DSL

Tht's what I was trying to say. It needs at least 70 or 75 to work... so if you're getting a signal strength of 125, you've got 50-55 strength points to play with before you lose signal. It takes quite the storm to take 50-55 points away.

We have a couple of outages a year on DIsh. Those are caused by massive T-storms, 40-50,000' in height & typically tornadic in nature. However, in defense of the silly Canuck woman, their line of sight to the horizon is one hell of a lot shorter than those of us around or below the 40th.

We have a couple of outages a year on DIsh. Those are caused by massive T-storms, 40-50,000' in height & typically tornadic in nature. However, in defense of the silly Canuck woman, their line of sight to the horizon is one hell of a lot shorter than those of us around or below the 40th.

*sigh*

*ponders explaining the obvious & dismisses it as a lost cause*

Try this. Is the earth basically spherical? If you stand anywhere at all on a spherical body, your line of sight (always disregarding intervening obstacles) to the horizon will remain substantially unchanged. The sigh was for the fact that I'm pretty sure that well over half of Americans would have no idea what the problem with that statement was.

The distance to the horizon does not change as a function of latitude.

Since the topic at hand became a topic of satelite service & the two American main satelite companies, Echostar & DirecTV, fly their birds at or near the equator it should have been deduced, by reading the thread, that a lower latitude means a better line of sight to the fucking satelite.

Since the topic at hand became a topic of satelite service & the two American main satelite companies, Echostar & DirecTV, fly their birds at or near the equator it should have been deduced, by reading the thread, that a lower latitude means a better line of sight to the fucking satelite.

As always, it's usually much better to be concise. Sorry to have upset you but I must have left my psychic ability in my other pants.

The satellite would in fact be closer to her horizon than to yours. Direct TV maintains that this won't appreciably degrade signal quality as long as you have a clear line of sight to the satellite. Clearly they overstate the case, huh?

The problem, as far as line of sight being lower to ones own horizon, is the rapidly growing probability that trees & other tall objects will interfere. A clear LOS may provide a 90-100 strength signal (using their meter). Add a tall elm & a poplar & suddenly your strength is down to 74. The picure quality never diminishes. However, the lower you go, the higher liklihood that the signal can, and will, be intereupted by lower density clouds.

The problem, as far as line of sight being lower to ones own horizon, is the rapidly growing probability that trees & other tall objects will interfere. A clear LOS may provide a 90-100 strength signal (using their meter). Add a tall elm & a poplar & suddenly your strength is down to 74. The picure quality never diminishes. However, the lower you go, the higher liklihood that the signal can, and will, be intereupted by lower density clouds.

Plus, there's more atmosphere to see thru with all manner of pariculate matter suspended in it at those lower angles. They say you're supposed to be cool from 80N to 80S (I've read), but I'll bet it gets a little iffier the closer to 80 (either way) you get.

I'd like to try it but I can't get DSL where I am and FIOS ain't available yet (we won't discuss DirecPC) so I'm stuck with cable for the time being.

PS. Do you get your TV programming through FIOS? Is it even avilable yet?

Eagerly awaiting FiOS TV. It's in the process...they promise sometime in 2007/

Still have DishNetwork.

Can't get DSL? Are you outside the city limits? The growth there should have it on top of the regional priority list. Or just too far from the central swithing box?

Back