Ecuador vows to intercept Colombian planes entering its airspace

AlladinSane

Things are getting ugly in SA. Chavez effect?
Ecuador vows to intercept Colombian planes entering its airspace for fumigation

Ecuadorian Defense Minister Marcelo Delgado said Friday that army airplanes will fly over its border to prevent Colombian airplanes from entering Ecuadorian airspace during their anti-drug fumigation activities.

Delgado said if Colombian airplanes violate Ecuadorian airspace they would be intercepted and forced to land in Ecuadorian territory and that "appropriate" diplomatic measures will then be taken.

Relations between the two countries have been tense since Colombia renewed its aerial fumigation program on the border with Ecuador on Monday.

Quito deemed Colombian fumigation activities in the border area "unfriendly and hostile" and said it was possible Ecuador's ambassador to Bogota may be recalled.

He also said Ecuador may stop admitting Colombians displaced because of violence in the country and deport illegal Colombian immigrants.

Delgado told local press that the government has activated its border radar system and that the armed forces deployed in the area are in a state of alert.

Ecuadorian Foreign Affairs Ministry has called Colombian ambassador Carlos Holguin to register a "strong protest," demanding a halt to the fumigations.

Colombia suspended its fumigation program after its reached a deal with Ecuador in December 2005. Ecuador complained the fumigation harmed the environment and the health of local residents.

However, citing mushrooming illegal drug crops in the area, the Colombian government renewed the program on Monday. It said the fungicide glyphosate used was not toxic.

According to Colombia, there are more than 10,000 hectares of land planted with coca leaves in the area, which can translate into nearly 70 tons of drugs with a black market value of 1.9 billion U.S. dollars.

Colombia is the world's top cocaine producer and exporter with an annual output of over 500 tons, most of which is smuggled into the United States and Europe.

Source

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What? Ecuadaor wants to become the new Columbia? Take over the cartel market?

AlladinSane

No, they want to protect people who plants Coca. Like Bolivia is doing.
The article may not express the seriousness of the situation. As it was broadcasted here his(Delgado) tone was not in the sense that they "could" intercept Columbian aircraft, but more in the sense that they "will" do it.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
To what end? Does it provide some valuable lifesaving medicinal value that we are typically unaware? It has only one use, that I know.

It can also be used to synthesize an anasthetic. Used to be an ingredient in Novacaine, or so I was led to believe...

Oops. should've checked first...
Iffy source, but backed up here.

MrBishop

It can also be used to synthesize an anasthetic. Used to be an ingredient in Novacaine, or so I was led to believe...

Oops. should've checked first...
Iffy source, but backed up here.

Today cocaine is used in medicine mainly as a topical anesthetic in eye, ear, nose, and throat surgery and fiber tube optical examinations of the upper respiratory and digestive tracts. It has a combination of properties that cannot be duplicated by any of the synthetic local anesthetics: intense constriction of blood vessels (important whenever bleeding must be prevented), long duration of anesthesia (one hour), and low toxicity. Cocaine is no longer used in infiltration anesthesia (subcutaneous injection), in nerve block anesthesia, or in spinal anesthesia. 12 Recently topical application of cocaine to the upper palate has been recommended as a way of aborting the severe pain of cluster headaches. 13

Other medical uses are rare. Cocaine is an ingredient in Brompton's mixture, a preparation used in Great Britain for treating the chronic pain of terminal cancer, but controlled studies at a hospice in England have suggested that the cocaine in this drink provides no advantage over morphine alone." Cocaine was never tested seriously as a treatment for severe depression, but this idea is unlikely to be revived because the pharmacologically similar amphetamines have proved a failure for that purpose. Today substitutes have been found for most therapeutic uses of cocaine, and in most cases its dangers are believed to outweigh its potential benefits. Despite the recent and so far uncertain signs of reviving interest, coca and cocaine will never again be so widely used in medicine as they once were.

Legally, the coca leaf and all its derivatives containing cocaine are classified under the Controlled Substances Act as Schedule 11 drugs: This means that there is a currently accepted medical use but also a high potential for abuse and dependence. Schedule 11 drugs may be prescribed under special restrictions; hospitals and pharmacies are required to keep them in a locked place.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/meduse.htm

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wanna bet that a gross majority of Bolivian, Ecuadoran & Columbian coca farmers are not selling to Smith Glaxo...

AlladinSane

Coca tea is widely used locally to treat digestive problems. Somewhat it prevents some bad effects for living at high altitude. I think it has additional properties I'm not aware of.

Gato_Solo

Coca tea is widely used locally to treat digestive problems. Somewhat it prevents some bad effects for living at high altitude. I think it has additional properties I'm not aware of.

:grinyes: When I was in Panama, we were forbidden from drinking or 'importing' tea from Ecuador and Peru. Seems somebody in the past had had some to 'help him adjust to the altitude', and liked it so much he sent some home to his mom...;)

Gato_Solo

Well, not that you would need to adjust to altitude in Panama anyway ;)

He was TDY to Peru when he had the 'tea'. Brought two cases to Panama, and shipped one home. He got a bad conduct discharge and 2 years hard labor for his ignorance. I'm not sure if his mom ever received the tea, though...:lol2: