eBay questions!

FluerVanderloo

I posted my Coldplay tickets for this Thursday up on eBay for a second time, and just before the auction ended Sunday at 6pm the tickets were bid on and won for $150. So far the buyer has not contacted us about how she will pay. She lives in Massachusetts (I live in Maryland) and the best way to send them would be US Express Mail, 1-2 days, and it's $18.80. We set it that winner pays all shipping costs, bringing her total up to $168.80. Again, she has not contacted us about her payment method despite us sending her an email and invoice including my telephone number for more rapid contact. The phone number she listed on eBay is not in service.

We stated on the auction that payment must be received in 5 business days, but the show is Thursday. If she doesn't pay by tomorrow I'm thinking of reporting her, but can I do that if I stated 5 days? If I wait that long the show will have passed, do I still make sure she pays me?

tonksy

Unfortunately, it's 7 days before you can post an Unpaid Item Dispute...unless she is no longer a registered ebay user.

FluerVanderloo

She's been registered since May 2005.

So I'm binded by eBay's rules to wait 7 days before reporting her, is that what you mean? I just want to make sure this is all straight. It's my stepfather's account, so I basically don't know much. I was assigned to do the dirty work with this while they're at work today. So far still no word from her.

tonksy

This is directly from the ebay dispute console page:
Unpaid Items can usually be resolved by direct communication between buyers and sellers. In such cases, eBay provides an online process through which the buyer and seller can communicate with each other to resolve the situation. Please note that eBay's Unpaid Item policy and eBay's User Agreement both make clear that buyers must pay for the items that they commit to purchase.

Typically there are four steps to the Unpaid Item process:

1) Seller files an Unpaid Item dispute.

Sellers can report an Unpaid Item up to 45 days after the transaction date (i.e. the date when the buyer commits to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it). Usually the seller must wait 7 days after a listing closes to file an Unpaid Item dispute. However, in the following exceptional cases, the seller can file a dispute immediately:
At the time of the filing the buyer is no longer a registered user of eBay, or
The seller and buyer both wish to mutually withdraw from the transaction.
In the first case the buyer will receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit without any additional steps. In the second case the seller must file the dispute for mutual withdrawal reasons first, and if the buyer responds to the dispute and agrees the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit and no strike will be given to the buyer. If the buyer fails to respond, the seller can still close the dispute to receive a Final Value Fee credit, but the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike.
File an Unpaid Item dispute
See all my Unpaid Item disputes

2) eBay contacts the buyer.

Once the seller files an Unpaid Item dispute, eBay sends the buyer an email notification and displays a pop-up message if the buyer signs in within 14 days of the filing. The email and pop-up message will provide details on one of the following situations:
Friendly reminder to pay - the email and pop-up message will remind the buyer that payment has not been received, along with simple instructions on how to respond or how to pay for the item. If the buyer does not respond to the email or pop-up message within 7 days, the seller may file for a Final Value Fee credit. The seller also becomes eligible for a free relist credit.
Mutual agreement indication - while filing the Unpaid Item dispute, if the seller indicates that a mutual agreement has been reached with the buyer not to complete the transaction, eBay will ask the buyer for confirmation through an email and pop-up message.
If the buyer confirms the seller's statement about mutual agreement not to complete the transaction, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit.
If the buyer disagrees with the seller's statement on mutual agreement, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will not receive a Final Value Fee credit. The dispute will be closed immediately after the buyer responds and the seller will not be eligible to re-file an Unpaid Item dispute for that transaction.
If the buyer does not respond to the email or pop-up message within 7 days then the seller will be able to close the dispute. The seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer will not receive a strike.
3) Communication between the buyer and seller

The buyer is presented with several response options to communicate to the seller:
I want to pay now - simply paying for the item will close the dispute. For listings where PayPal is available, the buyer just has to pay via PayPal to close the dispute. With other payment methods (such as checks or money orders), the seller is encouraged to wait until payment is received before choosing the appropriate option to close the dispute.
I already paid - if payment has already been made, the buyer may provide details of the payment to the seller for review. The seller can then choose the appropriate option to close the dispute.
Communicate with the seller - the buyer and seller can attempt to resolve the problem by communicating directly through the eBay Web site. eBay will provide a message area where the buyer and seller can communicate with each other without relying on email. The seller can close the dispute at any time by choosing the appropriate closure option.
4) Closing the dispute

The seller can close the dispute after the buyer has responded at least once, or if the buyer does not respond within 8 days. A seller can find all Unpaid Item disputes they have filed in their Dispute Console. The seller has several options to close the dispute:
We've completed the transaction and we're both satisfied. With this option, the seller does not receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike.
We've agreed not to complete the transaction. With this option, the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit.
I no longer wish to communicate with or wait for the buyer. With this option, the buyer receives an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit.
A dispute can only be open for 60 days after the transaction date (i.e. the date when the buyer commits to buying the item and the seller commits to selling it). If the seller has not closed the dispute within 60 days, it will be automatically closed. When this automatic closure takes place the seller does not receive a Final Value Fee credit and the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike.

