Enron verdict in...

MrBishop

As if any of this will get people their money back. :rolleyes:

Death Penalty... Pay-per-view
Proceeds to go towards giving Ma and Pa Kettle back their retirement money.

HomeLAN

MrBishop said:
As if any of this will get people their money back. :rolleyes:

Frankly, that's not the point. The point is to send a clear message to the next fuck-nut who wants to deceive the public and thereby enrich himself.

HomeLAN

No, dammit, I did not. The majority want to make their money legally. Among other things, these assholes are guilty of prompting and extending the misconception you obviously have of bussinessmen and investors.

They need to pay for that, for their deception, for their thievery, and for the suffering they've caused. Hopefully, that will be made to happen in September.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
No, dammit, I did not. The majority want to make their money legally. Among other things, these assholes are guilty of prompting and extending the misconception you obviously have of bussinessmen and investors.

They need to pay for that, for their deception, for their thievery, and for the suffering they've caused. Hopefully, that will be made to happen in September.

Sorry HL, but I wasn't talking about investors or business men. I was talking about people in general. Take a look in the paper about how many people profitted from a defective gas pump last week. How many people here tried to get in on that online pricing mistake last year on harddrives?

MrBishop

We get to find out what their penalty will be... on 9/11.

Considering their respective ages, they're likely to die in prison from old age before they get to see parole. Not a bad gig... minimum security VIP prisons are like high-end retirement facilities. No horny Bubbas in sight. :grumpy:

HomeLAN

Here's a little positive fallout. In the Personal Journal section of today's Wall Street Journal, there's an article about how companies are now limiting the amount their employees can put into company stock through the 401(k) retirement plan. This is a good thing.

If you have a chunk in company stock and it goes tits up, you've lost both your job and your retirement savings. That's a good way to celebrate your 70th birthday by asking "Do you want fries with that?" It's also exactly what happened to many Enron employees, after the 90's, when matching employee deferrals with company stock was seen as a motivational way to reward and retain employees. Too bad it's poison if the wheels fall off.

Post-Enron, lots of employees have been suing over those amounts in company stock within 401(k)'s, and the rules that sometimes oblidge you to hold those shares for years and years. Seeing the lawsuit hazard, big firms are now discouraging or outright limiting how much employer stock you can own in a 401(k). That'll help prevent more double-whammies.

Remember, folks, if you have a 401(k) and a company stock option within it, DO NOT allow yourself to hold more than 10% of your assets in the stock of your employer. Diversify.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Remember, folks, if you have a 401(k) and a company stock option within it, DO NOT allow yourself to hold more than 10% of your assets in the stock of your employer. Diversify.

I can't, for the life of me, get past the amount of people who said, in some variation "I was a millionaire until....". Upon exceding your net worth, on paper, with paper---SELL!!!!!

Greed kills ya every time. Ask the Vegas odds makers.

HomeLAN

Not necessarily true, Gonz. A certain amount if risk is both inevitable and acceptable. It's determining where the line is that's the art.

Those folks you're talking about wouldn't have been even paper millionaires without taking on substantial risks. If they'd sold before it was time (while you never kick yourself for taking a profit), they'd not have done as well. It's all about balancing the risk/reward equation.

Professur

Professur said:
Sorry HL, but I wasn't talking about investors or business men. I was talking about people in general. Take a look in the paper about how many people profitted from a defective gas pump last week. How many people here tried to get in on that online pricing mistake last year on harddrives?

Man who 'sold' gasoline for $10 charged

41 minutes ago

BALTIMORE - A man who police say pretended to be a station attendant and "sold" gasoline to drivers for $10 a tank was stealing the expensive commodity and pocketing the purchase money.
ADVERTISEMENT

Joseph K. Boulware, 41, of address unknown, was arrested May 19 at a gas station in West Baltimore where, police said, he dispensed 450 gallons of gas worth about $1,300. He was charged theft, assault and possession of crack cocaine. His bail status could not be determined late Tuesday.

Authorities said Boulware used a magnetic key and a code that effectively places a pump on standby mode, allowing him to dispense gasoline unnoticed.

Boulware had worked for gas testing companies, which is how police believe he obtained the key and code.

A spokeswoman for Austin, Texas-based Tanknology said Boulware worked there from February to May 2004, but would not discuss his employment further, The (Baltimore) Sun reported.

"He asks you, 'You want gas? I will fill you up for $10,'" said Mohammad Mehtabdin, manager of the Citgo station where Boulware was arrested. "Nobody will complain about that."

About 5:30 p.m. on May 19, a $71 charge for pump No. 8 showed up on the register inside the Citgo, catching sales associate Francis Okondu by surprise.

Okondu, Mehtabdin and three other employees confronted the man.

"I was working that night," said Mehtabdin. "He was going pump to pump. He was selling gas to the people. So our employees noticed. We asked him, 'What are you doing here?' He said, 'Nothing, nothing.'"

While trying to flee, the man punched a station worker in the face, the manager said.

"He tried to run away, but we surrounded him," Mehtabdin said. "He was yelling, 'I did nothing.'"

The man fled inside the station. When police arrived, they reported finding the black magnetic key hidden inside a Ritz cracker box on a shelf stocked.

Police recovered the key, and seized $335 in cash and two purple vials containing rocklike substances that Boulware "had in his possession," police said.

Police say they are investigating other gas-pilfering schemes at as many as eight other stations.

"He had a lot of customers," Okondu said.

source

HomeLAN

I still maintain that that sort of bullshit is less widespread than a lot of folks would have you believe. While that's particularly true in the eeeeeeevil world of business, it's true in general as well.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
A certain amount if risk is both inevitable and acceptable. It's determining where the line is that's the art.

Absolutely. At 40-something, I have 80% of my (albeit) few investments in high-risk stuff, looking for a larger payoff. If my investments hit half a mill, I'm selling. Hell, if my investments hit 100k I'm selling. When your net worth is doubled, tripled, quadrupled, on paper, take the money & run. I'm talking to & about people who live in normal situations, not Warren Buffet (who sells at 1% of his net worth).

I'm all for making money but common sense has to ride shotgun. Losing $10k sucks. Losing $1M is stupid.

HomeLAN

Gonz said:
If my investments hit half a mill, I'm selling. Hell, if my investments hit 100k I'm selling.

Sorry, but that's a silly statement. If the companies involved and market conditions remain positive, it's idiocy to sell performing investments because the total value has hit an arbitrary number. Got analysis to back up that 100k figure? Different story. You don't? Reconsider just how smart you're being.

Winky

Dat's Right, no one put a gun to anyone's head and made 'em
buy Enron or work there or nuthin'

the crime is in brining these guys to trial

oh well

at least we all continue to benefit from the internet stock craze
the silly folks that bought worthless stock in fictional companies
financed the infrastructure build-out
so we can surf the internet that Algore built

and the beat goes on, on, on, on

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
If the companies involved and market conditions remain positive, it's idiocy to sell performing investments because the total value has hit an arbitrary number.

Enron. For starters.

I watched & listened to otherwise perfectly rational people (experts & others) on the tube, on the radio, in real life (to a lesser extent) actually buy into the notion that the technology market was changing the way we do business & we'd never again have to worry about losing money. For years I witnessed madness. Many made money. Many lost money. The losers were the greedy & the unobservant.

Pick a goal. Get your money to that goal. Sell. At that point you can choose to set a new goal. If you ride a bull market it, inevitably, will turn bearish. If I had a tidy stash to get thru troubled times with, I may be more likely to ride the rough times out. Since I don't, I'm interested in having enough to never rely on another.