First smoking, and now over-indulging on snacks...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Now...If you go to a club that allows smoking, does that give you the right to tell everyone to put out their smokes? No, it does not. No more than I have the right to tell someone overweight when to leave a restaurant. In an area where there are mostly non-smokers, then, yes, by all means, express yourself politely, and I'm sure most folks will be polite and put their smokes out. If a non-smoker walks into a bar full of smokers, then, if he/she doesn't like smoke, he/she is free to leave.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
Now...If you go to a club that allows smoking, does that give you the right to tell everyone to put out their smokes? No, it does not. No more than I have the right to tell someone overweight when to leave a restaurant. In an area where there are mostly non-smokers, then, yes, by all means, express yourself politely, and I'm sure most folks will be polite and put their smokes out. If a non-smoker walks into a bar full of smokers, then, if he/she doesn't like smoke, he/she is free to leave.

I agree.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I'm a smoker, I only smoke in the smoking section when I'm at a restaurant, if I'm waiting for the bus, I have a smoke, but not in line, that way nobody has to stand next to me, if they don't wwant to smell smoke.

It's courtesy.

The same is expected to be returned.

Meaning, yes I know it's bad for you, but you don't need to tell me, beleive me I know.

Rose

I mostly agree with what Gato said.

Something that irks me ... is when there's one smoker in the group insisting on sitting in the smoking section of a restaraunt. Whether it's one on one or one with a group, I find it extremely rude to request this. And I'm sure to let the person I'm with know. (sorry, this stems from eating lunch with a coworker for a year one-on-one she knowing that i recently quit smoking, but knowing she had the upper hand and would smoke a MINIMUM of 7 cigarettes over a lunch period. i no longer eat with her, but she is still inconsiderate enough to do that with the people she now has lunch with). :cuss:

Sorry, don't know where that came from.

Know what I think should be illegal? And this pisses me off almost as much as people who don't know how to properly use turn signals --- seeing children in smoking sections of restaurants. Children don't have a choice. I'd like to smack the parents (grandparents, whoever the child is with) and then smack the restaurant owner. Oh yeah, there'd be a lot of smackin' going on.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Rose said:
I mostly agree with what Gato said.

Something that irks me ... is when there's one smoker in the group insisting on sitting in the smoking section of a restaraunt. Whether it's one on one or one with a group, I find it extremely rude to request this. And I'm sure to let the person I'm with know. (sorry, this stems from eating lunch with a coworker for a year one-on-one she knowing that i recently quit smoking, but knowing she had the upper hand and would smoke a MINIMUM of 7 cigarettes over a lunch period. i no longer eat with her, but she is still inconsiderate enough to do that with the people she now has lunch with). :cuss:

I am willing to sit int he non-smoking section, I can go without a smoke for a while, or I can walk toe thebar section of the restaurant if I need one, when I am with non-smokers, non-smoking section is fine.

MrBishop

The best part about second-hand smoke is that the person smoking next to you had the common courtesy of filtering the smoke both through that little bit of cotton AND their lungs before you get to inhale it yourself.

If you're willing to drink your own urine and filter it a second time through your stomach and kidneys before urinating on me...I don't mind one bit.

Any takers?

Cheese

MrBishop said:
The best part about second-hand smoke is that the person smoking next to you had the common courtesy of filtering the smoke both through that little bit of cotton AND their lungs before you get to inhale it yourself.

If you're willing to drink your own urine and filter it a second time through your stomach and kidneys before urinating on me...I don't mind one bit.

Any takers?

WHat about the smoke that comes off the end of the cigarette that doesn't pass through the cotton filter?

Bungi

Gato_Solo said:

In the smoking section, fine... puff away, but in other public areas it really annoys me, and no Gato, the majority of people are not polite, and nor will they put their smokes out.

MrBishop

Cheese said:
WHat about the smoke that comes off the end of the cigarette that doesn't pass through the cotton filter?

I think that gato said it best, but here it goes again.

YOu get more carcinogens from a rush-hour drive in to work than you do by spending the same amount of time in a smoky bar. The little bit that comes off the tip of a cigarette or that is exhaled from the people around you are minimally dangerous..if at all.

