Dirty Harry ... Potter, that is

The sooner the better. The Potter books started off well, but they've decended into commercial drivvel.

I am somewhat fond of the book series. I read them when they first came out, several years ago. At the time, I thought that they were very good.

Now, I still like them, although I certainly wouldn't consider them that great. They're good kids' books, nothing less, nothing more.

I think it's good that they encourage a younger audience to read.

Our completely fucking retarded education system really fucks that one up badly, imo. They toss a bunch of stale "classic" novels at a bunch of young kids, and act surprised when the kids don't read it. If the only books I had access to were very boring and very difficult to understand novels written a long time ago, I would probably hate reading. I'm very lucky in that I had an uncle who encouraged me to take up reading stuff like Tolkein and Saberhagen, and a mother who reads a lot of newer 'realistic fiction'.

I just see these horrible books in school, which would make everyone hate to read. Then there are these amazing wonderful books that I get from the library, full of exciting adventures. It's a damn shame that those dusty old novels are alienating the youth from some really amazing literature.

For example, when I'm in school, and we've taken a test or something, and we have 15 minutes to kill, two, sometimes three people will pull out a book. The rest will pull out their MP3 players and cell phones. If that's where we're heading, in terms of intrest in literature, I'm going to be SOL in about 50 years, 'cuz there won't be enough people buying books for people to make a living writing 'em.

Back