Family Holidays...god help me

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Well it's Rosh Hashana tomorrow night, and the WHOLE family is getting together, all 30 plus of us, and I am already getting the queasy feeling in my stomach.

where to start? Well the one reason we all put up with each other 3 times a year is my Grandmother, very cool lady, but this year she is in the hospital, so she won't be there to keep us all civil to each other.

And my aunt the bitch is now not talking to my mother or her boyfriend (well no loss there, within 5 minutes of me showing up she won't be talking to me neither).

Then there are my 9 younger cousins....

One is In calgary, so she will nto be attending (lucky bitch)
next oldest is a whinny little brat, with no social skills
next is a cool redhead, but they never sit us near each other
Then the...well i won't use bad language, but lets just say she shares her affections freely
then there is another cool one that will be much better is she moves out, and if she actually called me like she says EVERY holiday

then the boys

the comidian
the reserved jock
the pretty boy
and the dope fiend

Then there is me "the quiet serial killer, black sheep one"
my sister "Miss Manners"

my 2 nephews Bratty and brattier

of course my wife "the catholic" (why isn't she readig from the book???)
my brother in law (he doesn't get a nickname)

imagine all these peopel with my mom her boyfriend 3 aunts 3 uncles all very loud opinionated people in a small room drinking wine by the gallon (it's what we do to prevent us from killing each other).

add in the worm.

us: "how are you"
the worm: "well my prostrate..."
us: *running away

This is what I have to deal with Wednesday night, it's not pretty, and gets messy, but we have to love our families right?

right?

Any horror stories out there? I know mine is tame, but I have to live it, so It's a nightmare to me.

No, fortunately for me I have a very small family. There is my Mom, two brothers. That's pretty well it. I have one brother that is super successful, the other brother is gay and my Mom likes to repeat herself often. Very often.

PuterTutor said:
No, fortunately for me I have a very small family. There is my Mom, two brothers. That's pretty well it. I have one brother that is super successful, the other brother is gay and my Mom likes to repeat herself often. Very often.

"why couldn't you be more like your brother, he makes me so proud, and you I am ashamed of!! why couldn't you more like him? Fine you like women, but did you have to be a lawyer?"

paul_valaru said:
"why couldn't you be more like your brother, he makes me so proud, and you I am ashamed of!! why couldn't you more like him? Fine you like women, but did you have to be a lawyer?"
Yup yup. That times 50 and you have a normal weekend at mothers. But, she gets high, so it's all good....

I got lucky. I have a big family, but the vast majority of us are human beings. We tend to end up eating like pigs, drinking beer, and catching up.

PuterTutor said:
Yup yup. That times 50 and you have a normal weekend at mothers. But, she gets high, so it's all good....

oh I forgot, at some point everyone goes out for a joint

My sympathies :(

*lived for four years with a jewish lass......had to do the whole thing as "non-jew boyfriend of prize daughter that nobody liked"*

I lasted until about the third course when I made me gob go and was asked to leave the table :blush:

Closest I get to a family reunion was Bish's BBQ. All my kin are 3000+ miles away, and lousy swimmers at best.

Oz said:
My sympathies :(

*lived for four years with a jewish lass......had to do the whole thing as "non-jew boyfriend of prize daughter that nobody liked"*

I lasted until about the third course when I made me gob go and was asked to leave the table :blush:

hehe I know the feeling I dated this catholic girl.......

wow...seems like it was just rosh hashanah and we were discussing the same predicament...sorry for the upcoming er...festivities but happy rosh hasanah.

Happy New Year Paul...

Remeber...we might not be as neurotic as the rest of your family...but we're trying :D

chcr said:
Erm... don't you mean shikse?????
*peepwall*

Happy Rosh Hashanah.

Yeh, and he ended up marrying the Shiksa! Imagine how I feel, being the only catholic amongst a crazy bunch of jews. They don't even think about the fact that there is a non jew in the midst.

If I had the choice, I wouldn't go. Although, I'm just looking forward to one day his bitch of an aunt saying something to me and I can tell her to fuck off! I hope that happens tonight!

tonksy said:
but...there will be noodle kugel...right? that's worth a buncha yentas all evening. :licklips:

Don't know if there will be any kugel. Grandma usually makes some. The others are just too lazy. I don't like the stuff too much. I can live with the apple/noodle kugel.

Luckily, my family gatherings are generally quite civil. In fact, they're often a great time with lots of fun and laughter to be had at all. The sad part is that it's looking like the head chair will pretty soon be empty. Grandpapa's time appears to be very limited... as in, we're hoping for more than a few days. He's had terminal cancer for a while, and the medicines were ruining his quality of life while not doing the job they were supposed to. Well, now his kidneys are going.

The outings with Brandi's family were... well, some of them were a little hairy. They must have wanted to impress me, though, since the fistfights always seemed to happen when I was away.

Back