Don't be to collosally stupid

Professur

Man Is Charged $4,300 for Four Burgers

Tue Mar 28, 4:06 PM ET

PALMDALE, Calif. - Four burgers at his neighborhood Burger King cost George Beane a whopping $4,334.33.

Beane ordered two Whopper Jr.s and two Rodeo cheeseburgers when he pulled up to the drive-through window last Tuesday. The cashier, however, forgot that she'd entered the $4.33 charge on his debit card and punched in the numbers again without erasing the original ones — thus creating a four-figure bill.

The electronic charge went through to George and Pat Beane's Bank of America checking account and left the couple penniless. Their mortgage payment was due and they worried checks they had written would bounce, Pat Beane said.

"We were thinking, 'No, not now!'" she said of the overcharge.

Terri Woody, the restaurant manager, said Burger King officials tried to get the charge refunded. But the bank said the funds were on a three-day hold and could not be released, Pat Beane said.

The hold is designed to prevent customers from spending money that no longer is available in their accounts and to let the bank confirm a transaction is legitimate before transferring funds, said Bank of America supervisor Joel Solorio.

Burger King did not charge the Beanes for their meal, and the couple got their $4,334.33 back on Friday.

"For those three days, those were the most expensive value burgers in history," Pat Beane said

And you fucking deserved it. Next time, look at the fucking pad and the amount you're being charged before you tap in your pin number. If it doesn't say the correct amount, it may as well say "Hey Stupid, gimme your pin"

Thanks for encouraging crime and stupidity in the world.

Source

debit card for a $4 purchase? hell, i have at least twice that much in change in the car at any given time.

Professur said:
Next time, look at the fucking pad and the amount you're being charged before you tap in your pin number.

Which is why cashiers hate people like me...the ones who actually pay attention to the sale.

Debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo can be used as credit, as well, since Burger King accepts credit cards. Annyone familiar with banking, at least in the US, should be able to figure out that's what happened because there was a three-day hold on the funds; PIN-based debit transactions clear instantly. Also, many fast food joints don't require the customer to sign the receipt for transactions below a certain amount, which I think is $25. Also, most fast food joints have a card machine that's separate from the cash register, requiring the cashier to type in the amount of purchase. Finally, this was in the drive-thru window, so the people in the car usually can't see the amount of the sale on the back display of the register.

That means either the customers said they didn't need a copy of the receipt, or they didn't look at the receipt when they got it.

Oh, prof... if you're going to call someone stupid in the thread title, make sure you get two/to/too right... and spell "colossally" right too. :p

Two things, Inky. First, collosally came right outta the spell checker in Word. I didn't think it looked right, so I ran it and it came up clean. Blame Bill
Second, if it was off his credit card, why was he worried about about his mortgage payment? Clearly says it was his chequing account.

One way or another, this guy was a twit. You should always check the transaction amount properly. Whether you're signing a piece of paper or punching in your PIN, always check the amount.

Uki Chick said:
One way or another, this guy was a twit. You should always check the transaction amount properly. Whether you're signing a piece of paper or punching in your PIN, always check the amount.
No no...if the person does the draft from your account via a bankcard it is immediate. The place was going to put it back in and that's what the wait was for.

If you do a transaction with a debit card that has a Visa or MasterCard logo, you have the option of doing the transaction as debit or credit. Either way, the funds come from the checking account, but if it's credit it goes through the Visa system first. That would be otherwise known as the "Visa Check Card." If the transaction is done as credit, the amount of the transaction is "held" but not actually withdrawn for a few days. If it's done as debit, the transaction clears instantly. I should also mention that, at least at the RadioShack I worked at, there's no system to return funds to the card if it was used as a PIN-based debit card. To return funds that way, we'd have to use the card as credit... which is the same thing as someone paying cash for an item, returning it and having those funds put on a card.

This person probably used the card as credit because there's no fee to the customer, other than higher prices which are charged regardless of payment method. Most fast food restuarants tack on a fee of between 50 cents and $1.50 for debit.

Inkara1 said:
If you do a transaction with a debit card that has a Visa or MasterCard logo, you have the option of doing the transaction as debit or credit. Either way, the funds come from the checking account, but if it's credit it goes through the Visa system first. That would be otherwise known as the "Visa Check Card."

This person probably used the card as credit because there's no fee to the customer, other than higher prices which are charged regardless of payment method. Most fast food restuarants tack on a fee of between 50 cents and $1.50 for debit.

If you ever wondered why I never visit California, you can add the fucked up way of doing business to the ever growing list.

Professur said:
If you ever wondered why I never visit California, you can add the fucked up way of doing business to the ever growing list.

That system is nationwide.

Inkara1 said:
That system is nationwide.

You're not improving it any.

Up here, where things make sense, a debit purchase can be returned, and a credit applied in the same fashion, or the customer can take it cash, their choice. The store eats it's own fees (just like they do for credit cards), and the customer has to pay any debit transaction fees monthly attributed to thier account.

tonksy said:
No no...if the person does the draft from your account via a bankcard it is immediate. The place was going to put it back in and that's what the wait was for.

I understand it's immediate, what I was saying is that he should have checked it. If you're using a debit card, you need to punch in your PIN in order for it to go through. Like Prof said, he should have checked the amount before punching in his PIN.

It's a drivethru...they don't have those. You give your card to the person and they run it inside. You get a touchpad for you pin but it doesn't show you any info. It was the receipt that tipped the guy off.

tonksy said:
It's a drivethru...they don't have those. You give your card to the person and they run it inside. You get a touchpad for you pin but it doesn't show you any info. It was the receipt that tipped the guy off.

Say what??? You're kidding. You've got to be. Here, there's an lcd on the pad, that shows the amount. You have to press "ok" for the amount, then the account (cheq, or sav), then, finally, your pin. For christ's sake, the guy could have swapped out the innards of your pad for his old calculator and you'd be none the wiser.

What freaks me out more is the ads I see from down there for the credit cards you can just swipe and go. No sig, no pin, no nuttin. WTF

Holy incentive to steal credit cards, batman!! :eek:

Leslie said:
What freaks me out more is the ads I see from down there for the credit cards you can just swipe and go. No sig, no pin, no nuttin. WTF

Holy incentive to steal credit cards, batman!! :eek:
I know! Personally, I use cash at these kind of places for the above mentioned reasons.

Back