Feds: Man Planned to Blow Up Ill. Mall

No, no... wasn't thinking about the rank and file in the field. I'm thinking more of the educational side of things.

We have a few private schools for younger kids (7-12) run in the pure military academy style. For half it is because it is a challenging enviornment, for the rest it is punishment and isolation for yobs. Older kids (13-17) also have a private military academy system available that is strictly for the military career minded or academic elite in realms of math and engineering. That was a route my dad took. A good many of the public high schools (13-17) have an affiliation to one of the military branches. In my personal case, my high school had an Air Force JROTC unit. It was one class a day like anything else we took and we wore the uniform on tuesdays. If you stayed in through all four years it amounted to 2 years of elective credit, 1 year of history/social sci credit, 1 pure sci credit, and exemption from the physical education requirement. Also, at the completion of three years, one was eligible for instant and faster promotions within the service if one joined the NCO ranks. Instead of going in as a private, one could be an E-4 instead of an E-1 (which translates to OR-4 cpl instead of an OR-2 private for you).

If you went to a college ROTC or an outright military college, then one would be obligated to serve one term of active duty after completing their third year as a junior officer.

Back