Does the UN...

Sure, if he had said something as misguided opinion it wouldn't have sounded quite as foolish.

That statement still would have shown him to be a pretty undesirable as a UN rep though.

spike said:
"There's no such thing as the United Nations" was stupid thing for Bolten to say then.

Since I have no idea what you're talking about, I'll blindly accept your premise that John Bolton, UN Ambassador said that. When I am less tired & care more, I may put it in context or find out that he never said any such thing.

ahhhh, context.

It wasn't for lack of trying. Democrats repeatedly pressed Bolton, 56, to explain his criticisms of the United Nations, including those from a fiery speech about 10 years ago to the World Federalists. Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) played a three-minute video clip in which Bolton said that "there's no such thing as the United Nations," and that if 10 floors of the 38-story U.N. headquarters building were eliminated, "it wouldn't make a bit of difference."

Hardly equitable to There is not nor has there ever been a Palestine. Gonzo circa 1995-2006

Gonz said:
ahhhh, context.

Hardly equitable to There is not nor has there ever been a Palestine. Gonzo circa 1995-2006

I don't remember equating that. Point is his statement makes him a pretty bad choice for a UN rep.

spike said:
I don't remember equating that. Point is his statement makes him a pretty bad choice for a UN rep.

Um, given the popularity of the UN where the US is concerned ... I'd say he's spot on. Don't you think a rep should represent his country's position and views, instead of worrying about being popular?

Professur said:
Um, given the popularity of the UN where the US is concerned ... I'd say he's spot on. Don't you think a rep should represent his country's position and views, instead of worrying about being popular?

He doesn't represent the country's views, just the current white house administrations views. I think it's obvious that someone who has this much disdain for an organization shouldn't be the rep at that orginization.

Similarly if someone said there's no such thing as the PTA they wouldn't be my first choice for the PTA board.

spike said:
He doesn't represent the country's views, just the current white house administrations views. I think it's obvious that someone who has this much disdain for an organization shouldn't be the rep at that orginization.

I love this about americans. No other country in the world does this. The current white house administration was put there .... by the country. Like it or not. Don't like it? You've an election coming up. Until then .... he represents your country.

Similarly if someone said there's no such thing as the PTA they wouldn't be my first choice for the PTA board.
Key word : "My". Oddly enough .... it wasn't your choice. That doesn't make him a good or bad choice for the job, in and of itself. Just like Bush wouldn't be your choice for Prez.

Try to avoid confusing opinion and fact.

In addition, at least a brief search turns up no figures on the UN's popularity in the US. I'll tell you this, though, Spike - a great many citizens of this country sure as hell DO agree with Bolton's assessment. "He doesn't represent the country's views" is yet another claim I doubt you can back up.

Professur said:
I love this about americans. No other country in the world does this. The current white house administration was put there .... by the country. Like it or not. Don't like it? You've an election coming up. Until then .... he represents your country.

Key word : "My". Oddly enough .... it wasn't your choice. That doesn't make him a good or bad choice for the job, in and of itself. Just like Bush wouldn't be your choice for Prez.

Try to avoid confusing opinion and fact.

It is well known that often representatives do things that don't represent the majority of their constituents views. Views very widely on different topics including the UN so classifying the countries views on the UN as a whole by the administrations is not a fair statement especially when that administration has a 30-something% approval rating.

I have no confusion about fact and opinion. Whether someone is/isn't a good candidtate is all a matter of opinion. I took it as opinoin when you said "I'd say he's spot on", I figured you'd do the same when I said "wouldn't be my first choice".

HomeLAN said:
"He doesn't represent the country's views" is yet another claim I doubt you can back up.

The idea was that representing the countrie's views was too broad a statement. He represents the adminstration's views.

Where are the other claims?

spike said:
It is well known that often representatives do things that don't represent the majority of their constituents views. Views very widely on different topics including the UN so classifying the countries views on the UN as a whole by the administrations is not a fair statement especially when that administration has a 30-something% approval rating.

I've yet to meet anyone who agrees 100% with their representative. I've never approved of a single raise for them, but they keep getting them. And when the approval rate drops .... well, that what the next election's for, isn't it?

I have no confusion about fact and opinion. Whether someone is/isn't a good candidtate is all a matter of opinion. I took it as opinoin when you said "I'd say he's spot on", I figured you'd do the same when I said "wouldn't be my first choice".

He doesn't represent the country's views

Stated as fact, not opinion.

Professur said:
Stated as fact, not opinion.

I'll restate that for clarity. There is no reason to assume that Bolton's views on the UN or the administrations views on the UN correlate to the rest of tghe countries views on the UN or even the majority of the countries views on the UN. They may or may not.

It is probably fair to assume Bolten's views coincide with the administration's views.

spike said:
I'll restate that for clarity. There is no reason to assume that Bolton's views on the UN or the administrations views on the UN correlate to the rest of tghe countries views on the UN or even the majority of the countries views on the UN. They may or may not.

It is probably fair to assume Bolten's views coincide with the administration's views.

Much better, thank you. But there is a reason to make that assumption. The last election.

Professur said:
Much better, thank you. But there is a reason to make that assumption. The last election.

There's also reason to assume that currently the administrations views reflect 30-something% of the country's views.

spike said:
I'll restate that for clarity.

Thank you.

The other to which I referred was in the other thread - you know, when you stated conservatives were more likely to be pedophiles.

HomeLAN said:
Thank you.

The other to which I referred was in the other thread - you know, when you stated conservatives were more likely to be pedophiles.

No problem.

The other was a joke prompted by the Gonz "liberalization" comment. I guess things in type don't always get interpreted the way they are meant.

C'mon, now. Who isn't happy with our wonderful pimp government? I think the UN is doing a great job under the control and dictatorship of Bush. We only have to bomb 50 more countries 'till everyone is forced to trade and keep active communications with the US. We’re achieving success...Our president is currently trying to make the Armadillo, the US mascot. Now between that and PS2 our country is in fucking great control. The next LAN party is up @ the UN. The head match up is between Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice vs. Fouad Siniora (Prime Ministers of Lebanon) vs. Ehud Olmert (Prime Minister of Israel). The winner gets to decide who will be bombed up first.

Back