Florida's new quarters

Q

These new ones are supposed to be really hard to counterfeit. Personally, if I were going to do that I'd just make a shiload of 5's and 10's...nobody even looks at them.

Jeslek

Banned
dan said:
don't you get confused with having all the dollar bills the same size? they should make the things so it's a bit easier to tell them apart from each other
No. I've used either system... with different sizes and same sizes. And err... it doesn't matter once you get used to a particular country's bills. Now color makes a bit of a difference, but I like American currency because it is so unique and has been like that for a very, very long time. :)

I also collect coins, and also bills. I've got a lot of both... Been collecting them since I was 7 or so as a way of remembering which countries I've visited etc. I will scan some in later on when I have time.

Jeslek

Banned
Luis G said:
i've tried scanning bills, the scanned image is just plain wrong.
I've scanned a lot of money and don't have any problems.

One reason why American money are all the same size is because it is easier to bundle... Its a pain to bundle money together that are all different sizes. lol.

And our money is getting a little bit of color soon. On the $20 bill.

greenfreak

We should start a trade of money from the people on this board. I'd love to get some foreign currency.

I just started keeping one of each state quarter as they were introduced. They're not in mint condition or anything, I just felt like collecting them as I got them.

I have pennies from significant birth years somewhere, don't know where I put them. When Rusty and I went away last summer, we found a shop that had a bunch of coins in a box on the sidewalk. The idea was to pick a bunch of them for a dollar or something. The only thing was, they were in open sun, 95 degree heat, and they were too hot to touch. I don't think they sold many that day. :tardbang:

I can't wait till they open up the Philly mint again for tours. Ever since I saw a show about it on Discovery, I've wanted to go there.

Jeslek

Banned
Hmm, I need American currency. I have a set of 1999 Swiss coins (proof condition), a set of 1997 Thai coins (uncirculated condition), some proof gold and silver coins, and some proof coins from China.

If anyone wants Canadian currency, I can create a package...

one penny, one nickel, one dime, one quarter, one loony, and one toony (coins)

one $5 bill, one $10 bill, one $20 bill, one $50 bill, ... up to where you want.

Cost is the money itself + shipping. :)

dan

yeah, i'm sure you do get used to it :)

actually, the thing i found weirdest was $1 bills... heh, being able to put paper money into coke machines - weird!

dan

£5 notes (~US$8)

coins, we have 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2

notes, £5, £10, £20, and £50 (although you don't often see 50's)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Jerrek said:
Luis G said:
i've tried scanning bills, the scanned image is just plain wrong.
I've scanned a lot of money and don't have any problems.

Try it with mexican money, the bills have some sort of reflectant that can be seen with black light, and it also fools the scanners. I'll post a pic of that later.

Jeslek

Banned
OK hmm, you don't have quarters? Weird. And a 2p? hehe...

Canada

Coints: 1¢ (penny), 5¢ (nickel), 10¢ (dime), 25¢ (quarter), $1 (loony), $2 toony

Bills: $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $1,000

Canada has two series of bank bills at the moment. The most recent one (2001) has only been applied to the $5 and $10 bill:

Front:
2000_05f.gif

Back: (hey, we're the best in the world in hockey!)
2000_05b.gif

Front:
2000_10f.gif

Back:
2000_10b.gif

The 1986 - 2001 series:

$1000 front:
1287a.gif

$1000 back:
1287b.gif

The rest look similarly, only differing in color. See http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/general/character/1986.htm

United States

Coin: 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, and special $1

Bills: $1, $2 (rare), $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 (I think you get bigger)

Q

alex said:
But we do put brail symbols on the drive thru ATM machines :confuse3:
Very handy, for that occasional blind driver.

Actually, I think we have quite a few of those down here.:D

Jeslek

Banned
odd. I will take some pictures of the money I have. But I need to go home for that... Maybe next weekend :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Jerrek said:
odd. I will take some pictures of the money I have. But I need to go home for that... Maybe next weekend :)

False money was an issue a few years ago, you'd be surprised about all the features the bills have.

Q

I like it just fine. I never see it long enough to get a good look at it anywy:eh: