French Tourists Arrive in New York

unclehobart

Gas-like odor permeates parts of Manhattan

(AP)NEW YORK - Authorities were investigating the source of a mysterious gas-like odor Monday that stretched across a large part of Manhattan, including Rockefeller Center.

The Fire Department began getting calls about the odor around 9 a.m. Monday, said spokesman Tim Hinchey. No source had been identified.

There also were unconfirmed reports of a similar smell across the river in New Jersey.

Part of the New York-New Jersey PATH commuter train system was shut due to the smell.

“The service has been suspended between Hoboken and 33rd (Street) and Journal Square and 33rd pending an investigation by Con Ed and the fire department,” PATH spokesman Pasquale Difulco said.

Macy’s department store in Midtown was evacuated, according to reports on the WNBC Web site, and CNN reported that one office building had been evacuated.

Utility officials with utility company Consolidated Edison had no immediate comment.

In August, a gaseous smell hit parts of Queens and Staten Island, sending seven people to the hospital.

Consolidated Edison officials had no immediate comment.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16524813/

What's up with the title? The story said nothing about French tourists hiding or running from the area...

You do realise that natural gas is odourless, doncha? They add a smell to it to make it detectable.

All of the reports I read merely say that it is safe... not what the heck the stuff is.

I think I would want to know what the heck the stuff was.

You see inky, it is you who is missing his obvious joke :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

Turns out to be lousy drainage....

January 9, 2007 -- Who cut the cheese?

New Jersey, apparently.

Across the length and breadth of Manhattan, people were asking, "What's that smell?" after a pungent odor like natural gas or rotten eggs blanketed the borough and northern New Jersey for three hours yesterday morning.

By evening, the answer seemed to be a stinky gas emitted by a New Jersey swamp or marsh.

"That's where our noses and instruments tell us" the smell was coming from, said Charles Sturcken, a spokesman for the city Department of Environmental Protection.

The theory is within "the realm of possibility," said Stephen Jones, a spokesman for the New Jersey office of Emergency Management.

The odor, which sparked fears of terrorism, had people jamming 911 and Con Ed lines from Battery Park to Inwood from river to river.

"It was really, really bad, so bad it gave me a headache," said Kate Browne, who lives in the West Village

Back