France bans religious paraphanelia in schools and hospitals

They've already gotten most of France.

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com
Responding to France's ban on the Islamic veil, the new head of the Muslim Brotherhood asserted Islam ultimately will triumph over the United States and Europe.

"I have complete faith that Islam will invade Europe and America, because Islam has logic and a mission," said Muhammad Mahdi Othman 'Akef, who recently took over the Egyptian-based movement after the death of leader Mamoun Al-Hudhaybi.

WND

Must be a friend of Squiggys
"These are [futile] words and false propaganda," he said. "It is not logical that the U.S. – which destroyed Afghanistan, supports Israel's daily ongoing aggression against the Palestinian people and occupies Iraq and steals its treasures – is acting to spread democracy in the Arab world."

Japan was convinced we were there to rape & pillage too :rolleyes:

chcr said:
I wonder if this isn't the inevitable backlash of this latest round of islamic terrorism. Unfortunate that it doesn't really affect the terrorists, but these knee-jerk reactions are pretty typical of people everywhere.

It also doesn't only affect the so-called Islamic terrorists, but also other religions that do not follow the doctrines of Christianity/Judaism (who, face it pray to the same God).....what this does is insult anyone ho do not believe that the Christian God is the only one. They are (in a very underhanded way) encouraging montheism - how very Victorian of them. Next thing we know they'll bring out the trusty ol' guillotine again & start chopping heads ;)

AlphaTroll said:
It also doesn't only affect the so-called Islamic terrorists, but also other religions that do not follow the doctrines of Christianity/Judaism (who, face it pray to the same God).....what this does is insult anyone ho do not believe that the Christian God is the only one. They are (in a very underhanded way) encouraging montheism - how very Victorian of them. Next thing we know they'll bring out the trusty ol' guillotine again & start chopping heads ;)

I honestly think you have misunderstood babe.

To me the examples he gave were exactly that. Examples. They were not an exhaustive list. The impression I got was that he was saying that you can wear a symbol of your faith as long as it is not "big". As we have banned Muslim girls from wearing Burkas then it is only fair and equitable that similar rules apply to all other religions.

I would like to make it clear that with this post I am not saying I like Chirac or agree with the bulk of his policies, just that if we are going to flame him it should be for banning the burka in the first place and then having to do this or be accused of targetting muslims.

Gotnolegs said:
I honestly think you have misunderstood babe.

To me the examples he gave were exactly that. Examples. They were not an exhaustive list. The impression I got was that he was saying that you can wear a symbol of your faith as long as it is not "big". As we have banned Muslim girls from wearing Burkas then it is only fair and equitable that similar rules apply to all other religions.

I would like to make it clear that with this post I am not saying I like Chirac or agree with the bulk of his policies, just that if we are going to flame him it should be for banning the burka in the first place and then having to do this or be accused of targetting muslims.

Hun, I understood that it was mere examples, but singling out those specific ones he did indicate that he is more tolerant towards Christian/Jewish symbols. As a world leader he should be aware of the implications of his statements - both which is said & which is merely implied, albeit not intentionally. And statements regarding religion and the banning of religious dress etc. especially should be considered carefully as they have far-reaching effects in the world we live in today, where religion plays a very important role in state decisions - very definitely in decisions made by leaders of predominantly Muslem countries, since Islam is not only a religion but in fact intrinsic to the political, social and economic fabric of the country.

And the reason I am dissing Chirac is exactly for what you said - the banning of the burka in the first place. Like I said before (to Chic I think) - it's a slap in the face of democracy & a regression to Victorian ages.

AlphaTroll said:
Hun, I understood that it was mere examples, but singling out those specific ones he did indicate that he is more tolerant towards Christian/Jewish symbols. As a world leader he should be aware of the implications of his statements - both which is said & which is merely implied, albeit not intentionally. And statements regarding religion and the banning of religious dress etc. especially should be considered carefully as they have far-reaching effects in the world we live in today, where religion plays a very important role in state decisions - very definitely in decisions made by leaders of predominantly Muslem countries, since Islam is not only a religion but in fact intrinsic to the political, social and economic fabric of the country.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised that he managed to include a muslim symbol in his list. I'd be hard pushed to think of a well known buddhist or hindu symbol.

And the reason I am dissing Chirac is exactly for what you said - the banning of the burka in the first place. Like I said before (to Chic I think) - it's a slap in the face of democracy & a regression to Victorian ages.

Couldn't agree more. Forcing orthodox jews to abandon their traditional dress would raise an outcry across the globe, but it seems that we are allowed to discriminate against muslims and force them to dress like westerners.

Gotnolegs said:
To be honest I was pleasantly surprised that he managed to include a muslim symbol in his list. I'd be hard pushed to think of a well known buddhist or hindu symbol.

Hmmm, he did? I must have missed, babe do you have a copy of that list? Buddhist symbols could probably include the saffron robes worn by the monks.......their beads (108 strung together to symbolise the desires to overcome in order to reach nirvana). Hindu's could include the Ohm symbols which many wear on their neclaces etc.

Couldn't agree more. Forcing orthodox jews to abandon their traditional dress would raise an outcry across the globe, but it seems that we are allowed to discriminate against muslims and force them to dress like westerners.

In a way the same could be said about forcing Africans (for instance Bushmen of SA, Masai of Kenya, Shona of Zimbabwe etc) to dress according to Western standards. However, they aren't forbidden to wear them, it's just more acceptable according to Western standards to wear more than they usually do. I agree that forcing Muslem people to discard traditional religious wear & not doing the same to others (worldwide) would & should cause a moral outcry.

AlphaTroll said:
Hmmm, he did? I must have missed, babe do you have a copy of that list? Buddhist symbols could probably include the saffron robes worn by the monks.......their beads (108 strung together to symbolise the desires to overcome in order to reach nirvana). Hindu's could include the Ohm symbols which many wear on their neclaces etc.

The Hand of Fatima. Fatima is thought to be the daughter of the prophet Mohammed though some people think the symbol has its origins in pre-islamic paganism.

Gotnolegs said:
The Hand of Fatima. Fatima is thought to be the daughter of the prophet Mohammed though some people think the symbol has its origins in pre-islamic paganism.

Ah - Hand of Fatima.....misread that, just got the 'Fatima' part & had it as the Catholic 'miracle'.

BTW, I was just thinking, another Hindu symbol is the red dot they put on their foreheads - would that also be banned?

And some religions place special value on the colours of their clothes, would this be regarded religious symbolism & included under the ban?

How about the un-cut hair of a sikh? Let's face it, it is an unworkable proposition and will probably fade into obscurity.

It's the french rastafarians I feel most sorry for.....it takes ages to grow a good head of dreads :(

Back