E-bay strategies

Um, dude. You just paid 50 bucks for a Hoyt? Is that Canuckian? Even if it's not, that's not a bad deal with the taxes and duties.

Here's the bill.

$38 US bid for the bow
$27 US shipping (actual 17.75 shipping means nearly $10 US handling)
$23.16 Cdn taxes and duties.

I don't mind paying a handling charge, but if you're gonna charge me, at least have a fucking clue what you're doing.

Well, I agree. I'd probaby be pissed too. But anyway, how does it shoot?

Usually by holding it with one hand while you pull back the bowstring with the other, then letting go of the string... :lloyd:

Well, it shot like shit. At least it did. Then the old boys at the club took it off me, and went to work. Holy mother of Gawd. Sweet is the only word to describe it. Shot a 2" cluster at 15 yards. I hadn't a clue there was so much they could do with a well founded machine. Not to mention that it gave the club a chance to buy and play with some new tools. First they trimmed the draw weight from 70# to 53#. Reset the draw to 29". Tuned the tiller. Adjusted the rest. (They're after me to change it to a QuickTune 1000). Confirmed the nock placement, inspected and rewaxed the strings. Installed lock screws I didn't even know were missing.

And last, but long from least, made me change arrows. I'd have never thought that too much arrow could be a problem. They consulted charts, measured, and had me fire arrows from damn near everyone's quiver until they handed me a shopping list. Well, yesterday I was near the archery supply they suggested, with a few minutes on my hands, so in I went. Half an hour later, I walked out $60 poorer, with half a dozen Easton Camo-hunters. 2114@29 xx75. Flights, nock, insert and 100g point. Well, last night I shot them for the very first time. And promptly gave away my old 2216@31 Easton Gold Stalkers. DAMN. SWEET. Motherfucking dangerous.

Maybe I will look into that QT1000 after all.

i couldn't see it. said it was invalid or something...ironically enough, i have just discovered e-bay and in the fast 2 days have make two purchases.

I'm not really the sniping kind, although I've done it a couple times.

The first thing I do is look for the auctions with "buy it now" prices. If the price and shipping is within what I'm willing to pay, then I buy it. Otherwise, I bid what I'm willing to pay. If someone outbids me, I just look for similar items with lower prices. I don't win all the time, but I get my stuff pretty cheap when I do win.

True, ebay can be addictive. I once bid on a bunch of stuff at the time (all which I thought I badly needed), and immediately realized I had no way of paying for all of it if I won it all. Luckily, I got outbid on everything. So now I just bid on one thing at a time. After I place a bid, I tend to keep looking, but I stop myself and logoff before I go overboard.

Professur said:
Be careful. E-bay is seriously addictive.
i know! but it's a money saving addiction...for the most part. i bought a dozen pair of those shoes i bought in montreals china town and i got them all for $18. my second purchase was 12 assorted baby plants for $7.

tonksy said:
i know! but it's a money saving addiction...for the most part. i bought a dozen pair of those shoes i bought in montreals china town and i got them all for $18. my second purchase was 12 assorted baby plants for $7.
Ahh women. They can save you money by buying stuff. :confused:

chcr said:
Ahh women. They can save you money by buying stuff. :confused:
i'm not saving "you" money, i'm saving me money! :D
seriously. i've been buying thee shoes here at $5 a piece and i'm constantly buying new plants. right now i'm bidding on some bras that would normally cost me about $40 a pop because i have to special order them. so... a penny saved is a penny earned.

Back