Dutchess Update

PostCode

Major contributor!
Well, we've had her for about a month and a half or so now. She's doing a hell of a lot better than when we first got her. She's not cowering all the time now. She still having a hard time understanding that getting scolded dosen't mean she's going to get hit. She is getting better though. She barks at Michelle's grandma when she comes in the front door...I always say good dog under my breath. :D

Here's a few pics from today. Nice day so we took her out for some tennis ball chasin'. Ohhh man, did she love this.

dutchess_020803.jpg

dutchess1_020803.jpg

dutchess2_020803.jpg

I got some better images with the Canon EOS system, but going to have to wait till they get developed and scanned in before doing anything with them.

I had to wear a winter jacket, a hat and mitts when I went out today!!!

Now, my jacket and hat are sexy (mitts are just mitts) and they make me look AWESOME but I still wouldn't mind some tank top weather....

Jacket? :eek:

It feels like spring in here, the sun burns like hell between 11am and 3pm.

Actually, hehehehe, I live in a state known for rain. Oregon. More to the point, this area gets more rain per year than Seattle does. We just happen to be having a rather nice high pressure system sitting over us right now.

Snow? Yeah, we'll see that next weekend when we go on our yearly snowshoeing trip up on Mt. Hood. The dog is going to be going with us. Were not sure, but we think this will be her first time in the snow. The hike is a 2.2 mile, 1200FT elevation gain hike. We do it once a year. At the top where we stay is the Tilly Jane Cabin, which has a big ass wood stove in it. None of that winter tent shit for me. I prefer my balls to located on the outside of my body thank you. :lol:

Anyway, this should be a good adventure for her. Got her a little pack so she can carry my beer for me too. :) :) :)

it's great she's doing so well, Posty :)

um...a word of warning, I've been reading a bit about tennis balls, that apparently they work like sandpaper on a dog's teeth, so make sure that you don't let her chew on the ball once she's got hold of it...

we're only giving our girl rubber balls now, she can chew a tennis ball to threads in mere minutes :eek:

She got a hold of the kids baseball. Had the leather wrapping off in about 10 minutes. hehehe

Thanks for advise. Rubber balls from now on.

um...a word of warning, I've been reading a bit about tennis balls, that apparently they work like sandpaper on a dog's teeth, so make sure that you don't let her chew on the ball once she's got hold of it...

:eek:
i didn't know that!
looks like i'm going to the pet store tomorrow.
thanks Leslie

I got Shadow one of those new nylon balls. The particles are non toxic, so it's ok for her to chew it to bits. Being a big (85lbs) shepard, she needed something serious to chew. The hardest Nylabones lasted her minutes.

Professur said:
The hardest Nylabones lasted her minutes.
Doncha HATE that?? My little dogs don't even know what toys are. Big Snuggy snatches them up and eats them within nanoseconds.:grumpy:

Shadow would never take another dog's stuff. In fact, the major reason I got her was that she'd ripped another dog open for trying to take her biscuit. Opened the other from collarbone to ear. That the other dog (the owner's mother's dog) was constantly doing it was no justification in their eyes.

Later on she was heard growling at one of the owner's kids when the kid tried to hit her with a wooden spoon (like he'd seen his dad do) she was headed for a permanent vet visit. I stepped in and took her home with me. Never had a lick of trouble or worry in nearly 10 years. Despite her having to deal with my parents dog (who was much smaller and more obedient than the thief)

Dud chomped a little kid once. My stepdaughters bf's 3 y/o. I used to put the dogs in the room when she came over because she would always try to hit them in the face and scream bad doggy at them. One time I wasn't home when she came over....nobody was watching her and this time she was weilding a wooden back scratcher as a weapon. I don't know how many times she smacked him before he got pissed. But she came over the next day and tried to do the same thing.

Kongs are GREAT toys,

it's the only thing she's not even managed to get a tooth mark into, never mind tear into ribbons.

Back