Download Yahoo mail to Outlook, other POP3 clients

greenfreak

Found this little gem on HWC and tried it out, it works great.

Yahoo! Mail disabled free access to its POP3 service in April 2002. This resulted in many people (including myself) to look for alternative free POP3 services. But this exercise can be very difficult because of the fact that your Yahoo! Mail address could be with several people and informing all of them about your new email address could prove to be a nightmare.
And then o­ne day, I stumbled across a Perl script called FetchYahoo, which almost did what I wanted! It downloaded emails from Yahoo's website and presented them in a format such that email clients like Netscape and Pine could read them. But, the format in which it saved the emails is not supported by all email clients, including the o­ne that I use. Also, making a layman install Perl and to get a Perl script to work could be a nightmare.

So, YahooPOPs! was born. YahooPOPs! is an open-source initiative to provide free POP3 and SMTP access to your Yahoo! Mail account. YahooPOPs! is available o­n the Windows and Unix platforms.

YahooPOPs! emulates a POP3/SMTP server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, IncrediMail, Calypso, etc., to download and send emails from Yahoo! accounts.

How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway. It provides a POP3/SMTP server interface at o­ne end to talk to email clients and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to talk to Yahoo!

If you are not convinced that YahooPOPs! works, just download it right away and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Download site: http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=2

I've got the plus account.
When my mom wants hers D/Led she just sends them to me, then
I archive them.
$30/year isn't bad for all the options you get. IMO

I was thinking about upgrading too because that was my first email address, I've had it for years. But nowadays I only use it for when I sign up for something online and expect more spam than what I already have. It's not my primary email for everything else so I left it as is.

i check my yahoo mail about once a month to keep the account alive and empty the inbox of spam. it's probably my oldest email account still in existence. i think there is a hotmail tool like this too, maybe it's just a linux thing.

I quit using yahoo since they removed the pop3 service, I used to do my searches there and now it's been months since i last visited yahoo.com, and paying US$30 a year for a service I can get anywhere else for free is something i just won't do.

Currently, I use 3 different POP/SMTP accounts and all for free: ISP one, a free one and the one they gave me at school.

Whenever I signup at some place I use my garbage account at netscape.net

25mbs space
10mb attachments
message archiving and d/l
virus scanning online before d/l
Personalized stationary

Free? :confused:

Thanks GF.
I've been using Yahoo for eons, it seems...everyone knows my email on there, including spammers :p

I use it every day as it is, for all signups etc...but keep my business on another addy entirely. Same for family.

I hope that this works :)
Thanks again

You're welcome. :)

It does work, I've been using it since I posted it. I just have trouble sending email from the Yahoo account but I typically send from a different account in OE so it's not a big deal.

I have 14 ISP mailboxes available... I'm only using 6... plus hotmail and talk21 for access from anywhere.

I can redirect my ISP mail to talk 21 while I'm on holiday if i want. Mainly cos I can never remember my passwords as they are set by my ISP... 1o digit alpha numeric... 6 of them? I think not!

Back