be done, but it could quickly probably outgrow itself perhaps?!? Anyone know any specifics?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No it's a slightly different angle and the trees are much taller in that direction. The guy who came out didn't seem very interested in working today and there is a local guy I can ask for a second opinion. but I don't expect anything because we have trouble even with our DirecTV with the trees when it rains heavily.

I wouldn't touch that with a TEN FOOT POLE

Surrounded on three sides by water in the Straits of Juan De Fuca, so too much high wind for that to even be an option.

The only two possibilities in that way would be perhaps a 6" tripod on a strategic patch of yard, or more likely on the roof.

Cerise

Grease his palm, next time

Ever get out, mush?