Drugs???

chcr said:
Yep. Gangs, violence, shootings in the streets, innocents caught in the crossfire, stop me when some of this starts sounding familiar. Prohibition did no, does not, will not work. I agree, Prof, that it doesn't change what has happened before. People rarely learn from their own mistakes, almost never from the mistakes of others.

thats what a lot of people say when it comes to legalising drugs: prohibition doesnt work. problem is that there is good $$ in it for both the gov't and for the peddlers.

Spot said:
actually, the pot today is about 10 times stronger than 20-30 years ago. more concentrated THC in the plants from careful cultivation.

tobacco and alcohol are far more damaging than pot could ever hope to be.

Negative on both counts. Pot has a higher concentration of tar and carcinogens than cigarettes. Alcohol is less addictive, and the effects leave your system at a much faster rate.

Spot said:
talked to a bunch of co-workers about pot the other day and they mentioned they have never seen an OD from pot, no domestic voilence, no shootings, drastically fewer MVAs while under the influence ( not condoning it, just stating an observation) among other things.

as far as personal drug use, aside from pot and alcohol i used speed a few times in high school but stayed away from everything else.

Operative word is they. Until you find something factual to back up what your friends stated, then you really don't know...

tonks said:
dude, ectasy (or however they are spelling it these days) is really not good for you, now i don't know if it's the drug itself or maybe something that it gets cut with, but one of them is potentially lethal and according to some schmuck on oprah - puts holes in your brain. now that maybe propaganda but there are an awful lot of people ODing. i wouldn't touch it, meself.

X has heroin in it sometimes, that's the bad stuff. I have never tried it myself.

In college, I did quite a few drugs. Pot, alcohol, LSD, shrooms, opium (as well as some pills that are derived from opium, like vicodin and loritabs), nitrous (aka "hippie crack"), salvia, PCP (once), probably some others.

Never did any type of coke. Never did heroin.

Today I just drink some. Pot puts me to sleep, plus I have the fear of a random drug test at work. I am done with LSD, have no desire to do that again after doing it at least 2 times a week for 3 or 4 months.

As far as why marijuana is illegal...simple, racism and money. During prohibition, jazz musicians and african-americans smoked the pot instead of bootlegging booze. White america cought wind to this in part because of a song called "Reefer Man" by Cab Calloway ("What's the matter with this guy? / He's high! / Do you know that reef-reef-reef-reef-reef-reef-reefer man? / Reefer Man!"). Also, someone else pointed out that the cotton industry pushed for the illegalization of all types of hemp, regardless of whether or not the plant produced the buds that contain enough THC to get you baked.

rrfield

Gato_Solo said:
Operative word is they. Until you find something factual to back up what your friends stated, then you really don't know...

i mearly stated an observation made by co-workers with years of ER experience. i dont know if there have been any scientific studies done on the subject or not, but i'll take their word for it. if you wish to ignore that, then so be it. i know you dont know these people...

I think the biggest problem is that some people do not draw distinctions between different types of drugs. Pot is far less dangerous then coke or heroin. I'd venture to say that pot is far less dangerous then alcohol.

As someone stated earlier, no one overdoses on THC. One would fall asleep way before they could OD. People do, however, OD on alcohol (alcohol poisioning).

While I do not recomend this to my friends or family, driving while on the marijuana is not hard at all. While I am ashamed to admit this, I have driven drunk and from my first hand experience, driving drunk is a much stupider (more stupid?) activity to engage in. Exponentially. Pick an adjective.

rrfield

I agree with rrfield on the alcohol/pot bits.

That said, I indulge in alcohol and marijunana. That's about all I do or ever did. Used to smoke smigarettes, but don't anymore.

I'd still like to try morning glories or mushrooms, though.

Have I posted this before? it sounds dejavuish. :s

driving drunk is a much stupider (more stupid?) activity to engage in.
What about all the traffic you're holding up driving 8 miles an hour????
Not that I speak from experience...

Professur said:
And unlike alcohol, there's no easy sobriety test for cops to use.

My boat was boarded by the U.S. Coast Guard along with agents of the Drug Enforcement Administration, Immigration, and the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms after returning from the Virgin Islands. It was a routine sweep of all vessels in the port, part of the DEA's drug interdiction efforts.

They had these small sheets of blue paper that they asked us to touch with our fingertips. When I asked why, they told me that if there were drugs in our systems the paper would turn red where we touched it.

Sharky said:
My boat was boarded by the U.S. Coast Guard along with agents of the Drug Enforcement Administration, Immigration, and the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms after returning from the Virgin Islands. It was a routine sweep of all vessels in the port, part of the DEA's drug interdiction efforts.

They had these small sheets of blue paper that they asked us to touch with our fingertips. When I asked why, they told me that if there were drugs in our systems the paper would turn red where we touched it.

Sounds like litmus paper? Since when do drugs change your body's pH though...

Bungi said:
Sounds like litmus paper? Since when do drugs change your body's pH though...

I think it has more to do with having drug residue on your hands (even the most microscopic residue will immediately change the colour of the paper as the PH of drugs is obviously not neutral).

I cannot see how it would be effective though - even if you do not have drug residue on your hands the colour of the paper might change anyway, depending on the acidity of your body. And the acidity could be caused by any number of things, such a mineral defficiencies, under or over active glands etc.

i doubt it was litmus paper. the paper was probably treated with a chemical that reacts with cocaine.

Back