Driving 12 miles on a flat tire .

Dave

I wonder if she is related to the idiot I saw backing up in a rotary because she missed the on ramp....

Professur

I've told my wife to drive on her rim if need be (to get off the highway, or to get to a safe location at night)

Inkara1

I'd drive on my rim too if I were in the People's Republic of Quebec, land of the mandatory tow which you're charged for.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I got a flat this morning...I did not drive 12 miles on it and there were no sparks. Doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass though. Flat is getting repaired as we speak (I never realized how teeny spare tires are until I saw one on my car) and winter tires are getting put on (I'll be damned if I'm going back to the tire place in 2 weeks to get them done so I scooted over to my storage unit after I had the donut on and grabbed the snow tires to get everything done at once).

Professur

I got a flat this morning...I did not drive 12 miles on it and there were no sparks. Doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass though. Flat is getting repaired as we speak (I never realized how teeny spare tires are until I saw one on my car) and winter tires are getting put on (I'll be damned if I'm going back to the tire place in 2 weeks to get them done so I scooted over to my storage unit after I had the donut on and grabbed the snow tires to get everything done at once).

the compact spares have only one purpose: save 5lbs. IMHO, they're something between totally useless and a road hazard. If your trunk will take it (and most won't, but it's worth the time to check) get a full sized spare. What I do is have my winter tires mounted on a second set of rims, and I keep one of them as the spare (and naturally a 4 season during the winter).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My winter tires are mounted on their own rims, a full size will not fit in my tire compartment though.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I literally drove 12miles (if that) on my spare that day and I drove at a very reasonable speed...I wasn't taking any chances.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Although it will give you piece of mind that I have not yet got around to dropping the all seasons off at the storage unit so I technically have 4 full sized spares in my back seat right now!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Does make you wonder what they thought you'd do with your full sized flat, doesn't it?

Yeah, if I'd been on a roadtrip with a car full of people and a trunk full of our stuff I'd have been SOL. Luckily my trunk was empty so the spare could go in the trunk.