Foreign Films?

mondomondo

Anyone else here into foreign films at all? Lately, I've found myself actively seeking them out.

(Let's see if this is the shortest-lived OTC thread ever.)

tonksy

Run, Lola, run was good....Like water for chocolate....wait! Does monty Python count? They's furren.

mondomondo

Admit it ... did you watch "Run Lola Run" subtitled or dubbed?

Foreign (language) films get ignored so much in the States. Seems most Americans can't grasp the concept of subtitles.

mondomondo

Starya said:
Mostly American ones

I think of American culture as the ".com" of entertainment. It's so ubiquitous that there's really nothing that makes it stand out. No matter where you go in the world, you can turn on the radio and chances are you're going to hear something American. (Then of course, there's the Toby Keiths of the world ... but I'd just as soon overlook that kind of "distinctively American".)

The kind of movie that I think of as an "American Foreign Film" would be something like Ghost World. Something that shows the kind of America that's really unique and interesting.

unclehobart

Subtitled. I can't stand dubs. It makes everything look like a bad martial arts movie.

Seven Samurai and the like are my bread and butter. Haven't seen too many modern foreign films outside of some mainstream English ones.

tonksy

I'm glad rob answered because I honestly couldn't remember if i "read that movie" or not....does Das Boot count?

mondomondo

There's one I haven't seen yet - mostly because I'm still trying to find the extremely long, miniseries-length version.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm much like starya, most films are foreign to me. But within the context of the thread I suggest you to watch:
- mar adentro
- amores perros
- la marche de l'empereur
- les riveres pourpres
- y tu mamá también
- diarios de motocicleta

Or just attend to some international cinema festival (are common here but who knows if you have them where you live).

nalani

"The Scent of Green Papaya" is lovely as is "The Pillow Book" (fyi, full frontal nudity male and female ... fair warning), but one of my favorites is "King of Masks".

I love foreign films ...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Does Monty Python count? [edit]Sorry Tonnks, I see we're on th esame wavelength [/edit]

Oh I know, How about Mad Max...it's been awhile but it was Australian

BeardofPants

unclehobart said:
Subtitled. I can't stand dubs. It makes everything look like a bad martial arts movie.
Agreed.
I watch about half non-foreign to half foreign. I vary between asian (anime, live action, etc), to european (french, italian, etc). My favourites are Akira, Red/Blue/White, Spirited Away, Prince Mononoke, La Dolce Vita, City of God, Tokyo Godfathers, Jean de Florette & Manon Des Sources... oh, and there was this nifty lil' european cartoon that was made recently that I can't remember the title to....

greenfreak

Don't forget about Life is Beautiful. I prefer the subtitled version, no one can do his voice like he can. Dubbed is just painful.

When Rusty and I first met, he tried to impress me by taking me to a french foreign movie called "Tirez sur le pianiste" ("Shoot the Piano Player"). Ugh. It was bad bad BAD.

- y tu mamá también
- diarios de motocicleta
These are two movies I've been meaning to see.

ekahs retsam

unclehobart said:

Seven Samurai and the like are my bread and butter. Haven't seen too many modern foreign films outside of some mainstream English ones.

See i'm, I'm exactly the opposite. I get tired of reading and I sometimes I feel that I might be missing small details because i'm focused on reading the dialog.

Starya

When you get used to it, you read it so fast you barely even notice you're reading it.

My only problem is when the subs are messed up. "Oh geez, they got it wrong again.."

mondomondo

I dislike when DVD companies get lazy and use the text from "closed captioning for the deaf" as subtitles. Those are wrong so much of the time.

Starya

Starya said:
When you get used to it, you read it so fast you barely even notice you're reading it.

My only problem is when the subs are messed up. "Oh geez, they got it wrong again.."
Heh, I found some examples of foul ups, but I guess thay are more entertaining for me than any of you. With the Norwegian and all... :lloyd:

I'm gonna try translating some translated bloopers just to se how that works out..

"This is your father's light sabre"
*Translation: This is your father's light [as in: not heavy] sabre.

"I would neuter you"
* I would neutralize you.

"A man with homocidal tendensies"
*A man with homosexual tendencies.

"There is nothing left"
* There is nothing to the left.

And then there is the old tale of the ski jumper who was asked by some English speaking people how he was able to jump so far:
"Vell, først ju have tu start vith a big fart..." :p