• Most stuff, some ends up in the trash though

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • A little bit, most ends up in the trash though

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Hardly anything

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

majestyx

We don't have residential pickup for recyclables. We have to take it to the recycler bins ourselves. We crush our soda/beer cans and sell them to the recycler for about $.12/lb. so it takes a while to make it worth the trip, but that is what 55 gal. trash cans are for. We also take our paper/cardboard items to a recycler bin located at one of our local schools. They actually receive a portion of money received by the recycler for the contents of said bin. It helps the school fund extra-curricular activities such as school dances, etc.

And, SNP, I'd love to get back to having no curbs on 'roads'!!!

rrfield

My town has curbside pickup. Garbage is $2 per 32 gallon bag, weekly, recycling is free, semi-weekly. Only have to seperate paper from everything else.

TexasRaceLady

SouthernN'Proud said:
.Welcome to the sticks.

No curb here, either, SNP, although we do pay for pickup. Absolutely no provision for recycling anything if you live outside the city limits.

Out beyond the city, you can pay for pickup, haul to the dump(wherever that is), or burn your own.

I think there are some recycling centers up the road in Tyler --- but it takes an hour to get there and an hour getting back.

Mirlyn

HomeLAN said:
Yep. When they started CHARGING to recycle around here, everyone STOPPED doing it. Funny how that works.
I have no problem paying for it to a point, but ever since we "voted" to send our trash to OK, its turned into a profit-possibility instead of a service. Way to discourage it....

Wouldn't be suprised if its another $60 for recycling....

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
Yep. When they started CHARGING to recycle around here, everyone STOPPED doing it. Funny how that works.
They have to charge for it, it loses money hand over fist. If you think you're not paying for it another way when it's "free," you're kidding yourself.

catocom

chcr said:
They have to charge for it, it loses money hand over fist. If you think you're not paying for it another way when it's "free," you're kidding yourself.
I don't know about glass, but Alu, and plastics, are very profitable in this area.

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
I don't know about glass, but Alu, and plastics, are very profitable in this area.

First, it depends on whether the governments doing it or not.
Second, glass and plastics are generally cheaper to make than recycle.
Third, refined metals are much cheaper to recycle than to refine, but only if the infrastructure is in place.

As a general rule, recycling loses money. There are certainly busisnesses that make a reasonable profit but the initial investment is high. That's a real problem in the United States of the Immediate Bottom Line.