ever felt like......

Scanty

Yeah. When you get so into your own way of thinking that you lose touch with reality and the expectations of the world. Then you start acting in a way that other people find a little strange just cos you're not sure what you're supposed to be thinking or feeling anymore.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Scanty said:
Yeah. When you get so into your own way of thinking that you lose touch with reality and the expectations of the world. Then you start acting in a way that other people find a little strange just cos you're not sure what you're supposed to be thinking or feeling anymore.

There is no such thing as reality. We only deal in perceptions. ;)

greenfreak

Yup, actually I know exactly what you're talking about Luis. You've got to find out what works to get you 'back on track'.

Time off usually helps me. Even if I don't spend that time off thinking about it. Actually, maybe that's why it works-because I don't spend more time thinking. I took a whole day off of work last week to get back on track and it worked. (don't ask) :)

Scanty

Gato_Solo said:
Scanty said:

There is no such thing as reality. We only deal in perceptions. ;)

Are you refering to my post in the Good/Evil thread?
If you're not, then I know we only deal in perceptions. That's kind of a given for me but if I go around just saying 'oh it doesn't matter, nothing's true, nothing's false etc etc' then I'd never be able to contribute to anything! :D
'Reality' I meant as the world that we live in and the perceptions/expectations society has built for itself - however subjective.
:p ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Nope. This has nothing to do with Good and Evil. I've already established the 'base-line' on that. "I am good, everyone else is evil". Makes lifes perceptions much easier to deal with.

That said...people are creatures of habit. Good, bad, or indifferent, we are shaped by our experiences (perceptions), and act accordingly until something comes along to shatter our illusions. Sometimes your job is the brick, and sometimes your job is the illusion. Most times, however, we don't put ourselves in those types of situations. It's much easier to stick with our 'tried and true', than to risk our sanity on changing our perceptions with that brick.

For example...

The end of my street once ended on the perimeter road leading straight into the Air Force base where I work. It took me only 15 minutes to get to work. Since September 11, 2001, that road has been blocked off...However, the road which runs parallel to the base perimeter has remained open. There is a stop sign on the end of that parallel road. Nothing can enter into your lane as you turn right. Why does everyone still stop there? The road doesn't continue further on, and you can't get hit when you turn, so why does a person stop?

Another...

I have 2 cars. A 1988 Audi 90 Quattro (5 speed), and a 1998 Chrysler Sebring (Automatic). Why do I put my hand on the shift knob in the Chrysler? I catch myself doing it from time to time, but it still happens. There's no clutch in the Chrysler that I can access...

Scanty

I meant the good/evil post where I mentioned perceptions. I thought you might have been refering to that and reminding me what I said.

I think humans are also lazy as well as habitual. Like the cognitive-miser idea. Rather than bothering to challenge what instinct tells them to do (i.e. your example of stopping at the end of the road) they just stop and look anyway because it easier than making an actual mental effort. It probably also provides some sort of satisfaction and, in a conditioning sort of way, gets them into the habit of doing it all the time.
:)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
We are but mindless drones. Lest we forget, our purpose on this planet is to provide the trees with carbon dioxide.

Scanty

PuterTutor said:
We are but mindless drones. Lest we forget, our purpose on this planet is to provide the trees with carbon dioxide.

:D

The optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
And the pessimist fears this is true.

freako104

no cause im too damn empathetic so i feel too much of others emotions although i know what i feel(and usually try to hide it so i can be sensitive to the others.) and as far as reality i dont know what is and what isnt. i dont know if humans exsist.(ill probly get harassed for that one). its the idea were only a dream. ok thats it no more beef jerky soda and weird movies before bed from now on. gets me thiniing about this too much. ow my hed.