dumb girlie question

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
why is my TV squealing everso quietly yet everso annoyingly? what's wrong with it? is it feedback?

it's driving me absolutely around the bend! :eek5:

Almost all TVs do that, but only people with very good hearing can hear the noise. You are either lucky or unlucky, take your pick.

high pitched squeal...
dammit it's only a couple years old *sigh*

i'm losin it :errrr:

It's the noise that all picture-tube TV's and monitors make due to how fast they have to refresh the picture in order to simulate movement. Have fun with it, cause it'll never go away :swing:

fury said:
It's the noise that all picture-tube TV's and monitors make due to how fast they have to refresh the picture in order to simulate movement. Have fun with it, cause it'll never go away :swing:
:crying3:

gonna have to take up drinking then :eek5:

I was going to say the H.O.T., but vger beat me to it. Yes, they all make a faint, high-pitched squeal, but if it's that noticeable, I'd be worried.

yeah...it's that noticeable most of the time. I guess I better pinch my pennies so's i can get it fixed then.

chcr said:
I was going to say the H.O.T., but vger beat me to it. Yes, they all make a faint, high-pitched squeal, but if it's that noticeable, I'd be worried.
I hear the squeal clearly and loudly from every TV or monitor, even new ones. It's maddening unless something else is making sound. e.g. the computer that the monitor is hooked up to, or the TV's speakers. :shrug:

I've always been able to hear the noise from any and all TVs, too. I wouldn't classift the noise as a "squeal," though. More like a _very_ high-pitched buzz.

fury said:
I hear the squeal clearly and loudly from every TV or monitor, even new ones. It's maddening unless something else is making sound. e.g. the computer that the monitor is hooked up to, or the TV's speakers. :shrug:
I took Leslie to be saying she could hear it all the time, even when the TV was making noise?

BTW, Les, even if it's the high output transformer it could still last for years. Of course, it might quit tomorrow too.

chcr said:
I took Leslie to be saying she could hear it all the time, even when the TV was making noise?

BTW, Les, even if it's the high output transformer it could still last for years. Of course, it might quit tomorrow too.
I still hear it when there's sound playing, it's just that when there's sound playing, I actually have something to focus my hearing on.

My monitor makes that noise when it turns itself off now, or if I have the refresh set to less than 75. I just turn it off when I get up now, but I guess there isn't an option to change the refresh rate on a TV, huh?

PuterTutor said:
My monitor makes that noise when it turns itself off now, or if I have the refresh set to less than 75. I just turn it off when I get up now, but I guess there isn't an option to change the refresh rate on a TV, huh?

um....dunno? :confuse3:

:lloyd:

:lloyd: I really don't either. There should be, but I wouldn't know what on earth for.

PuterTutor said:
what brand/model is it PT? i've got a samsung that's made noise in power saving mode since i got it

Back