DSL

I found it easier to set up DSL over cable. Once Bell actually finally got it hooked up, that is.

I have no cat 5?

Computer>network card>phone cord supplied by the phone company>modem>wall (splitter if you want).

Didn't have to change IE settings at all from the default, either.

Satellite sucks. Stay with cable.

*reads thread. You can't stay with cable. Sucks to be you. :lloyd:

OH. They will try and tell you you have to use their software, but you do NOT. And you do not want to. It sucks too.

That "phone cord" that goes from the network card to the DSL modem is Cat5. Notice it's thicker than a regular phone cord and the connectors on each end are wider and have eight connectors instead of two or four like a regular phone cord.

When you get your DSL kit, they should give you a few DSL filters as well. They plug into your phone jacks and you plug your regular phones into them. These are important; not using them could result in random, annoying disconnects. Don't plug your DSL modem into a filter, though, unless it's a filter that has both a filtered and unfiltered output, in which case you'd use the unfiltered for the modem and the filtered for a regular phone.

Ope yep yep network card>cat5>modem>phonecord>wall. I was looking at the cordage between the modem and the wall :lloyd:

No cat5 cable in the wall is needed to connect to DSL. Telephone line to DSL modem; cat5 cable from modem to computer. All of my cables were supplied by the phone company, along with the phone line filters that Inky referred to.

So I should be able to just swap the modems (and the lines to the wall) and not have to install any shitty proprietary software. :aheadbng:

Satellite sucks. Stay with cable.

Au contraire. Cable sucks. Satelite is far cheaper, better picture & more choices.

The US options...
DirecTV-better for sports
DishNetwork-Better for movies
Gigantuan rotating satelite-best for everything, assuming you have room.

Au contraire. Cable sucks. Satelite is far cheaper, better picture & more choices.

The US options...
DirecTV-better for sports
DishNetwork-Better for movies
Gigantuan rotating satelite-best for everything, assuming you have room.

Well since I bought a 37" widescreen HD TV at Christmas,I'm looking st HD channels as well .:eyemouth:

I think choices in Canada might be a bit different, though.

I finally got the HD channels my cable co. offers for my 32" LCD HDTV... the difference is readily apparent, especially since they have my local channels in both HD and standard so I can switch back and forth and compare the two.

I think choices in Canada might be a bit different, though.

I finally got the HD channels my cable co. offers for my 32" LCD HDTV... the difference is readily apparent, especially since they have my local channels in both HD and standard so I can switch back and forth and compare the two.

seems we only have Bell xpressvu and Starchoice.Guess I'll look for some good Canadian Sat TV Forums.

I've only had ExpressVu, but the thing with me and satellite was the going out in weather thing.

Cable may get fuzzy or go out here and there, but when satellite goes out it's in a big way, and always in heavy snow or heavy rain, which is just EXACTLY when you'd wanna have a tv cause you wanna sit on the couch with a blankie.

Note that some external DSL modems use USB instead of networking as well. If you're hooking up multiple computers be sure to specify a cat5 modem rather than USB.

Bell's are both. They send both cables and the modems have both ?holes? so that you can choose.

I have express vu and don't find it too bad. It has gone down on occasion due to bad weather, but it depends in which direction the wind is blowing etc compared to the dish. There have been times where the snow or rain has been very heavy and the dish gave me no trouble at all.

:eek3: ..we've got whole boxes of cat 5 lying around ...

..they still worth anything over there?

Sure, for office or corporate networks. Not for the home user, 'cause it is unlikely to have Internet faster than 54Mbps.

How likely a dish is to go out in bad weather depends on the quality of the install and how clear of a view the dish has of the satellite. Dish network, for example, needs a signal strength of at least 70-75 (I forget which one) to work at all. As the signal strength gets closer to 100, you have more room to play with before you lose your signal. There's a setting in the menu for dish aiming that shows what your signal strength is. If your strength is close to 100 (I think it can surpass 100 but I don't have a dish unit here to allow me to check that), then it would take a hell of a storm to make it go out... and a storm that big will make your cable go out, too, because cable gets its channel feeds via satellite. So if your dish goes out easily in inclement weather, it's not aimed right and/or placed right.

Back