First Aid Certification

If it's paid, yeah maybe you have to be 18. We have a lot of volunteer organizations in NY, and more specifically Long Island. Apparently it's not as popular in other states.

Update

I'm signed up for the course Sept.12-23 8:30 a.m.-430p.m. (there's an 8:30 "a.m.":shrug: ),so I may be not be posting during that time and since I can pick up my books now I have 2 mnths to familiarize myself with the material.I'm afraid I was a little off with my previous description of the course here is what it entails.

OCCUPATIONAL FIRST AID LEVEL 3

A course developed by the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) of British Columbia.

The course consists of 20 lessons involving a minimum of 70 hours of classroom study and practice. For each lesson there is specific homework and students should be prepared to spend a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hours of at home study per lesson.

Students are required to provide a medical certificate of fitness from a physician o a form provided by the WCB and every two years thereafter on renewal. The completed medical certificate of fitness should be handed in to the WCB prior to the examination.

To qualify for Level III training and subsequent certification, a person must be at least 16 years old and have the physical ability to perform first aid skills required to complete the learning tasks. Students will also be required to show one piece of acceptable photographic identification to the examining First Aid Officer at the time of exam.

Instructional Objectives and Lesson Content

Each participant will be able to:

* Perform the priority action approach to the end of the secondary survey for conscious non-RTC patients and for patients in the first aid room.
* Assess, manage and identify the need for medical aid referral and complete documentation for soft tissue injuries.
* Move patients to the supine position from either a standing or sitting position with C-spine control. Each candidate will have an awareness of critical incident stress and its impact on first aid attendants.
* Prepare patients for rapid transport in the supine position taking not longer than 15 minutes from the approach to the patient.
* Perform the priority action approach to the end of the secondary survey for patients with a decreased level of consciousness. Each participant will assist in preparing patients for rapid transport in the lateral position and be able to move patients to the supine position maintaining C-spine control from the prone position.
* Identify and manage critical interventions of the airway with C-spine control for conscious patients and patients with a decreased level of consciousness. Participants will be able to demonstrate the use of suction equipment.
* Identify respiratory emergencies and manage critical interventions.
* Identify circulatory emergencies and manage critical interventions.
* Identify and manage head, brain and spinal injuries.
* Identify and manage pelvic and abdominal injuries and diabetic conditions.
* Identify and manage upper limb fractures and dislocations, injuries to lower limbs, asthmatic conditions and environmental emergencies.
* Identify common communicable diseases, routes of transmission and prevention of infection in particular of bloodbourne pathogens.
* Describe the key factors in multiple casualty management, methods of transportation for injured workers and factors used to make transportation decisions. Each candidate will identify and describe management of occupational dermatitis.
* Describe the general classifications of poisons and describe the priority action approach for poisoning and substance abuse.

Level III certification requires completion of the examination process conducted by an Officer of the Workers’ Compensation Board. Successful completion of the examination process means that a candidate must achieve a grade of 70% on each of the written, oral and practical portions of the examination. A Level III certificate is valid for two years from the date of the examination

Since I just turned 40 ,I'm realllyyyy (sarcasm) looking forward to the physical.

So basically this is a requirement placed on Costco
to comply with British (Columbian) Workers Comp laws?

Aw WTF knowin' what to do if the Islamo-nutjobs ever
blow yer customers up, is all good!

Personally I don't like people enough to help random
bleeding and broken strangers.

How many other folks at your store have this?

Guess they:
A. Figger you'll be there awhile and
B. Realize that you are a 'mature' (i.e. old guy) individual heh heh

Man if some pimply-faced nineteen year-old store employee came at me
while I needed first aid I smack em’!

Sounds like NY's equivalent to what used to be called a "Certified First Responder". I don't know what it's called now, it's been a while. It's a step above standard first aid (you need to know much more about anatomy and physiology, signs and symptoms of ailments) but a step below an EMT (they get to deliver babies and pronounce people dead).

Sounds like you're gonna have some fun. :)

Took the equivalent certification a few years back when I was working in the hotel biz. Re-certified 2 years later and then kinda let it drop...I'd stopped working there since then and it ain't cheap.

Done the baby-CPR and first aid courses though. Very useful skills to have handy, even if you don't use them at work.

tonksy said:
i had something like that in the military...'course it was more about combat wounds instead of birthing babies....but at least i'm a handy chic to have around if you have a sucking chest wound or a broken bone.

SABC is practically useless in the civilian world, tonks. It's kind of like CW. :lol2:

Back