Foot in own mouth, now I own 2 cell phones

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
After years of criticizing people for having more then 1 cell phone "I finally joined" the crowd. As many of you know, my girl lives far away, so calling her is rather expensive, until I found about this company that let's you speak 30 minutes of long distance for 0.50. The problem, is every phonecall I make costs me that (even local), so I kept my other cellphone which charges 0.10 per minute on local calls.

2 cellphones is madness!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm curious. Why text on a cell phone? The KB is so small that by the time you get done, you may as well have called. Plus, it costs extra to type really small.

Inkara1

Well, for one thing, you can put the phone on vibrate and send texts at times when you need to be quiet. It's also less intrusive at restaurants and the like. And as for the keyboard being small... you get used to that and it gets a lot faster. It's never as fast as typing on a regular keyboard... but T9 word is your friend.

Aunty Em

I've got 2 cellphones... 1 for local/national calls, 1 for international... both are prepay "pay as you go". I spend about £10 a month on each. My local cell is just for emergencies, for me to let people know if I'm going to be held up, or for them to call, or more often, text me... I make most of my calls on my landline.

Luis G

Staff member
It is cheaper to send an SMS than making a phonecall, and sometimes all I send is a "Good morning my love" and that's it.

POStech

I must confess, i love text messaging. I too will soon be one of these people with two phones. I have a mike (nextel walkie talkie for you Americans) for work and soon the wife wants a crackberry so I'll be taking here Moto razr. Although I'll have to buy replacement covers as I don't my phone in the hot pink cover!

Luis G

Staff member
You both don't have it, I take it? My son uses it to talk to his wife who is still in the Philipines.

She doesn't have broadband. But anyway, it is nice to call her or being called even when we're not online. Once she gets broadband I think we'll use the video call from msn instead of skype.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I text message SOOOOO MUCH! I need to change my cellphone plan, my bill this month is going to be SCARY!

Starya

I don't message much, and call even less. I hate talking on the phone, so I'd rather send a message and thus spare me the small talk. The person I call the most is the Critter. Like, if I've gone to bed and I hear him playing guitar in his room, I call and tell him to shut up and go to bed. :) (If I can hear it, so can the neighbours..) But I call him for free.

He used to have a pre-paid phone, but not anymore. He never makes calls, but the messaging? Woah. He's kept it on an acceptable level, but this last month.. Hm, can't wait to see the bill. (There's this girl...)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Not that I've heard. It's always "just around the corner."

Have you, or your son, written a Senator/Representative on her behalf? If you have, and you've gotten the 'runaround' you can always make a copy of your letter, and send it to the local press for publication. Nothing hurts more than an angry voter except for an angry voter in print. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
We've been told not to. :shrug:

Yes, it does make me wonder what's really going on, but it's not my life.