funny billboards

tonksy

Luis G said:
A symbol of love with a price tag is materialistic.
And it isn't actually a symbol of love anyway.
but it is a symbol of love. why on earth would you buy someone an engagement ring if you didn't love them....now whether or not it is lasting love is another issue.
i love little babbles like rings and necklaces...i'm like a fucking magpie but what is important when it comes to engagement rings (at least in my eyes) is that they are an embodied representation of love. you simply can not put a price tag on that. it needs to be something that the male offering the ring wants to see on his loves finger. if he is not proud of his choice it is null and void. if a cubic zirconia is of enough beauty to satisfy this and if the woman is pleased with the offering who cares how much it costs...or am i just a damn hippy?

kuulani

my mother-in-law bought back some black pearls from her trip to the Cook Islands, and that's what my husband and I mounted on our wedding rings :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
tonksy said:
but it is a symbol of love. why on earth would you buy someone an engagement ring if you didn't love them....now whether or not it is lasting love is another issue.

It is more like a tradition to me. Expensive stuff being a symbol of love is marketing and materialism. If the ring is inexpensive for you (500,000 is not expensive for Bill Gates and 5,000 is just too much for me) and you still want to give it then by all means do so.

We seem to agree in the part of "it is not the price what's important".

BeardofPants

Let me qualify: engagement rings. I have a few rings ... one diamond ring given to me for my 21st. I dont' wear 'em though.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
who cares what the stone is as long as the ring is pretty, lasts the test of time, and doesn't turn your finger funny colors? putting a price tag on a symbol of love is awful...materialistic....but on the other hand i agree with nix, if you lie about the ring you're an asshole to begin with.

Exactly...it doesn't matter what it is..it's the lying part that isn't cool.

The 2 reasons I can see for lying are that he doesn't wanna admit he can't afford diamond or he CAN afford it but doesn't wanna admit he doesn't WANNA buy it...

If the guy is honest then it's all good whatever it is

Uki Chick

HomeLAN said:
That's my point. Good luck finding that under $1k these days, especially the "test of time" portion.

I picked out my ring with the hubby and he didn't have to spend too much money. I didn't care if it cost him 500 or 5000. The point was the commitment and the symbolism of the ring. not the ring itself.

tonksy

if i ever get married or whatever again i think i would like a simple irish wedding ring (silver of course...stone optional)...i had a traditional engagement ring before and the damn stone setting was so tall it was a pain in the butt to do things with your hands without it getting caught on stuff.

Professur

imagewrap.img

Perhaps a claddagh ring?

Winky

tonksy said:
why did you bump this thread, you strange man?

Yeah that he is.
But I applaud his misbegotten attempts
to keep this place from reaching room temperature.