File transfer 98SE to XP

MrBishop

Ok...So I'm trying to transfer files from an old 98SE syttem to a brand new Dell XP2300 system. Easy right? Nope.

Old comp doesn't have a CDR...Ok, so I try to lin the two machines through their LPT1 ports. Establish a network and just shift the files over. On the old machine, i set up file sharing and printer sharing... on XP, I set up a network across LPT ports... but XP insits on 'logging in' to the other machine. The 98 machine doesn't have a login, therefore the XP machine hangs...and waits, then tries to redial etc etc... :(

OK...I have a portable ZIP100 drive... try to set that one up on the old machine...OOPS, it's SCSI drive but not a SCSI port...no luck.

I'm trying to load a CDRW onto the old machine to burn the files and sneakerware them over... so far, the dsrivers are there but Win(*SE isn't recognizing the new Hardware.

I don't know what to do anymore.
Suggestions?

do you have ethernet for the 98 machine?
Guessing not. I'd look for a cheap card, or borrow one. ;)

The combover gots yer solution
C'Mon dood it's the 21st century jeez

cross.JPG

No USB available on the old machine. If it had USB, I'd use my MP3 player/flash drive.
No NIC card either...

chcr...I didn't go that route. Bloody thing wasn't detected at all... as if it didn't exist.

If worst comes to worst, I could always copy all files to floppy and walk it over to somewhere where I can burn the lot onto a CDRom and walk it back. Nwe machine doesn't even have a floppy...bloody Dell!

Winky said:
The combover gots yer solution
C'Mon dood it's the 21st century jeez
Yeah...I'm trying to build a lear jet with a toothpick here, though. Draggin my mum-in-law into said 21st century.

I can DL some things...but the old machine's on 56k only...so no email everything and retrieve on new machine...it'd fkin take ages!

Pull drive from old machine,

Insert drive in new machine,

Copy files from old drive to new drive,

Done.

PostCode said:
Pull drive from old machine,

Insert drive in new machine,

Copy files from old drive to new drive,

Done.

Yep .that would by and far be the easiest ,assuming the old drive doesn't use a drive overlay utility ,such as EZ-Drive.

I had thought about slaving the old drive onto the new machine...what worries me is the Dell warranty and what happens to it after I crack open their machine to install the new drive. :shrug:

I've also considered dragging the old HD to my machine at home, removing my 40GB slaved drive and loading this drive instead..burning it at home etc..

I was hoping for a hint as to what I might've missed...like, do I neen a certain software to use the bidirectional cable from LPT to LPT ?

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Much appreciated!

Check the case. I've yet to see a Dell with a warranty sticker on it. In fact most manufacturers are doing away with this because of the need for onsite service calls. No sticker then it's ok to do.

MrBishop said:
I was hoping for a hint as to what I might've missed...like, do I neen a certain software to use the bidirectional cable from LPT to LPT ?

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Much appreciated!
I did do a lpt transfer several years back.
I think you need a "null modem" cabling setup.

oh, yeah, that may have been a 25pin com port I was working on
where I needed the null modem. :confused:

I use PCAnywhere sometimes. Going to have to get the latest version to be compatible with XP though.

Bish, just yard the drive outta the old box, stuff it in the new one , and transfer the files. Maybe 30 minutes tops for everything.

Back