Consider it this way. During one week, you are likely to inahale second-hand smoke a few times. This is a small percentage of what one cigarette gives off. If a person smokes 1 pack a day, every day for 30 years..they run the chance of getting cancer. It would take you close to 12-40 times (depending on your weekly exposure) as much time to get that amount of exposure from second-hand smoke. You can go through this for 200years an not get cancer!

Bungi

MrBishop said:
I think that gato said it best, but here it goes again.

YOu get more carcinogens from a rush-hour drive in to work than you do by spending the same amount of time in a smoky bar. The little bit that comes off the tip of a cigarette or that is exhaled from the people around you are minimally dangerous..if at all.

Consider it this way. During one week, you are likely to inahale second-hand smoke a few times. This is a small percentage of what one cigarette gives off. If a person smokes 1 pack a day, every day for 30 years..they run the chance of getting cancer. It would take you close to 12-40 times (depending on your weekly exposure) as much time to get that amount of exposure from second-hand smoke. You can go through this for 200years an not get cancer!

The difference being i dont drive to work or school, I walk and catch an electric train... but i still get exposed to smoke. I don't like smoke, health risk or not it makes me cough and the smell is godawful... if you want to smoke do it in smoking areas, and stay the hell away from me.

Gato_Solo

Bungi said:
In the smoking section, fine... puff away, but in other public areas it really annoys me, and no Gato, the majority of people are not polite, and nor will they put their smokes out.

That's because the majority of people who ask me to put my smokes out aren't polite, either. I've never had anyone say to me that "Excuse me, but your cigarette smoke is bothering me. Could you please put it out?" It's always either a threat, or a whine about how my smoking will kill them. :rolleyes:

Gato_Solo

Bungi said:
The difference being i dont drive to work or school, I walk and catch an electric train... but i still get exposed to smoke. I don't like smoke, health risk or not it makes me cough and the smell is godawful... if you want to smoke do it in smoking areas, and stay the hell away from me.

That's what I'm talking about. You re-read your last six words and you'll understand why I say that non-smokers are impolite in how they ask a smoker to put out a cigarette.

BTW...even walking, or taking an electric train, you breathe in the same crud from traffic. Nice try. ;)

Rose

Gato_Solo said:
BTW...even walking, or taking an electric train, you breathe in the same crud from traffic. Nice try. ;)

But see, breathing in traffic 'crud' is bad for one's health - but it isn't the same as second-hand smoke in that manytimes traffic crud can't be tasted or smelled. Not nearly as much as second-hand smoke.

Now, I've smoked for several years (4 I believe, perhaps off and on for a total of 6). I know it isn't much, and I don't smoke cigarettes to this day. But second-hand smoke will gag me quicker than anything. Talk about choking up and coughing. :sick:

I guess I'm saying that while you do make a point, Gato, about traffic fumes and air pollution and whatnot, it's mostly the immediate effects of smoking that bother most non-smokers.

Still doesn't give anyone the right to be rude, though - nonsmoker or smoker. :nod:

MrBishop

Oh...don't get me wrong. I understand that people dislike the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke, over and above their health concerns. I make it a point to NOT smoke indoors. I don't smoke in restaurants because smoke travels, I don't smoke in my home, I don't smoke in my car or other people's cars/houses etc... I will smoke in bars and coffee-houses where smoking is the par.

I will butt-out if someone asks me to...or around kids or pregnant women whether they ask me to or not.

I will not butt out outdoors if someone is being rude...especially if I was there first. If I'm smoking peaceably outdoors and someone joins me on the bench/fountain-side/sidewalk, and THEN ask me to stop smoking...my point will be ..."If you saw me smoking and came over anyway, why are you complaining?"

Being a smoker should not make me an automatic social pariah

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
MrBishop said:
Oh...don't get me wrong. I understand that people dislike the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke, over and above their health concerns. I make it a point to NOT smoke indoors. I don't smoke in restaurants because smoke travels, I don't smoke in my home, I don't smoke in my car or other people's cars/houses etc... I will smoke in bars and coffee-houses where smoking is the par.

I will butt-out if someone asks me to...or around kids or pregnant women whether they ask me to or not.

I will not butt out outdoors if someone is being rude...especially if I was there first. If I'm smoking peaceably outdoors and someone joins me on the bench/fountain-side/sidewalk, and THEN ask me to stop smoking...my point will be ..."If you saw me smoking and came over anyway, why are you complaining?"

Being a smoker should not make me an automatic social pariah

yupyup