dogs & cats are off-limits

kuulani

Killing, selling or buying any dog or cat for food would be a felony under a bill that cleared the House Judiciary Committee yesterday.

source

what a bunch of crap. there are a lot of cultures in hawaii who eat dogs & cats ... and have been doing so for centuries. what next ... no eating fish, chicken, beef, and pork? :rolleyes:

PrincessLissa

They will never tell us we can't chicken because chicken aren't even protected but he Humane Slaughter Act.

Personaly I could never eat dog or cat (although I suspect that I may have through some sketchy chinese food by the scoop places) because I see them as pets and companions. I think that this new bill should include something about not eating domesticated animals. It took me a while to eat beef and pork as they are somewhat domesticated on the farms.

tonksy

i agree with ku'u. what's the difference. i think pigs are adorable but i'll sure put one in the pan at dinner time. cultural norms should be just that. not laws.....god, next it'll be rabbits. i love rabbit.

PrincessLissa

I think that I am just weird. I have a dear fondness for octopus so i refuse to eat them. I have tried it, but I won't eat them. I really don't care if other people do.

Cultural norms should be just that, I agree.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I am revolted by the tought of eatting dogs and/or cats but if someone else is doing it and not in any way tricking me into eatting it then it's all good. I don't think it should be allowed to be sold by like restaurants or whatever but if one wants to buy and cook and eat it themselves then so be it.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Here kitty kitty.

Sorry, just couldn't do it. I suppose I don't think there should be laws against it though. Could probably get some kind of religous freedom stance behind this.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If we shouldn't outlaw eating dogs & cats for reasons of tradition, then we would also need not make other things illegal, because of tradition. Say, don't the Arabs traditionally beat their wives?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
If we shouldn't outlaw eating dogs & cats for reasons of tradition, then we would also need not make other things illegal, because of tradition. Say, don't the Arabs traditionally beat their wives?

I don't see it cause of tradition...I figure if a person wants to eat cats and dogs cause they like them then fine. I wouldn't do it...but there are some people who won't eat pork for reasons similar to why I won't eat cats and dogs...to each his own.

chcr

Too cute for words
PT said:
Here kitty kitty.

Sorry, just couldn't do it. I suppose I don't think there should be laws against it though. Could probably get some kind of religous freedom stance behind this.

If it was down to them or me... :shrug:

I'd be sad after.

It reminds me of a song by Bob Einwick (Bob, if I spelled that wrong feel free to be offended):

"Ran out of food today
Still somehow I made my way.
Shufflin' down the street
No little fellow at my feet.
Ate my dog today...

I got them doggone blues
Now he's in heaven chewin' shoes.
He was my cat's meow
Till he became puppy chow..."

There's more, but it's been a while.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nixy said:
I don't see it cause of tradition...I figure if a person wants to eat cats and dogs cause they like them then fine. I wouldn't do it...but there are some people who won't eat pork for reasons similar to why I won't eat cats and dogs...to each his own.

I'm just following the flow of the thread & taking it to the next step.

ku'u said:
there are a lot of cultures in hawaii who eat dogs & cats

kuulani

tonksy said:
i agree with ku'u. what's the difference. i think pigs are adorable but i'll sure put one in the pan at dinner time. cultural norms should be just that. not laws.....god, next it'll be rabbits. i love rabbit.

see. that's my point. lawmakers don't want you eating dogs & cats because they're "pets" ... but rabbits are pets too. why aren't rabbits included in the bill?

and what about hunting? chasing a wild animal around the forest and murdering it? why is that "ok" and raising an animal to kill is not? lawmakers are just silly.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Rabbits haven't reached the level of domesticity that cats & dogs have. Fluffy, the long eared wild tailed bunny has very little in common with a wild jackrabbit. Personally, if someone wants to eat Fido...and they don't come get mine...more power to them. It was always amusing to watch certain Asians move to a new area. The local roaming critter population declined dramatically.

Hunting is what carnivores do. Be them dogs, lions, cheetahs or humans.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
Rabbits haven't reached the level of domesticity that cats & dogs have. Fluffy, the long eared wild tailed bunny has very little in common with a wild jackrabbit. Personally, if someone wants to eat Fido...and they don't come get mine...more power to them. It was always amusing to watch certain Asians move to a new area. The local roaming critter population declined dramatically.

Hunting is what carnivores do. Be them dogs, lions, cheetahs or humans.

Exactly my thoughts...if they're not eatting my pets and not forcing me to eat those animals then noone has any right to tell them they CAN'T eat it

Mare

Ewwwww! Thats just SICK-eating a cat or a dog, their domestic animals....then again ppl do have some weird pets as domestic ones, BUT i could not bring myself to eat a cat or dog...... :sick3:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Mare said:
Ewwwww! Thats just SICK-eating a cat or a dog, their domestic animals....

So are cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, sheep...etc, etc, etc...;)

Mare said:
then again ppl do have some weird pets as domestic ones, BUT i could not bring myself to eat a cat or dog...... :sick3:

That's because you have the luxury of plentiful food. I'm more pragmatic. If I'm starving, and your friendly poodle happens to be jaunting by, don't turn your back. ;)

For those who want to know, though, cat tastes terrible. :sick:

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
For those who want to know, though, cat tastes terrible. :sick:

Really? Someone told me it tastes like chicken. I would not be surprised if he'd been lying though.

Mare

Gato_Solo said:
If I'm starving, and your friendly poodle happens to be jaunting by, don't turn your back.

HEY! My sis has got a poodle and he's a pain in the ass sometimes...If I give you her address will you go eat him for me!!!! :D