Feedback and Unpaid Items

If a buyer does not respond to an Unpaid Item notification and the seller closes the case with an Unpaid Item strike, the buyer can still leave a feedback comment about the transaction, but any feedback rating they leave will not appear and will not count toward the seller’s feedback score. An eBay administrative note will appear under the buyer’s feedback comment, explaining that the buyer did not participate in the Unpaid Item process.
Unpaid Item strikes do not affect a user's feedback score or member profile.

tonksy

Why are you selling your tickets anyway? Sorry that your ebay selling experience is not so stellar BTW.

Inkara1

So far the only downer with my eBay selling experiences is that some people take over a month to leave feedback. I'm thinking I shouldn't give positive feedback immediately upon receipt of payment anymore.

tonksy

Some people just don't leave feedback. I have about 3 pages of items awaiting feedback. Annoying, but a fact.

Inkara1

The worst offender is the lady that bought my old cordless phone. That auction closed Jan. 29. She paid right away, but the last feedback she left was Dec. 29 so there are probably a lot of items she's won awaiting feedback. The other two closed Feb. 13 so patience is still in order there.

The thing about the one that bought the phone... I sent a message a couple of weeks ago asking if it got there since there's been no feedback and she hasn't sent me anything saying it didn't.

tonksy

People that are occasional buyers aren't concerned with their rating so why should they be concerned with yours?....At least, I suppose that's what their mindset is.

Inkara1

Her feedback rating is 213, though. I'm not sure that qualifies as an occasional buyer, especially for someone that signed up in 2003.

I'm probably the ultimate occasional buyer, since I signed up in February 2000 and my feedback is now up to 14.

FluerVanderloo

tonksy said:
Why are you selling your tickets anyway? Sorry that your ebay selling experience is not so stellar BTW.

Turns out I have a midterm the next day, plus I couldn't get off of work for the show. It's about an hour away from me, I wouldn't be back until about
1-2am and it's really not worth all that.

I did fine with selling one of my math textbooks. I got $60 more than the bookstore offered me.

FluerVanderloo

I got an email from her saying that she can't buy the tickets now. Can't I take action to get my money anyway? According to the website:

eBay said:
Unpaid Items can usually be resolved by direct communication between buyers and sellers. In such cases, eBay provides an online process through which the buyer and seller can communicate with each other to resolve the situation. Please note that eBay's Unpaid Item policy and eBay's User Agreement both make clear that buyers must pay for the items that they commit to purchase.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
FluerVanderloo said:
I got an email from her saying that she can't buy the tickets now. Can't I take action to get my money anyway? According to the website:

Sounds to me like you can but you'll need to file an unpaid item dispute and I dunno how long it will take to get the money or what you are suppose to do with the tickets (ie could you just give them to a friend or are you required to send them to the chick if they make her pay...even if it's after the date...)

FluerVanderloo

I'd just like to get a credit for the amount or whatever I can get. I put these on eBay so I wouldn't have to eat the $150 I paid for them. I've tried asking around campus, posting on Coldplay message boards, etc., but no go. I at least want to break even out of all of this.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
FluerVanderloo said:
I'd just like to get a credit for the amount or whatever I can get. I put these on eBay so I wouldn't have to eat the $150 I paid for them. I've tried asking around campus, posting on Coldplay message boards, etc., but no go. I at least want to break even out of all of this.

Sounds to me like you should get the money...

hey Tonks, did you ever get the cash for whatever it was you sent an unpaid item dispute in for?

Inkara1

Not from that person, but the difference is that hers was a resellable item. Fluer can't sell the tickets after the concert.

Fluer, placing a bid is a binding contract to buy the item. Ebay posts that all over the place. Stick it to her.

tonksy

FluerVanderloo said:
You can relist it at a shorter time frame....when is the concert again?
Nix? Which UID? I've had several.

unclehobart

$150 for concert tickets these days? ... jebus. I remember seeing Iron Maiden for 12.50 ... and Ozzy/Motley Crue for 18. Bandflation over the last 20 years has gotten nutso.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
You can relist it at a shorter time frame....when is the concert again?
Nix? Which UID? I've had several.

I don't remember...the person left you neg. karma and then ebay neutralized I know.